NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

History of astronomy

jambouk

I'd started a thread in the "suggestions" area about the possibility of a section for threads related to the history of astronomy:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/259830-history-of-astronomy/#entry2843722

Unfortunately it seems threads there don't appear as new content, hence this thread.

I wonder if there are other SGL members who'd be interested in a forum area dedicated to topics related to the history of astronomy, whether ancient history, or that related to famous scientists, or to the history of local astronomical societies (something I'm interested in).

James

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I commend you on a great Eureka moment James.

Astronomy is the oldest of the sciences, although in this modern era, it comprises of many

of the sciences. I would hope it can get started, if for no other reason than the inspiration that can 

follow from learning about the dedication displayed by those early devotees.

+1 for a great idea. Anything can be included since....umm.... well the big bang I guess lol. The thing is - on a forum someone will always come up with some fascinating thing you didn't otherwise know (especially me). :)

Alan Chapman of Oxford uni' is probably the best known expert regarding this subject, a google or two might be productive

+1 for Allan, he always presents a fine lecture at the Leeds Astromeet each year, the last one being about Patrick Moore.

I got his latest book Stargazers for Christmas and it's an excellent read.

I think it's a superb idea. I love history and I love astronomy. I have done a few idle searches for books on the history of astronomy from Babylon (or before) onwards, and nothing came up, but give me a section on the subject and I'll be a regular reader.

Great Idea James.

I have to admit that when my 'Astronomy Now' magazine arrives each month,the first thing I turn to is the regular column 'Key moments in Astronomy',which covers the doings of some of the more obscure Astronomers of yore.

It's never less than interesting,to me at least.

I think it's a superb idea. I love history and I love astronomy. I have done a few idle searches for books on the history of astronomy from Babylon (or before) onwards, and nothing came up, but give me a section on the subject and I'll be a regular reader.

There is this book: Cosmos: An Illustrated History of Astronomy & Cosmology.  It is pretty comprehensive but is heavy going and at 736 pages takes some getting through.

Do any moderators know how I make a formal application for this? There seems to be a number of other members interested in this.

James

Perhaps John and Barkis could be our History Champions and take this to the Admin team?

Another admirer of the idea here. I did UCLAN's one year History of Astronomy course as part of a Cert He programme a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I can heartily recommend this course. If the thread happens I'll be happy to write about it. It would be good to share reading rocommendations and book reviews as well.

Olly

Archived