Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up on ideal NEW obsy computer

Hi all,

Just saw this for £119 including delivery, brand new from a superb highly recommended supplier, I have used this company for years as I am a computer technician and thought I would share, for anyone thinking of buying a dedicated Astro PC, it has win 8 but you could change that, although I use win 8 with no issues at all.

One thing to mention is that it has no wifi, but you could always get a USB wifi adapter if needed.

http://www.ebuyer.com/658956-lenovo-e50-desktop-pc-90bx0018uk?utm_source=2015-06-05&utm_medium=campaign_email&utm_campaign=B2C_%28Friday%29_Openers_FS

Cheers

AB

Cheap as chips!

It runs a laptop motherboard and CPU, so upgrading will be a bit of a pain (a single memory slot, for example). It'd be perfect for running a DSO obsy, though if you are running any of the newer planetary/solar cameras that have big sensors and USB3, then you might need more horsepower under the hood.

Cheap as chips!

It runs a laptop motherboard and CPU, so upgrading will be a bit of a pain (a single memory slot, for example). It'd be perfect for running a DSO obsy, though if you are running any of the newer planetary/solar cameras that have big sensors and USB3, then you might need more horsepower under the hood.

A single memory slot is no problem as it will take an 8gb chip and RAM is cheap ATM, as for newer USB 3.0 cameras, I would upgrade the hard drive to an SSD one, as this would help.

But for the majority of people it would be a good buy, as is, and for that price it becomes a throw away item after 12 to 18 months if you need to upgrade, So don't bother to upgrade as the parts needed would cost more that the PC so throw away and get a newer one....when the need arises, or you could sell as someone would buy for the operating system alone, you would probably get half your money back for that.

It's a throw away world now where computers are concerned.....unfortunately for landfill.

AB

Agreed.

It's bonkers, isn't it....the whole disposable thing? I chucked a perfectly good Acer unit that was similiar to the Lenovo when I was upgrading my obsy PC recently. It wasn't worth listing on eBay and I tried to give it away with a 17" LCD monitor. No-one wanted it.

Not a bad review at all really, and I didn't realise that win 10 would be free also, sounds to me like a steal, for an obsy PC, also note the other model at £10 more with win 8.1 pro and win 7 that might appeal more to some people...

Nice find Earl

AB

Agreed.

It's bonkers, isn't it....the whole disposable thing? I chucked a perfectly good Acer unit that was similiar to the Lenovo when I was upgrading my obsy PC recently. It wasn't worth listing on eBay and I tried to give it away with a 17" LCD monitor. No-one wanted it.

Yes I know the feeling, I have had computer stuff lying around and could not give it away, and I was loathed to chuck, but I had to, seemed such a shame...

To be honest if you had your own operating system say win 7, you could sell the win 8 that comes with this and recoup a big chunk of your money, as you only need to sell the serial key for it to be legal, as you can download the actual software from Microsoft, and then use your own serial key, as I would guess that this won't come with an OS CD it will be built in to a partition on the hard drive.

AB

Agreed.

My mate runs a business dealing with computers and is finding you cant even give away perfectly good Used kit theses days.

My mate runs a business dealing with computers and is finding you cant even give away perfectly good Used kit theses days.

hence why we keep our gear till it grinds to a halt, old PC did over 10 years will see what the current ones does. The only items that fail and need replacing tend to be hard discs

I feel too guilty about old gear and binning it so sit with the old PC in a corner and a wireless setup that people would not reuse but I can't bring myself to just bin

As long as you're not doing GPU intensive computations, it's fine :)

It'd certainly be capable for running Stellarium. I'm using a 30quid ASUS GPU due to my CPU not having on board graphics :( it does have 6 cores of awesomeness tho :)

Ebuyer good for cheap stuff, good luck booking an RMA for a £1000 laptop when it dies in 13 months.

That xmas photo with the chart showing how many staff managed to reject an rma says it all

Ebuyer good for cheap stuff, good luck booking an RMA for a £1000 laptop when it dies in 13 months.

That xmas photo with the chart showing how many staff managed to reject an rma says it all

I have had a business account with them for years and had to return stuff over the years without any problems, they even send the replacements and th courier takes the faulty one away when delivers the new one, so never had to leave the house and send anything back, even the small items, they just emailed me a label to stick on and straight in the postbox.

So you must have been very unlucky....

Regards

AB

I have used Ebuyer on and of for years and never had any issues at all and are good to deal with. The self build machine I use now, using Ebuyer components has served me well for a few years now and a while back I had a yen to upgrade the base unit, but of course hardly any of it is upgradable - would need new mobo etc. Then I thought why bother, this machine does everything I really want it to do pretty quickly, and if I did part with it, who would want it when you can get a new unit for £119! The instant obsolescence bit is a pain that quickly evolving technology has brought with it. 

That Lenovo ( didn't Lenovo buy out IBM or vice versa?) machine looks very good value, and should cope with most every day software and certainly Stellarium. From what I've seen Windows 8.1 works well enough without being over special but that's fine. More memory is useful if you are running a 64 bit setup and modern high end graphic stuff will work better with faster graphics/CPU but folks running such will know that. 

So well done AB - good heads up.

Archived