Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrophotography

Is there any place that sells pre-made barn door trackers (for those that don't do DIY or have tools).

Plenty of places. They are called Astrotrac mounts and they aint cheap. Fantastic results but at a price. Off the top of my head they cost anywhere between say £400-600. There may be retailers who sell cheaper wooden versions, but ive never come across one.

Search for: "astrotrac".

Here's one which is sold by FLO:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astrotrac/astrotrac-tt320x-ag.html

I love wide field images, but i am not an imager. If i was ever bitten by the imaging bug (or crossed over to the "darkside" as we call it here on SGL), i'd certainly look into buying an astrotrac. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OP already has a scope, not sure bins are what they are after.

Making every photon count is certainly a great purchase if you are starting out on astro imaging though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As mentioned a Star Adventurer and second hand Canon 450d with some sort of lens and tripod would be around your budget, you could then get an idea of the difficulty of astro imaging and have a go at processing astro images, another whole can of worms. :)

SW SA would probably carry your scope OK, I've used ST80 on mine no with problems.

Dave

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-star-adventurer-astronomy-bundle.html

The Astrotrac is top end, the Vixen, Skywatcher and iOptron offerings are all cheaper and within the OP's budget whilst leaving room for a camera.

The OP already has a scope, not sure bins are what they are after. Making every photon count is certainly a great purchase if you are starting out on astro imaging though. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, scrub the bins (Though it's always useful to have a pair hanging around). The mount and 'scope are nowhere good enough even for rough-and-ready imaging though.

The Astrotrac is top end, the Vixen, Skywatcher and iOptron offerings are all cheaper and within the OP's budget whilst leaving room for a camera. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didnt know this. For sure if there are other similar brands available for less then those are worth looking at. 

D4N do you have a link to other branded "astrotracs"?. I'd like to check them out. I do like Vixen and Skywatcher products.

The Astrotrac is top end, the Vixen, Skywatcher and iOptron offerings are all cheaper and within the OP's budget whilst leaving room for a camera. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didnt know this. For sure if there are other similar brands available for less then those are worth looking at. 

D4N do you have a link to other branded "astrotracs"?. I'd like to check them out. I do like Vixen and Skywatcher products.

There are quite a few offerings that fill this niche;

Skywatcher: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer.html

Vixen: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-polarie/vixen-polarie.html

iOptron: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5940_iOptron-SkyTracker-V2---ultraportable-star-tracker-for-astrophotography.html

Baader: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6540_Baader-NanoTracker---compact-camera-tracking-mount-for-photography.html

Losmandy: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5146_Losmandy-StarLapse---mount-for-traveling-and-timelapse-photograp.html

The last is a bit pricey, may as well buy a decent EQ mount at the point!

Plenty of places. They are called Astrotrac mounts and they aint cheap. Fantastic results but at a price. Off the top of my head they cost anywhere between say £400-600. There may be retailers who sell cheaper wooden versions, but ive never come across one.

Search for: "astrotrac".

Here's one which is sold by FLO:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astrotrac/astrotrac-tt320x-ag.html

I love wide field images, but i am not an imager. If i was ever bitten by the imaging bug (or crossed over to the "darkside" as we call it here on SGL), i'd certainly look into buying an astrotrac. 

No I mean a made one better than I could make :)

But a lot cheaper than the current tracking mounts.

I can recommend the Ioptron Sky Tracker. I managed to pick one up from B&H on a visit to New York (amazing store by the way) for a promotional price of c. £200 and I've been very impressed with it so far as a portable widefield option. If you or anyone you know are going over it's worth checking their prices for that or anything else you need.

Some time ago I also bought a reconditioned Canon 550d from digitalrev (Canon's own outlet I believe) and was pleased to find that it is one of the few cameras with movie crop mode so is also good for planetary imaging. It's worth searching one out if you can find one recon or second hand.

I've also recently bought an old 135mm Pentax M42 prime lens and Canon adaptor which could be another cheap option. Not tried it yet as it's a father's day present...!

Also agree on Making Every Photon Count.

Excuse my ignorance, photography isn't something I have much/any knowledge of but wouldn't it be possible to convert a webcam and do a bit of planetary and lunar photography? It's a start surely?

Excuse my ignorance, photography isn't something I have much/any knowledge of but wouldn't it be possible to convert a webcam and do a bit of planetary and lunar photography? It's a start surely?

