Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY PoleMaster

johnrt

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are not missing anything Peter, you can't change the colours using the PoleMaster software.

However it is not quite a simulation...years of writing software has allowed me to learn a few tricks...hopefully QHYCCD will implement the changes in the next release?

Well it looks like we are going to get another month of cloud now, Mine just arrived today :icon_biggrin:

As someone who has to setup every night and due to an eye condition cannot see through the pole scope this is going to save me SO much time.
Until now I have relied on drift aligning but it takes far too long.

Will spend an hour or so tomorrow night after work fitting it and installed the software etc...
I have next week off work so really hoping for at least one clear night to give it a bash

Well I got a few clear spells tonight to try it for the first time, Oh my god.
It took a few minutes to figure the software out, but it took me longer to wait for clear patches in between the clouds than it did to get aligned.

To say I am over the moon is an understatement.

One question I have is in regards to the other stars. Are they all meant to align perfectly within the centre of the circles that it gives or not?
If so then there is room for improvement but as a first attempt I am more than happy

And it gets easier with practice!!

Regarding how well the stars line-up within the template, I think it depends on how accurately you have double-clicked on (the centre of) Polaris - the program knows how far from Polaris each of the stars are and the relative angles and so the template is rotating around Polaris, or, to be more precise, exactly where you have said (the centre of) Polaris is. I think the tool is a little coarse (or maybe it's just my laptop's mouse that is a little coarse) for this exercise. The cross being white in the enlargement circle, so it gets completely obscured by Polaris as you are doing this, does not help. Maybe adding an extra step to click on a couple of other stars once the template is 'aligned' so the program could make a better approximation would make it slightly more accurate, but I doubt it would be worth it - an approximation will do.

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting a polemaster as I am having some probs ( not major more annoying). My scope is on a permanent pier in a home made obsy, I have been using the eqmod to polar align and have gone as long as 1200 secs ( just trying it out) anyway if i set up say 600sec exposures x 10 (just an example) and leave my mount run, when I check it in the motning my first 15  or so subs are ok but then the rest have gone off track and streaking I,m guessing this is down to polar alignment? if so then I may well try the polemaster out, I have tried drift alignment using PHD buit still hit that wall, only thing i can think of is polar alignment

I must admit after I wrote the post I remembered the meridian line, so it sort of ties in with it i think ( im thinking about 2 hrs worth then it goes skewith). I am guiding with Maxim now  havnt really looked at the graph except at the beginning and all looked good, I am just setting up now even though its windy, the plan is to leave it run taking 300 sec subs 

EDIT reading that didnt make sense, what i mean is after about two hrs i would say its crossing the meridian line

I just wanted to share my solution to fit this camera on a Celestron CGE mount (as there are no commercial solution as I've found).

Here are also a 10 min unguided exposure after my alignment. it was taken with an ATIK 320C through a Megrez 90 f/6.2:

M31 10min x1 unguided orginal.jpg

20161013_205943_resized.jpg

QHYCCD have updated the PoleMaster software to support colour/mono display:

V132(beta7)
Updated: Changed the + cross haris from white to green, made it more longer and taller.
Updated: Optimized the 'star Template', eliminated the 8 spikes radiating from the circles.
Added: a [Mono Style] option to switch screen style between color and mono.

I think i will get the polemaster as I am now pretty sure it has to be my polar alignment. As I understand it my 3 star (or however many) alignment is just for pointing the scope accuratly whereas polar alignment is for my tracking ( the better the polar alignment the better the tracking?). Looking at my lights and flicking through them like a slide show my stars go off in a curve  ( admittedly this is over a few hours ). My polar alignment because I am on a pier mount i dont do often but when i do I use the eqmod polar alignment tool and i let eqmod put the little circle exactly where it should be then i put the pole star in it. Then I park the scope to home. I thought that would have been good enough. On my guiding (I am using Maxim) everything starts off well i can see the X and Y axis and its always under 0.1 ( or something like that) but after a while (about an hour or so ) you can see it creeping up 1.6  2.4  etc etc and its that that i dont get, surely it would creep up straight from the off? i reduced aggresion down to 5 and this did help also i ticked the box ( damm it cant remember the name but something like sticky) that helped also.

Waiting for a clear sky to test my new toy.  I tried to get it working on Ubuntu running under WINE with some success.  Once I updated WINE to 1.9.20 I was able to install it and the software starts okay (but has a tendency to crash when you click the "file" tab).  Unfortunately it's unable to connect to the PoleMaster device (it works fine on my Windows laptop).   I've installed the device drivers but lsusb just lists a generic usb device.  Not sure I have the time (or experience) to mess around with it any more.

Cheers, I've found a few threads on various forums of people asking about polemaster on linux but i haven't come across anyone having got it working.  I haven't seen the INDI forum before though, it looks really interesting.  I'd love to get it running on the rPi I've got lying around (though I've been using my linux laptop for testing).

Used the latest Polemaster software build last night. No imaging due to moon,  just trying to fine tune my guiding.

Good to see the 'Green Cross' is back! General tidy up of the interface and clearer details on alignment axis circle and rectangle.
Seems like a good upgrade.

Archived