Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All new White Light setup

Macavity

Allocated some of recent (pension!) windfall towards a new Altair Astro ED66-R.

Also putting new ASI120MC through it's paces (ROI 640x480, debayered etc.)

Imaged via one of the "new fangled" *Baader* Solar Filters (really nice thing!) :cool:

http://www.365astronomy.com/Baader-ASSF65-AstroSolar-Spotter-Filter-65mm.html

Little idea of how to Registax colour stuff, but ended up with 1700/3000 frames.

Still need some sort of  graphics processing program... hence ragged edges! :p

Still lots to learn (change from DSOs and Video Astronomy!) but all good fun. :)

post-539-0-64482700-1435005703.jpg

Keep in touch about that Altair Astro ED66-R please, could you do a mini review with photos & give me a nudge ?

Looking at getting something a little smaller for a grab & go, Altair's OTA's are very good indeed.

Thank you ALL for your positive (Nay, flattering) response! ;)

The image [as ever! lol] a bit overcooked, but encouraging?

Been a while since I got my hands on *any* new hardware. :o

But, to my fellow "modestly endowed" (financially!) SGL'ers,

I can but return the encouragement, I genuinely feel here.  :)

Reviews in due course? I have to say that pretty much ALL

my recent purchases have met (exceeded) expectations. 

Herewith the "thousand words" *PICTURE* anyway...

post-539-0-84817500-1435042763.jpg

And, since I can never resist a wibble - IN BRIEF:

I am very happy with my "Baby APO" for this and more...

I am particularly pleased with the new Baader solar filter. 

Yes, I can "roll my own", but for around £30, even better!

(I still dislike *wrinkly* filters... Whatever the theories!) :p

The ZWO Cam is a joy... I'm personally, impressed by

Firecapture! The keen-eyed may spot the Baader filter

slide and "Click lock" - Both of which I now "swear by".

Oh yeah, and the cool Skywatcher Guidescope mount,

and the tube rings (my preferred solution). It will be a

struggle for my HEQ5, but I want to TRY the ED 66-R  

on top of my MAK150 as my "super WL solar setup"?  :D

Anyway, enough, enough... The sun is actually shining!

Glad you are pleased with the new scope, certainly looks the part. Mak 150 should be good for some close-ups when you get it setup. I also dislike wrinkly filters, it's just not right :p

I would drop the number of frames you stack. My white light images are usually around 40 to 50 frames stacked. You don't need a lot of frames with solar as you are not struggling for signal as you are when imaging the night sky. I've seen great images on here with as few as a half dozen frames.

Good luck with your new venture and make the most of the Sun being out, it doesn't happen very often once you get a solar filter :evil:

I would drop the number of frames you stack. My white light images are usually around 40 to 50 frames stacked. You don't need a lot of frames with solar as you are not struggling for signal as you are when imaging the night sky. I've seen great images on here with as few as a half dozen frames.

Thanks, David! Frame number was one of the main things I was wondering about. ;)

Not least re. the disk space / file transfer time! Moreover, on reflection, my modest

"notebooks" (which give 30fps at 640 x 480, but only 8fps at 1280 x 960) will "do"...

As you say, plenty of light, and the SUN isn't going anywhere / rotating too quickly! :p

This "pukka" plantary / lunar / solar(!) cam is much more appropriate to the task than

my (otherwise fine) BIG pixeled Astro-Video Cam! As ever, the  full solar disk doesn't

QUITE fit on the smaller chip. But doubtless, with modest focal reduction etc. etc. :)

Archived