Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen SSW 83 Degree EP's

Jim Steele

I have a set of the Vixen SSW's on loan from First Light Optics and I'm working on a review for this forum. I'm comparing them to Tele Vue Ethos and Pentax XW eyepieces.

I cant wait to see what you make of these EP's. I do love my Vixen EP's and ive fallen for these just by the colours (how shallow am i). Mind you the price is a bit out of my range. 

Thanks for posting the link YKSE :laugh: . An interesting read, don't the Yanks get their knickers in a twist a lot when people don't agree with them!! :p  :p

I must say that I don't personally like the multi-coloured-swapshop look of the new Vixens, I think the old LVW range looked much more "premium" and "up market". Of course, the big test of any eyepiece is the optics, and clearly Don in the US was very underwhelmed. It would be interesting to see a UK comparo between the new Vixen SSWs and Baader Morpheus at some point? Just based on what I have read so far, the Vixens will have their work cut out to compete with the new Baaders...

Dave

I cant wait to see what you make of these EP's. I do love my Vixen EP's and ive fallen for these just by the colours (how shallow am i). Mind you the price is a bit out of my range. 

I've always wondered why manufacturers colour code their EPs, these vixens, starguider/ explorers etc.... Surely in the dark you still have to look at the numbers on the barrel  :huh:

:p

I've always wondered why manufacturers colour code their EPs, these vixens, starguider/ explorers etc.... Surely in the dark you still have to look at the numbers on the barrel  :huh:

:p

Its so people like me part easily with their cash at 2am while drunk when they see pretty things online. To me they look like a cross between the NPL and SLV range. I cant see if they are 1.25" or 2". 

Haha the more i type the more my devil inside is telling me to "buy buy buy". I will wait for John's review.

...... It would be interesting to see a UK comparo between the new Vixen SSWs and Baader Morpheus at some point? Just based on what I have read so far, the Vixens will have their work cut out to compete with the new Baaders...

Dave

FLO have promised me the loan of some of the Morpheus eyepieces when they have been returned from being reviewed and photographed for another publication. Should be soon I hope :smiley:

FLO have promised me the loan of some of the Morpheus eyepieces when they have been returned from being reviewed and photographed for another publication. Should be soon I hope :smiley:

Just to be clear, I'm aiming to post a report on the Vixen SSW's before the Morpheus eyepieces arrive. If I can hold onto the SSW's and compare them with the Morpheus as a follow up that would be nice :smiley:

All the current ones are 1.25".

Thanks for that John. I had a feeling they were 1.25". If i was to pay this much for these EP's, i'd want them in the 2" format for use with my 8SE. 

If and when the 2" format is released, i see a big clearance sale of most of my existing EP's (i'll hold on to my Hyperion zoom and existing Vixens).

Knowing me though i'll most likely hang on to all my EP's for use with my other scopes which can not use 2" EP. Not like cheap plossl's are worth much on the resale market. 

Sorry, i'm all over the place with my thoughts here. I blame the medication i'm on (all legal and approved by my doctor). 

It must be sweet to observe with a 2" EP that has a FOV of 80+ degrees.  

IIRC, my 8SE is able to take both 1.25" and 2". Did it come with a 2" adapter or do i need to buy a 2" visual back adapter thingie. I know the zoom came with a 2" adapter.

Sorry again.............i'm thinking aloud and talking to myself.

Just checking out the Morpheus. They are quite a bit cheaper, but you certainly cant laugh at Baader products. The FOV is narrower. Would that be a deal breaker though im wondering. I now cant wait to hear how they both compare to each other.

I'll watch this space or the review space. No rush John............once the review is in by Christmas. LOL.

Just noticed that the new Vixen only go up to 14mm. The Morpheus dont go much higher either. 

My excitement is quickly fading. 

I have a set of the Vixen SSW's on loan from First Light Optics and I'm working on a review for this forum. I'm comparing them to Tele Vue Ethos and Pentax XW eyepieces.

Magic, John I knew you would have the answers :smiley: I will look forwards (impatiently) for the review :grin:

As an enthused SLV owner, I was really up for these when they were first announced. I was hoping they could possibly be similar to SLV's but with a much more expansive field of view.

After reading Don's review, and seeing the price tag, hearing about the eye relief, I've already kind of discounted them as a possible purchase.

Of course I'll still be very very interested to hear what John makes of them, and especially compared to the Morpheus which I've heard good things about. The price looks less wallet breaking too.    

I tried a pair of SSW 14's at the IAS show on the Vixen stand.

I rather liked them. No issues with the eye relief, and i like their size and the twist up eyecups.

I'm only interested in them for bino-viewing purposes

The Morpheus, and Delos are simply too big imho for use in a bino-viewer.

Really looking forward to reading your review John........!

How will they compare to Televue Naglers i wonder......................??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Whether on Webastro, CN, Astrotreff or other, still no feedback... Are they really not that interesting ?

Apart from my own piece and Don Pensack's short piece on them on CN I've not found any other report on these either.

Archived