Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's the end of astronomy here...

Ludd

And I thought I had it bad :eek: That is really dreadful. All I could suggest is trying to get the bloke next door over to check out your scope, but yeah, even if you bought him non polluting lights, what are the chances he would use them?  It is really frustrating to me that we now have the tech to prevent light pollution, but the powers that be, like most residents just don't seem to care. If people only knew what they are missing....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burglars love houses with "security" lights because they can see what they are doing. I have a small light above my back doors which dimly lights the back garden right down to the end. Its controlled by a normal light switch inside the doors and only goes on when i switch it on. There is a motion detector light on the front of the house but its set at an angle that it only light up the garden if triggered. It doesnt spill out across the street into houses opposite.

Here we have been quoted a higher premium for insurance for lacking security lights and street lighting for a potential property.

Needless to say we wont be choosing that company.

if you have a problem the tall trees act should help you

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/highhedges/

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parliament.uk%2Fbriefing-papers%2FSN02999.pdf&ei=RTg1VafbJNDkaKWKgJAB&usg=AFQjCNGqFC19_9lQZJwnBMAbybXk-MBBhw&sig2=jKhWOE_sl5bt9sLGuECPaA&bvm=bv.91071109,d.d2s

I should perhaps add that his giant Leylandii - visible behind his giant shed - have pretty much doubled in size since we arrived here, and must be close to 100ft tall now.  Venus is lost behind them, and spotting the ISS rising in the west is no longer possible.  I thought he might have got the chainsaw in order to have a go at some amateur tree surgery, but alas not yet.

oh :( 100 foot ! We also have 3 giant Leylandiis at the back of the garden, well, the man who lives opposite does. Which tends to mean our field of view is restricted to looking up and not much else. Also surrounded by the usual anti-security lights on most sides.

Your garden still does look pretty dark - much darker than mine even when there are no security lights on, so it could be a lot worse. It doesn't sound like it is worth approaching him about anything as he seems an odd fella.

After reading through the posts on here though, it has dawned on me how little security lighting actually does.

Matt.

To be honest, for me, I can't bring myself to have trees cut down just to improve my sky viewing pleasure, their would have to be a far more deserving/important reason for me to do something like.

To be honest, for me, I can't bring myself to have trees cut down just to improve my sky viewing pleasure, their would have to be a far more deserving/important reason for me to do something like.

Aside from the afore-mentioned conifers which have frequently been planted with complete disregard for their eventual size, not to mention the fact that once they get out of hand they're almost impossible to get back under control and look anything other than a hideous mess, I take the attitude that if I cut a tree down then I plant another.

James

Aside from the afore-mentioned conifers which have frequently been planted with complete disregard for their eventual size, not to mention the fact that once they get out of hand they're almost impossible to get back under control and look anything other than a hideous mess

It isn't the conifers fault though is it, it's the fault of .. yep, the usual culprit - the human being

I take the attitude that if I cut a tree down then I plant another.

ooo cool :)

Alas the photo does not show how the light floods our garden. It is only the flower bed up against the fence that is dark. And I fear trying to enforce our rights is not only going to be difficult but likely to affect our ability to sell the house when I finally get to escape to the country.

For now I may experiment with making the fence taller.

Burglary at the front....arc lights at the back?

Where is the logic?

Its so the next burglars can see exactly what they are doing, and saves you from been sued by them if they injure themsleves due to unsafe working conditions......... :rolleyes:

The best burglar alarm system ive had for yrs is a yappy,over-protective,not afraid of attacking anything or anyone Yorkshire Terrier. When i go to bed she has free roam of the house. She is a deep sleeper and snores like a pig, but any loud noise and she is instantly awake and on the case like Sherlock Holmes. She has already been through one burglary and survived and has learned from the experience to be weary of ANYONE coming into the house apart from me,mum,niece and nephew.

Anyone else..............she gives them hell.  

I'm the same. I don't think there are enough trees in Britain. They breathe CO2, lock in carbon, produce oxygen and look great. We have a gnarled old oak at the bottom of our garden and he does block some sky but he's been here about 150 years longer than we have and he's staying put.

I had a not dissimilar experiance when my neigbours moved in, as one night and day the security light was on constantly, however since, and without any visit its never been left on, so im left with the impression that it was turned on in error by the removal firm at the time, will admit the sky fell on my head that day, but all is good, they do pop on a light on the patio when they let the dog out, but it is very well directed and does not shne over the hedge whatsoever.

All good so far.

Well, I feel a bit embarrassed but also pleased.  I was about to step outside to enjoy the view of the crescent moon, Venus and Jupiter in the darkening sky, but then noticed the floodlight was on again.  So I braced myself and went round to speak to the neighbours.  I ended up having a really nice chat; I don't think they really understood what the issue was, but they were very keen to get out in the garden and fiddle with their lights.  And now when I go out of the back door, the light doesn't switch on. 

So I needn't have been quite so gloomy.  And it turns out their daughter is going to be studying at the same university that my elder son is planning to study at next year.

Still, I enjoyed having a good whinge on here! :grin:

Well, I feel a bit embarrassed but also pleased.  I was about to step outside to enjoy the view of the crescent moon, Venus and Jupiter in the darkening sky, but then noticed the floodlight was on again.  So I braced myself and went round to speak to the neighbours.  I ended up having a really nice chat; I don't think they really understood what the issue was, but they were very keen to get out in the garden and fiddle with their lights.  And now when I go out of the back door, the light doesn't switch on. 

So I needn't have been quite so gloomy.  And it turns out their daughter is going to be studying at the same university that my elder son is planning to study at next year.

Still, I enjoyed having a good whinge on here! :grin:

Well, at least it got your post count up. :laugh:

Just think, after a few months at Uni, they could be your INLAWS!! :grin:

Archived