Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What power souce

Hi

I have being using mains electric supply (with adaptor) to the mount to operate my scope outside. However this requires me to leave door open, and now autumn is approaching i feel i should have a battery supply,

Do people recommend the  skywatcher powertank or the lithium tracer power packs?

I have a celestron 8"SCT with a avx mount. At the moment no dew removers or autoguiders in operation 

ta 

Dean

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power Tanks mostly are Starterbatteries - will not last long as not designed for continous slow drain.

The general advice is to buy a deep cycle battery (marine battery) and make the cables yourself. Calculate your AmpereHour usage you require and then double the value.

In my case i would require around 60aH, but i went for a 100aH battery. That thing would last me multiple nights without a problem.

If you take care of the battery and do not leave it uncharged for too long (it may not drop below around 11.9V), it will last a long time.

Downside: Those things are really heavy :)

P.s. if you search this forum you'll find a ton of threads about power supply and why you should not use starterbatteries aka Powertanks.

Regards, Graem

I have an existing SLAB (sealed lead acid battery) from my portably radio days with charger, 12v 7Ah Yuasa iirc with charger. I'm sure this could be a cheap option to power a GOTO kit with just the purchase of a lead? It won't have all the bells and whistles of a power tank but still do the job, right?

As long as it is in good nick should be fine. I used one to power my Celestron 5SE for a while. Wont last too long if you are using dew heaters though. I always charge as my batteries are being used. Then the battery is just a smoothing and conditioning source and a backup if power fails. I use an intelligent type charger. CTEK. Can be set to supply whilst in use to stop over voltage (13.6 volts) affecting the mount electronics, and on normal during off use conditions. Permanently on 13.6 supply will damage the battery as it needs charging up to 14.4 volts when it has been depleted.

Derek

Rather than put lots of information here.  I'm going to link you to a project that I'm working on to re-do the power to my scope.

Form past experience, I'm tried running my scope from 17Ah Sealed Lead Acid.  They work fine, but you need to make sure they're fully charged.  There have been times when I thought it was charged, only to have the battery die mid session.

Running heaters, and the scope adds up to quite a bit of power drain.

With that in mind, I've been using 70Ah leisure batteries without any problems. May sounds like overkill, but when you read through the posts that I've made on the thread I linked, you'll get some idea why I've made the decisions that I have.  It's a little overkill, but it works very well.

As long as it is in good nick should be fine. I used one to power my Celestron 5SE for a while. Wont last too long if you are using dew heaters though. I always charge as my batteries are being used. Then the battery is just a smoothing and conditioning source and a backup if power fails. I use an intelligent type charger. CTEK. Can be set to supply whilst in use to stop over voltage (13.6 volts) affecting the mount electronics, and on normal during off use conditions. Permanently on 13.6 supply will damage the battery as it needs charging up to 14.4 volts when it has been depleted.

Derek

I also have a CTEK Conditioner/charger as well as large leisure battery but I'm thinking of more remote locations and portability where plugging in is not an option. A leisure battery isn't travelling light though it can be kept in car providing car is near scope. Might have to have a rethink.

+1 for tracers. They hold charge, have lots of current/short protection on them, and are small, yet powerful.

I use an 8Ah one, about £100 it will run my dob and heaters for 3 nights. A motorised mount will draw more current, but a simple calculation will give you some idea of the right size for you. My tracer is the size of a packet of vacuum packed coffee.

The coffee runs me and the tracer runs my scope :)

Rather than put lots of information here.  I'm going to link you to a project that I'm working on to re-do the power to my scope.

Form past experience, I'm tried running my scope from 17Ah Sealed Lead Acid.  They work fine, but you need to make sure they're fully charged.  There have been times when I thought it was charged, only to have the battery die mid session.

With that in mind, I've been using 70Ah leisure batteries without any problems. May sounds like overkill, but when you read through the posts that I've made on the thread I linked, you'll get some idea why I've made the decisions that I have.  It's a little overkill, but it works very well.

