Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Calling all Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dobsonian users

Right,  I am on the verge of parting with some hard earned cash and I think that this is where my money will be going.  I am interested in the 12" 305mm version.  I have read the threads on here and elsewhere of the early-adopters and the niggles that befell them, but am happy to perform a few tweaks if required.  I like the thought of being able to take it to family visits in more rural parts of the country without filling the boot of the car!

Question is, now that some of you will have had them for a complete year (or more), are you still happy with your choice?  Is anyone aware of any design changes to take into account some of the early issues?  Is there anything else out there for the same money that ticks the portability box too? (car seats are out as it will always travel with wife and 2 kids).

Thanks in advance

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi There,

Astroadam posted this, may not answer your base question but it looks a fine scope. :--- http://www.astrosite.co.uk/first-light-report-explore-scientific-305mm-ultralight-dobsonian-and-a-word-on-the-power-of-visual-filters/

I think that might be the same scope that russ.will used to own and Mrbloke may well have read the reports on that one on the forum already.

Apart from the 406mm ES dob that binocularsky bought at around the same time that Russell bought the 305mm I don't recall reading reports other ES dobs on here ?. I might have missed some though.

Thanks Damian, I think I have read just about every report out there (including this one), just after some retrospective opinions and the like. There is not much recent posting about the range.

They find the same lack of reports on the USA based "Cloudynights" forum. I don't think the ES dobs have been realeased there yet. I keep posting them copies of the few reports we have on here !

You may find searching some of the European forums might throw something up ?

They find the same lack of reports on the USA based "Cloudynights" forum. I don't think the ES dobs have been realeased there yet. I keep posting them copies of the few reports we have on here !

You may find searching some of the European forums might throw something up ?

Having said that I've just noticed some feedback from a 305mm owner being posted on the CN forum:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/504996-theres-a-new-dobsonian-in-town/?p=6668497

... And there was a review in the Sky at Night mag 2 issues ago in case you may not have seen it: - not adding much, but interesting to note that they also reported some issues with threads (but got it sorted), and other than that gave it a very favourable review.

Best of luck with your decision - they do seem to be a lot of highly portable scope for the money,

-Niall

Edit

Hmmm just read the CN review... It might be important to be comfortable drilling/tapping metal to go for this scope, and to set out with the expectation that some work might be necessary out of the box. People often say this of dobs - would appear particularly relevant to the ES dobs going by every review.

Not wishing to put Mrbloke off, a colleague after looking at the es bought an oo 14" intelliquest truss dob. However this has had its own issues in trying to get Orion to supply parts. I guess each comes with its own baggage.

Wow, Damian. Just read your thread with OO correspondance for spares! Ridiculous.

Don't worry about putting me off, this is the exactly the kind of talk I wanted to get. I am not too fazed about having to do some minor work if required, as it would seem that the secondary and focusser might need a little rotation anyway. Has anyone managed to do this?

It just seems you have to double the budget or more to get an equivalent ultra portable Dob.

There was a brief review in the Astroloot section of Astronomy Now July edition, under the heading a Triumph in design. Highlighted was the smooth motion, employed by large altitude segments assisted by light aluminum construction and not being pressed board is immune to dew deformity, also two cooling fans for the primary for reaching rapid equilibrium.

Just to point out, OO is normally used as an abbreviation for Orion Optics in the UK. The issues Damian has been having were with Orion in the U.S., totally different company and products.

Just to point out, OO is normally used as an abbreviation for Orion Optics in the UK. The issues Damian has been having were with Orion in the U.S., totally different company and products.

you beat me to it stu, i was just about to say the same. in defence of my 00 uk dob

Right, you only live once.  I've gone and bought one, lets hope for the best.  Now, time to research DIY shrouds... :book1:

Exactly, looks a good scope, I was looking at the 16" and I see it's in stock now. I'm trying not to pull the trigger.

I spotted these scopes a few days ago ( no pun intended ) or should I say I saw the price I had seen them before but imagined that they where in the €1.5-2k region and was amazed that the 12" was just sub €1k and the design could solve my storage space problem and allow me to go for a 12" but on closer inspection of the photos it appears you can't close the primary mirror cover because it sits in the open position outside the truss. This may be a problem if you want to leave the scope assembled to do more observing the next night or for a few days. I suppose you could put a piece of soft cloth or foam padding over it but still leaves it open to an accident

George, Although I'm in the States, my 305 mm arrived last week. It was ordered May of 2014. My scope arrived without a battery pack. Soooooo, I ordered a 5.5x2.1 mm plug with a six foot cord and plan to try a pack of eight AA batteries to test run time on the cooling fans. The D cells shipped today should provide a good bit longer run time  Anyone have any ideas on a light shroud? Best of luck with your new scope, Bob

Thanks Bob, you guys had really had it bad for supply of these.  Mine is with the courier currently.  It was due to be delivered tomorrow, but I will be out with family so have arranged for it to come on Friday.  Grrr. 

Not sure about stateside, but over here the early adopters were going to be sent battery packs FOC if they did not come with the scope (post #29)?

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/214494-explore-scientific-305mm-12-ultra-light-dobsonian/page-2

I have been thinking of a light shroud all week.  I never thought I would say this as a grown man, but I think I will buy some fabric lycra and get the seamstress (aka mother-in-law) to sew something together.  I was after some matt, heavy lycra but it seems you have to pick either matt (relatively lightweight), or heavy velvet.  I could do with something heavy duty as I have 2 streetlights outside the front of my house that will create scatter down the truss if they get the slightest chance.  Maybe 180gsm will be enough??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jet-Black-Heavy-Polyester-Stretch-MATT-Spandex-Lycra-Jersey-Fabric-150cm-Width-/281740039951?var=&hash=item419903d70f

If anyone knows any better ideas, please let us know.  I thought about ripstop, but it's not a looker when its in place (vain and pointless in the dark, I know!!!)

FWIW I don't bother with a shroud anymore on my dobs. I just use a simple light baffle. I find a shroud stifles good airflow around the mirror also a shroud seems to attract increased risk of a dew drop plopping onto the primary. Without a shroud I find I don't need fans either. Blasphemy I know but there you are :tongue:

post-18787-0-27231600-1438229040_thumb.j

I don't have the time on Dobs as our friend down in Australia but I do not use one on mine either, I don't see any downside to me not having one at the moment. Winter though may change my mind but then you will see a post where can I buy one as the shroud shop in the village closed down..

Alan

Archived