SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

why do we do astronomy

Because it reminds us how small and petty we are :)

It is all about perspective (and "discovery and awe").

Fighting over a few drops of oil, pennies, and ideology.

My god is better than your god (which is the same god with a different name).

well said.

for me astronomy allows me to disconnect myself from all the rubbish of life surrounding us. while i look up at the stars scanning for some light blob or smudge among the stars it offers me excitment, awe, and the realization that this planet is soo small in the grand universe we zip about at roughly 65,000 MPH, orbiting a Giant Nuclear Furnace ( i am likely wrong about the speed, i have not touched on that subject since physics class 17 years ago )

I do not accept that idea.

There was a post a day or two back showing Andromeda in detail, the NASA or who evers text, said how insignificant we were. :eek:

My view was Andromeda was insignificant for the simple reason it didn't have me in it. :grin: :grin:

Did the Galaxy Zoo Galaxy identification some years back, I did 50,000 of them and as far as I am concerned that means they are MINE, all MINE. :D :D

Ming the Merciless had I think 9 planets he ruled over, that is NOTHING compared to 50,000 galaxies.

Complaint: No Emoticon for Megalomania.

It stirs the imagination, makes us ask important questions, gives us the ability to understand our place in the universe.

Far from reminding me of how small and petty we supposedly are, it reminds me of how significant the fact that we can even ponder what is out there actually is.

Personally, I do it because it is both relaxing and exciting at the same time, it's technical and simple at the same time, I can afford to do it (that one's important), it's creative (check out the diy astronomer forum, or the imaging forums), etc, etc.

And, yes, there are pretty pictures too!:)

Plus all the shiny equipment :)

Now we're getting close.

Personally I don't buy the philosophical or metaphysical arguments. I reckon that a fair proportion of the people here use astronomy as a means to an end - for tinkering with technical equipment and getting a sense of achievement from that. Many like a bit of a challenge: to stretch ourselves and our abilities and do things that we didn't think we could. Personally I like the creative aspect of seeing things that are otherwise invisible and drawing details out of images.

And for some it's the simple pleasure of collecting more and bigger toys than anyone else. :laugh:

Personally it's an escape for me and a challenge of learning something new, this is a progressive hobby that grows like this.

1 Buy cheap scope

2 buy better scope and mount

3 joint this forum learn some things that help

4 see some of the fantastic images on this forum

5 decide you must get into imaging

6 decide which organs to sell to pay for the kit[emoji2]

7 lie to the wife about the cost of the items as they arrive in the post[emoji16]

8 find somewhere to store all the stuff

9 have your first light with new kit and realise that this isn't as easy as it looks and that usb is the worst thing invented [emoji24]

10 have your first successful night and realise that it's all worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now we're getting close.

Personally I don't buy the philosophical or metaphysical arguments. I reckon that a fair proportion of the people here use astronomy as a means to an end - for tinkering with technical equipment and getting a sense of achievement from that. Many like a bit of a challenge: to stretch ourselves and our abilities and do things that we didn't think we could. Personally I like the creative aspect of seeing things that are otherwise invisible and drawing details out of images.

And for some it's the simple pleasure of collecting more and bigger toys than anyone else. :laugh:

I think a lot of what you say is true, well apart from the first bit. My wonder about whats going on beyond our thin layer of atmosphere is what got me into astronomy at an early age. That wonder drove me to do my degree in Astronomy to find out more. There's a fair few professional astronomers out there, would they be motivated without wonder? 

I guess you're looking at it from an imaging point of view, but there are lots of aspects to astronomy as a hobby and a science, I'm fairly sure wonder has its place :)

I think it's the aspect of learning the science behind the celestial objects I'm observing. Having just enquired with UCLAN about doing a BSc (hon) I'm well on course to doing serious study.

I think imaging is very challenging and rewarding but for me it's just a part of the whole. Observing the stars and knowing the in's and out's of what your looking at is where the awe comes from. My first look at Saturn is a classic example

Chris, you said you done a degree in astronomy. Can you provide some detail on how you approached it? I am an army officer and as such it's a little tricky following a fixed online programme.

Rick

Chris, you said you done a degree in astronomy. Can you provide some detail on how you approached it? I am an army officer and as such it's a little tricky following a fixed online programme.

Rick

Hi Rick, Well I trained as a mechanical engineer from school but my B-TEC and City & Guilds wasn't enough to get me into Uni, so I spent a year doing an Access to Uni course which covered 6 subjects at AS level. I still remember doing 12 hour night shifts has a health care assistant then rocking up to Math class at 9 in the morning :D

Towards the end of the Access course I applied to several Uni's via a UCAS application and also applied for my student loan. I got a place at Hertfordshire which was great as they have a brilliant observatory complex at Bayfordbury.

At this point I was about 24 years old and spent the first year in halls of residence, followed by a couple of years of shared housing. Anyway, I got my degree in the end and even met my wife on the course in the same class :)

I wanted to do my Masters etc but I basically got a 2:1 without Honours (called Commendation) and you need a 2:1 with honours to do Masters, Phd etc. I lost my honours on further mathematical techniques. Astronomy degrees are about 70% calculus and my access course didn't touch on calculus so I was struggling from with the course a bit.

My advice is to learn as much Calculus before you start your course as possible, if I could go back in time this is what I would have done before starting my degree :)

My wife got her Masters though! Habitable zones around K and M type stars (clever sod), she's worked for the Royal Astronomical Society for 10 years now so she actually got into the astronomy scene as a job :)

After a few years in Aerospace engineering I ended up doing a second degree in diagnostic radiography and imaging and finally got the 2:1 (Hons). :grin: 

Would have loved to have worked in Astronomy in one shape or another though!

I suspect an online might be a little different, but I'm sure the amount of math with be similar.

Good luck with it all :)  

Thanks Chris, a good insight to work involved.

The only way I can free up time is with an online part time course. This ranges from 6 - 9 yrs and isn't with a view to working in the field. It's purely thirst for knowledge

Sounds like a lovely plan to me :) I'm sure you'll enjoy the challenge, and your retirement to dark skies sounds like a great plan :)

I'm 39 and retire from the NHS when I'm 67, so plenty more X-rays and CT's to do before I make any plans :D   

For me it is to escape, enjoy, to look in awe and amazement, it helps to clear my mind, to capture every photon of light thats traveled so far, for us all to see, and to take time to capture these images in our own individual and special way.

Archived