Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Lyrids are coming

BobSki

The radiant of the Lyrid meteor shower is located in the constellation Lyra, near the brightest star of the constellation, Alpha Lyrae, or Vega. Although they should apparently appear all over the sky.

This years shower is set to peak NEXT WEDNESDAY 22nd April.

You guys probably already knew that but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are already showing up. I've had 10 in the last 5 days on my west facing meteor cam. 5 of those were last night between 9.45pm and 1am.

The sky is still dominated by sporadics, so still plenty to catch.

It looks like Lyra (with its brightest star Vega) will be rising above the horizon around 8pm at 025deg (NNE) but it will of course still be daylight then. It looks to me like the most useful time to start observing is around midnight when Lyra should be at 080deg (East) and an elevation of about 39deg above the horizon.

Clear skies and good seeing everyone :smiley:

Missed the Lyrids peak, maybe I'll try the Pi Puppids which has a decent ZHR of 40, but the half moon interferes as the moon sets about the same time as the radiant.

It's sad you guys up north can't be able to see it, but I hope your lyrids will be great!  :grin:

I caught a few darting about last night from Cawfields on Hadrians Wall. It seemed to pick up from 1.20am, they were quite occasional, though I might also have missed a few as I was observing the Glob's. One in particular though was very brightly lite up like a beacon, quite a dramatic fleeting occurrence. 

Not sure if I saw one or not. Expecting to see what look like shooting stars and just see a long bright trail across the sky. What I saw was an orange blob about golf ball size shot across the sky then seemed to bumble around a bit and die off???

I was out in my back garden from 10:30pm until the clouds rolled in at 03:50am. In that 51/4hrs I saw 31 meteors. Most of them were just fast streaks across the sky. Three were more exciting. My 6th meteor was sighted at around 12:25-12:30 and it was the best one of the night, crossing East to West (as indeed most of them were) just below Polaris, it had a long White tail and was visible for a couple of seconds.

Then I think it was my 12th or 13th sighting that was again quite stunning. It was about 01:15-01:30, again crossing East to West directly overhead my observation point, South of Polaris. The next one worth mentioning occured around 03:10am in the same area. Around 03:50am the clouds rolled in at great spead and soon had total cover, so it was time for bed.

Unfortunately my garden is surrounded by obstacles and if I lay on a recliner chair almost flat I have Polaris just visible above the roof of my hous and I get to see a slice of sky from Polaris down to about 35 or 40deg, so not much really.

Anyway I'm glad I did it and next time I will get my camp bed and thermals out. :grin:

Was out for 4 hours between 22:00 and 02:00, and counted 13 Lyrids (in between looking at other things through the scope) in that time. Including one very bright (maybe mag -5 ?), green meteor at 00:58 BST, with a wide trail, moving East to West, from Leo through Hydra. Most of the ones I saw had long trails.

Archived