Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4 hrs of Iris...

I was warned about imaging the Iris nebula a while ago and I now know why! My Mum was an Iris so I wanted to do this partly in her memory, and partly because I am blumming minded...

4 Hrs of 10 min exposures, iso 1600, UHC filter, calibration frames. Stacked in DSS, massive gradient removed in DBE and processed in Photoshop CC.

I can't say I am really happy with it and it has a brown tinge, which is OK i suppose as it is a 'dusty' skyscape. Anyway, I'm putting Iris to bed now for a while.

post-35654-0-60933200-1441878985_thumb.j

That looks quite good to me. Why were you advised against imaging it?, if I could see it from my location, I'd give it a go. 

I think if you spent more nights gathering subs, and perhaps use different filters such as OIII as well as the UHC you would get a bit more color distinctions and perhaps more of the darker details.

That looks quite good to me. Why were you advised against imaging it?, if I could see it from my location, I'd give it a go. 

I think if you spent more nights gathering subs, and perhaps use different filters such as OIII as well as the UHC you would get a bit more color distinctions and perhaps more of the darker details.

Just that as a beginner, there are easier and more attractive DSO's. There was a massive gradient on the stacked image. Sort of red fading to blue across the image as soon as I did any stretching. I used DBE (Pixinsight LE) on the autosave file but that tends to 'flatten' and take some detail and vibrance from the file, in my experience. Without removing the gradient, I would have had nothing worth processing!

Ha ha..just see my description of myself as 'bl**dy minded' has been changed to 'blumming'! Thank god for the thought police...

It's a good job I'm not a moderator as the temptation of amusing edits to posts would be more than I could bear.

Just that as a beginner, there are easier and more attractive DSO's. There was a massive gradient on the stacked image. Sort of red fading to blue across the image as soon as I did any stretching. I used DBE (Pixinsight LE) on the autosave file but that tends to 'flatten' and take some detail and vibrance from the file, in my experience. Without removing the gradient, I would have had nothing worth processing!

Don't use to many samples in DBE and make sure non are on the faint stuff.

I normally let it chose the samples then move or delete any on the object or faint stuff

and if there are non in the corners I stick one in each corner.

I really think you've got some good data there- you just need to get the right processing.

Here's my quick process of your first jpeg data:

That's impressive... What programme/techniques/tools did you use?

Tim.

My re-work was all done in Photoshop Elements 12 (the budget version!) with the help of two pluggins: Noel Carbonis Actions & Hasta La Vista Green

I can't remember my exact work flow, but it was something like this:

1) Save your jpeg file as a tiff file for working on.

2) Open the tiff file in Camera RAW Mode and adjust the colour temperature and tint sliders.

3) In Photoshop run Auto Colour Correction- sometimes (but not always) does a very good job of achieving a nice colour balance.

4) Then into Levels for a final tweak in each colour channel.

5) Due to the large number of green sensors in DSLR's HLVG is always worth a run.

Then in Noels Actions:

6) Space Noise Reduction - Noise reduction for the darker areas of the image

7) Deep Space Noise Reduction - Noise reduction for only darkest areas of the image

8) Lighten Only DSO and Dimmer Stars - Lighten Nebula or Galaxy while keeping stars small

9) Increase Star Color - Brings color back to whited-out stars

You could definately get more out of your original RAW data.

Thanks,

I have PS, Noels actions and HLVG so have had a play. I can't quite get the dust as distinctive as you have but I am happy with the result. I didn't realise you could apply a camera raw filter to non RAW files. The auto colour function is also good. I hadn't tried that before. That is useful. Thanks! Here is my reworking of the Crop I posted earlier. Still natural feeling but with more dust!

post-35654-0-92361800-1442084412_thumb.p

Archived