Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally, M33 Spiral Structure

StarSapling

After over 35 years of observing (most of that time using a 10" reflector), I was finally able to definitely make out the spiral structure of M33, last night!  Using a 120mm refractor!

12/1/2015 - Oracle, Arizona - seeing good - trans good - obs. Good
20x80 Bins
120mm f5 refractor
M33 - Gal. - 20x80’s - Very large, roundish patch of nebulosity - somewhat elongated north/south - brighter core area - hints of dark mottling across surface
120mm refractor- 60x - First time I have definitely seen this galaxy’s spiral structure! - clockwise spiral - two large arms, or groups of arms, one emerging from southwest side of core, one emerging from northeast side of core - large knot of nebulosity near end of northeast arm (NGC604), field star involved with it? - some dark mottling around core, which at times gave impression of being part of the spiral structure - Awesome!!!! - It is true:  the more you look, the more you see!

After over 35 years of observing (most of that time using a 10" reflector), I was finally able to definitely make out the spiral structure of M33, last night!  Using a 120mm refractor!

12/1/2015 - Oracle, Arizona - seeing good - trans good - obs. Good
20x80 Bins
120mm f5 refractor
M33 - Gal. - 20x80’s - Very large, roundish patch of nebulosity - somewhat elongated north/south - brighter core area - hints of dark mottling across surface
120mm refractor- 60x - First time I have definitely seen this galaxy’s spiral structure! - clockwise spiral - two large arms, or groups of arms, one emerging from southwest side of core, one emerging from northeast side of core - large knot of nebulosity near end of northeast arm (NGC604), field star involved with it? - some dark mottling around core, which at times gave impression of being part of the spiral structure - Awesome!!!! - It is true:  the more you look, the more you see!

Glad to hear you got some observing done... I'll catch M33 again and look for what you describe.... next september? :rolleyes:

M33 proved a strangely easy target for me, last time I saw it, showing up in both my 9x50 finder and 5" newt... I should have tried my 10x50s as well, really...

Sounds like a good night out was had, I've found that from the same site, same scope, same eyepiece that M33 changes so much, hints of spirals one night, feint grey blob the next, I suppose its why I always revisit the same targets as well as adding a few new ones when out observing.

the more you look, the more you see!

Oh how true this is!!!

I think its all too easy to start wishing for larger aperture or looking for 'the magic bullet' of EP's when all you really need to do is look a little harder and longer.

The biggest frac I've looked through was 100mm so I can kinda understand why you are so happy seeing detail in galaxies. :)

I very much agree with and advocate spending a good period of time studying an object whether it's a faint DSO or a planet or the Moon :smiley:

With objects like M33 it's surprising how much you can tease out of them when you get a nice dark, transparent night. More aperture helps as well of course - even more to tease out then !

Over the past 12 months I've also found that using higher magnifications helps the "teasing out" process so I've been tending to use low power and wide views to find and centre the target object and then add some magnification so that the target fills more of the field of view. With extended objects such as M31, M33, M101 etc I also use quite high powers to examine segments of the object in detail. I've picked up all sorts of interesting clumps and knots this way that I'd overlooked at lower powers. It's also a good way to spot the fainter central stars of planetary nebulae such as M27 and M57. Some of the smaller planetary nebulae need high power just to distinguish them from stars !

Over the past 12 months I've also found that using higher magnifications helps the "teasing out" process so I've been tending to use low power and wide views to find and centre the target object and then add some magnification so that the target fills more of the field of view. With extended objects such as M31, M33, M101 etc I also use quite high powers to examine segments of the object in detail. I've picked up all sorts of interesting clumps and knots this way that I'd overlooked at lower powers. It's also a good way to spot the fainter central stars of planetary nebulae such as M27 and M57. Some of the smaller planetary nebulae need high power just to distinguish them from stars !

Always been a great believer in using higher powers on DSO.  You want a big object to see it better and the extra contrast this brings is also of great benefit when teasing out the finer details.

Ramp that power right up and get inside some objects. You'll be amazed at what you can see. 

Should add; good dark adaption is essential. 

Have fun out there :)

Archived