Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 450D for imaging ?

Agreed.  It's a very good choice.  Just make sure you have a local copy of the latest software and drivers from Canon's site so you're not stuck if they decide to drop support for it at some point.

The 600D, 550D and 1100D also look like they'd be good choices from a noise point of view, in that order.  Some of the other models are exceptionally noisy by comparison.

This is always a good place to start if you want to read a bit more: http://dslrmodifications.com/DSLRcomparison.html

James

Agreed.  It's a very good choice.  Just make sure you have a local copy of the latest software and drivers from Canon's site so you're not stuck if they decide to drop support for it at some point.

The 600D, 550D and 1100D also look like they'd be good choices from a noise point of view, in that order.  Some of the other models are exceptionally noisy by comparison.

This is always a good place to start if you want to read a bit more: http://dslrmodifications.com/DSLRcomparison.html

James

Good link James, thanks :smiley:

I use an astro-modded 450D for imaging DSOs, and I'm very pleased with the results, good spectral response in the deep red for nebulas. It's relatively easy to modify, just follow Gary Honnis's guide (just make sure you have a good set of jewellers screwdrivers, and keep careful track of the assorted small fiddly screws). The Liveview screen is extremely helpful

I use an astro-modded 450D for imaging DSOs, and I'm very pleased with the results, good spectral response in the deep red for nebulas. It's relatively easy to modify, just follow Gary Honnis's guide (just make sure you have a good set of jewellers screwdrivers, and keep careful track of the assorted small fiddly screws). The Liveview screen is extremely helpful

Decent screwdrivers are a must! :)

I've used an unmodded 450D for a few years now, it's my daytime camera too. It's a good camera and from what I've read considered good for astrophotography. Having said that it's the only camera I have any experience with for AP. Live view makes set up and focusing very easy. I resent the time spent taking darks, but that goes with the territory of using an uncooled camera.

Archived