Very possible and people do, with great results.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

You can get a Canon 1100D for around £200 on Amazon (probaly cheaper elsewhere). This is a perfect entry level DSLR camera to learn the functions and gain experience etc. I started wide angle constellation, few Messier images using nothing more than a Canon IXUS and a standard camera tripod. You will be surprised the quality of images you can get and I live in Sheffield. Use this to gain experience, learn the manual functions on the camera and what works to get the best images. My Canon IXUS (£100) was ideal to learn the absolute basics. You will be surprised with the manual functions available on modern compact cameras to gain the expreince and achieve surprising wide angle images. I can easily get a half descent picture of the Orion Nebula, constellations and a few binary star systems using this cheaper equipment. The key to begin with is buy what you can afford, go ou, experiment, learn and have fun. Do things in small chunks or you will be swamped by all the available equipment and expensive costs. I hope this helps you a little bit. 

I agree with most of the previous comments and would forget about the scope for the time being  a 2nd hand EQ3-2 single axis drive with something like a 1100d and kit lens will be the cheapest option, I have also seen 550D and 600D cameras in my local cash convertor shops for less than £150 so its worth looking around.

Alan

I agree with most of the previous comments and would forget about the scope for the time being  a 2nd hand EQ3-2 single axis drive with something like a 1100d and kit lens will be the cheapest option, I have also seen 550D and 600D cameras in my local cash convertor shops for less than £150 so its worth looking around.

Alan

You probably want to check the number of shutter actuations on an old camera, you could end up forking out 150 GBP then the shutter failing a few months later.

You can buy them cheap but the hassle of replacing it, then using a repair center, well that just hikes the cost up, then if that is the case you can get a new one (even though they are discontinued) for not much more and have a proper EU 2  year warranty.

Isn't it possible just to remove the shutter? Or will the camera get upset? I removed the mirror on mine to no ill effect.

Nobody's suggested sketching.

This is a great way to start imaging. It gives instant personal results. If you go to the sketching threads you'll find what can be achieved using very cheap equipment, without the fuss of imaging,

Nick.

Here is what is basically required for DSO imaging:
Equitorial mount with motors - has to be EQ and must have motors well RA at least.

Camera capable of taking long exposures - long being more then 30 seconds eventually

The "lens" can be a scope or a more normal camera lens.

And for your situation a dark(ish) sky, meaning not London.

If you do not have a camera tripod then an EQ1 will work as a camera mount.

You may need a bit to connect one to the other.

A DSLR is so that you can take the lens off then attach the DSLR body to the scope. If you did simple wide field of just camera+mount then you do not need a DSLR but for any future steps one would be necessary. It is worth getting one for potential future application.

Just thinking that if you had a bridge camera then you could use that now.

The really easy option is get a camera, get a tripod (or mount) stick camera on tripod/mount and take a 25 second exposure.

You will need to set the camera to manual everything.

Set the ISO to 800, exposure to 25 seconds, aperture to say 5.6 (think that is usually on most cameras), point at something say Casseiopia and go click. Casseiopia because the W of Casseiopia may come out and the milky way is behind Casseiopia and that may come up.

To get into astrophotography usually means a minimum setup of something like: EQ5 with goto, short fast scope like 130pds or a 70mm ED refractor, T-ring adaptor, remote time, camera, power tank to run it all. Can get some on the used market, but need to be patient for whatever to appear.

If you had an RA drive on the EQ1, a laptop, a webcam and a barlow then you may be able to image Jupiter.

You polar align the EQ1, point scope at Jupiter, drop in the barlow and then the webcam, get Jupiter in the middle and take a 60 to 90 second video of Jupiter. Then process this.

If you can get to any local clubs find out if they have an imaging group and have a look at what is used, there is usually a broad range, but you get ideas.

I found this - http://www.gumtree.com/p/lenses/tamron-af-70-300mm-f-4-5.6-di-ld-macro-1-2-lens-for-canon/1112770482http://www.telescope.com/Orion-Min-EQ-Tabletop-Equatorial-Telescope-Mount/p/9055.uts, 

Canon EOS 350D Digital SLR Camera (18-55mm Lens Kit) , 
Orion EQ-1M Electronic Telescope Drive 
This costs about 340 pounds!
Will it work?

Archived