SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tips for all nighters?

............also keep dry and warm, layer your clothing and a comfortable recliner, and maybe some wide angle binoculars for the moments in-between?

It was Thundery here at 1700 and still overcast and windy now, so my chances are slim at present for any Perseids tonight!

Make a coffee but use a redbull instead of water..... Last time I did that, I was planning on heading out to the mountains, a dark site, about a 45 minute drive... I was half way there when I realized that I forgot my car...  :grin:

Noooo, jaffa cakes urgh :grin:

Good coffee hip flask of armagnac and a garden lounger.. But the best Perseids shower I saw was on the boat, becalmed in the middle of the Irish Sea (rare) and stopped counting after 200.

Noooo, jaffa cakes urgh :grin:

Good coffee hip flask of armagnac and a garden lounger.. But the best Perseids shower I saw was on the boat, becalmed in the middle of the Irish Sea (rare) and stopped counting after 200.

Showoff!

Lots of sleep in the afternoon before.

Trouble is that the best way is to wrap up decently, they use a decent recliner and point yourself at the relevant bit of sky.

So you get comfortable, it gets dark, you fall asleep.

Easier to stay awake if there are a number and also if you take a camera and tripod - gives you something to do.

Take a nap at some point the day / evening before. Take breaks during the session. I usually do an hours watch followed by 10 - 15 minute break for tea and Jaffa cakes. Sun lounger works well and don't forget a blanket or something, even in "summer" it can be chilly at 2 am. Personally I like to have some tunes on my headphones as well but that's just me. Oh, and I have a clipboard, clock or watch and pen to scribble some unintelligible notes in moments of excitement :grin:  If you find yourself nodding off then get up and have a walk around to try and shake it off.

Usually gets light around 4 so I head off to bed for a couple of hours before heading for work.

Enjoy

Well, I managed an all nighter! 1 Flask of coffee sipped sparingly, 2 packs of mini cheddars, music, and the excitement of 5 new DSOs kept me up! It's weird being up seeing the sun set and still being up when it's sunrise

Archived