Thanks i enjoyed reading the link you sent me. Very useful 

Be careful with Tracer batteries. The small ones are nice but cannot be charged at the same time as in use. They also come with a small or low rated charger. You can buy a larger rated one at some cost. Their charging times are slow. The LiFePo types they do are better. I bought one a while ago. 40 ah. I asked for it to be altered before I got it so that it could be charged at the same time as being used. They sent it unaltered so it was sent back to be done. At that time it cost £650. A Lot. Later on they liked the idea and made all their batteries with the facility but raised the price by £100. A couple of months later they did it again and they now cost £850.

A real rip off.

Derek

Be careful with Tracer batteries. The small ones are nice but cannot be charged at the same time as in use. They also come with a small or low rated charger. You can buy a larger rated one at some cost. Their charging times are slow. The LiFePo types they do are better. I bought one a while ago. 40 ah. I asked for it to be altered before I got it so that it could be charged at the same time as being used. They sent it unaltered so it was sent back to be done. At that time it cost £650. A Lot. Later on they liked the idea and made all their batteries with the facility but raised the price by £100. A couple of months later they did it again and they now cost £850.

A real rip off.

Derek

To me, simultaneous charging and use are not important (although I'm sure there is a strong reason for you needing this). I used to think Tracers were overpriced and not worth the money, until I got one as part of a used scope purchase. They are superb, really do hold their charge and actually seem to be the capacity which is stated.

To me, simultaneous charging and use are not important (although I'm sure there is a strong reason for you needing this). I used to think Tracers were overpriced and not worth the money, until I got one as part of a used scope purchase. They are superb, really do hold their charge and actually seem to be the capacity which is stated.

I agree with the fact that they are superb power sources but definitely not worth their exorbitant pricing now!

You can buy off the Internet at almost half the price all the components to make up the same thing with the same battery protection circuits. Which is exactly what I will do if I need another battery.

As far as I am concerned they have priced themselves out of the market!

Derek

Never had a problem with mine.

The dew heaters pull about 2W, depending what you go for.... at 12v that's 1/6 A.

Rather than spend a fortune on dew controllers, you can make one very easily using PWM motor controllers £3 off eBay..I made a 4 channel one for a total cost of £15...

Never had a problem with mine.

The dew heaters pull about 2W, depending what you go for.... at 12v that's 1/6 A.

Rather than spend a fortune on dew controllers, you can make one very easily using PWM motor controllers £3 off eBay..I made a 4 channel one for a total cost of £15...

+1 for using a PWM as a due heater controller.  I've been using Velleman K8004 kits as mine.  Going to continue to use them as I know that they are good kit.  If I was starting out, I'd definatly be getting PWM controllers off ebay.

Hi Dean,  I've got a Celestron Powertank 7.5Ah, lasts about 4 hours with dew heater and tracking.  So instead of buying the more expensive 17Ah tank I made my own.  I bought a large Stanley toolbox (£40) with wheels and internal accessory tray.  Fitted a 38Ah gel battery (£45) into a battery box I bought off eBay (£10), fitted that inside the toolbox at the axel end.  Connected that to a four outlet accessory block from Halfords (£4.99), also fitted and inline 10A fuse.  Works fine, I can observe all night long even with the dew heater on, and keep any my accessories and bits and bobs in one place.  It's also easy to transport everything out into the garden, and it doubles as a seat.

Ron

Hi Dean,  I've got a Celestron Powertank 7.5Ah, lasts about 4 hours with dew heater and tracking.  So instead of buying the more expensive 17Ah tank I made my own.  I bought a large Stanley toolbox (£40) with wheels and internal accessory tray.  Fitted a 38Ah gel battery (£45) into a battery box I bought off eBay (£10), fitted that inside the toolbox at the axel end.  Connected that to a four outlet accessory block from Halfords (£4.99), also fitted and inline 10A fuse.  Works fine, I can observe all night long even with the dew heater on, and keep any my accessories and bits and bobs in one place.  It's also easy to transport everything out into the garden, and it doubles as a seat.

Ron

Thanky ou for this info. Just clicked on your pics and seen moon, jupiter. Was that taken with your 11" SCT?  Do you use a DSLR camera? Also what do you use for tracking

Archived