Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best views of the year.

cotterless45

These are my highlights of the year:

1. Got the rock-steady pup with 120ED under extremely good seeing, even got it with 80ED

2. Excellent view of North American in 80ED with filters(OIII specifically).

3. 6 straight clear nights in mid-august with over 70 new DSO,  with some of the Stephen's Quintet baged.

4. Lunar eclipse

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blowing the horsehead out the water with a bigger scope on the IoW, the few people behind me who saw it will agree.... Photographic! (Full arc of barnards loop probably came second). Big globs in big dobs are always a special sight.... Like a big pile of sparkling little crystals!

Hoping for clearer 2016

PeterW

As 2015 grinds to a close , I wonder what views you will remember. It's been a very difficult year here. The forecasts have mainly been as wildly out as the weather itself. There's been very few runs of successive clear nights or clear nights with good seeing.

I recall the structure of M33 seen from a very dark site on north Skye and the "Owl" and some lovely exciting views of Jupiter.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hoping for clear skies !

Nick.

I think for me Nick it has to be the solar and lunar eclipses... Both were breathtaking moments with I think the solar being slightly more dramatic but the lunar especially beautiful. I saw the solar from the car park at the rear of my flat and the lunar on a beach in Corfu. I'll never forget either :-)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Some highlights through 2015 include

Locating the Intergalactic Tramp NGC 2419, faint and very distant Globular between Gemini and Lynx

Glimpsing the Horse Head nebula for the first (and so far only) time

Unforgettable surprise to encounter a spectacular profile of the North American nebula through my 8" F6 dobsonian, using an OIII and 21 Ethos, underneath A SQM 21.5 sky

Seeing the central star in M27

Sitting back at my obs on my allotment with binoculars mounted onto a monopod observing the progression of the lunar eclipse

Visiting favourite galaxies such as NGC 2683 UFO and NGC 4565 Needle and planetary nebula such as NGC 6781 Th Ghost of the Moon in Aquila

very nice collection Iain...

Thanks

Very much looking forward to opportunities for observing this year 

Lets hope that we get some favourable and preferably colder weather systems soon, though not looking too great again for the next few days and nights.

Archived