Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First go at Imaging: M31, what else! ;-)

Xiga

Hey fellow gazers,

So having recently jumped on the AP bandwagon, by getting a SW 80ED, I simply had to give it a test run earlier in the week when the skies were actually clear (for a change!).

My backyard is not far from a busy city centre, so LP is a major problem. I've no LP filter as yet, so I was limited to 220 sec subs, before the histogram went past half way. The details are as follows:

21 x 220 sec dithered subs (total 77 mins) at ISO 400. Unmodified Canon 60D

360 Bias, 25 Flats, 25 Darks.

HEQ5Pro

SW 80ED with 0.85 FF/FR

QHY5 & Finder Guider

Software: APT, PHD2, DSS, PI LE (for DBE only), PS CC

Have had a few goes at processing, and came up with the 3 versions below. Still can't quite decide which I prefer, but possibly the 3rd one?

Need to get better at processing, and more importantly, get out to a proper dark sky location so I can up the exposure time and get lots more data to work with.

I'll post a link to the raw stacked Fits file tomorrow, in case anyone wants to have a play.

Advice/Critique more than welcome! :-)

I'm curious, does any quality get lost in the upload process? 

I've just noticed that on my computer the images look considerably sharper, and with more colour (especially in the stars) compared to the ones i've attached above. 

The Jpeg's aren't even that big, between 4 and 15 MB in size. 

I'm curious, does any quality get lost in the upload process? 

I've just noticed that on my computer the images look considerably sharper, and with more colour (especially in the stars) compared to the ones i've attached above. 

The Jpeg's aren't even that big, between 4 and 15 MB in size. 

I think they are heavily compressed, I had a ~3meg jpg that appeared to reduce to a 500kb one.

Archived