Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are you braving the fireworks tonight?

Drop Of Sun

Anybody set up for astro tonight? I am hoping to get some views in with my dob (first of the new season!), it's outside and cooling down but I'm not sure it's a great idea with lots of bangs going off at the mo and the smell of smoke in the air! Targets-wise I have no idea, it's been ages since I have been out, apart from it looks like M81 & 82 will be a decent height later.

Humph...the only meteors I'm seeing are coming straight up  :mad: .

It's clear but not terribly transparent so still debating whether to set up. The patio's still drenched so not sure whether to run the power out.

I'm set n waiting...looking at the sat imagery, its clear to the West of the Midlands but spontaneous cloud seems to be developing over my location!

I'm not hopeful! But my logic was that the bonfires would all be over by 11ish!

Ray

There's a lot of very low cloud which the IR sat is not picking up very well. I have the AllSky camera outside and watching the clouds roll on by... Some gaps, but I think just asking for frustration in expecting a gap to last long enough to aquire an image. I don't think fireworks will be a big problem here.

ChrisH

I set-up in the back garden before taking the kids to the local display.  Lovely and clear when I set up, and all the time I was at the fireworks, but back home now and 70% cloud cover  :BangHead:.  Might get a few clear spells later, will see what it looks like after the pizza has been eaten  B).

My luck's been in, had a decent session despite some cloud around, south was clouded out for a while but I managed a good view of M15 glob when it cleared a bit there. I think my collimation is good tonight, clearest detail I've seen in the Veil, even though I've seen it brighter! Tried for the bubble nebula, could see not a hint at all! Took in some clusters in Cassiopeia. Tempted to hold out for Orion nebula!

DoS. Yes indeed. I had a look for m33 when it cleared and found it easily. 8-). Im happy for once. Now, if it would like to be clear 4:30am ish I would like to get a few pics and view jupiter. Im not holding my breath though.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Lot of thin high cloud here now, in fact i could see it earlier as faint orange-ish streaks against the sky, but it's now pretty well over the whole lot. When I went out earlier to put some rubbish out I could see the cars covered in heavy dew.

Been enjoying all the free fireworks shows in the neighbourhood, but is it just me that the sky has seemed that bit clearer right when no one in their right mind would take expensive and delicate kit outside?

Irony not lost...

Still, nice to see Orion again...

Glad some other folks ventured out!

Kev, well done with M33, I had a look at that one too, a pretty decent view, a hint of detail beyond the core.

Charl, hard luck with those clouds, hope you catch a better night soon.

Chris, we definitely had some stealth cloud here, all looked good on the Beeb forecast :grin: Just lucky it was mostly a touch south until the north was overwhelmed at the end of my session!

davedownsouth, isn't that always the way! Like I was just about to head out on Saturday when the clouds finally gave a glimpse of the sun.  :rolleyes: Hope the pizza was good.

DaveyT, hope your scope survived the rockets :grin: A rocket in my dob would have spoilt the session somewhat.

DaveS, the stuff was sopping when I bought it in after 11! No problem with dew while viewing for a few hours earlier, I guess there was enough wind here to keep it at bay.

Mr Spock, hard luck with the smoke. It's a highly illogical activity.

libraryman, well done getting your three subs in. I was super happy to get a quick fix on the sun earlier in the day, think it had been about a month, which might be the longest since I got hooked on solar a few years ago :eek:

Well done seeing Orion, JimFR, I didn't quite manage it apart from I could see the stars in the belt with the Mk1 eyeball from a place where no dob has been before!

Well it dried up a bit this morning, *Just* enough to get a fruit tree (Egremont Russet on M27 to train as a stepover) and some bushes (5 Glen Ample raspberries and a Medana Tayberry) in. I've two more (Early Transparent Gage and Violetta plum on Pixie stocks) to go in but I'll have to wait until the ground dries out enough for it to be safe to use my new SDS hammer drill with a chisel to break up some buried paving slabs. *exactly* where I want to put the trees. It's very mild out, didn't need anything more than a pullover, but it's blowing a bit and there's rain in the air.

Archived