Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter & Ganymede Transit (Shadow) - 07.04.15

Virgoman

Hi everyone. Went out like a number of others here and had a bash at capturing part of giant Ganymede`s transit. At the start of the session Ganymede was just popping "off" Jupiter`s globe - so I was unable to capture it actually transiting. Managed later on to catch Ganymede and its shadow trailing a long way behind later on, before the already less than stellar seeing went completely pear - shaped. Never fail to be amazed just how inky black these shadows are! The shadow actually appeared around an hour after Ganymede had left Jupiter`s disk! Kept the focal length lowish due to the seeing but happy to get some albedo on Ganymede.

Anyway, thanks for looking and clear skies to all - not a forlorn hope for most at the moment...lol!.... But good seeing to go with it...more of an issue!

Best regards,

Ralph

post-4992-0-57769200-1428592500.png

Many thanks for your appreciative comments Nick, Simon & Catman161 - thanks again! :smiley:

lovely fine detail on Ganymede too ,im amazed at the consistency of your images Ralph you've definitely hit the sweet spot with your scope it fact you have it singing! :icon_salut:

Yes, Simon I am very happy with how my C8 is performing at the moment. I have collimated  (or tweaked and fiddled with....lol!) it as best I can. Also, I have moved over to Baader LRGB filters from my relatively cheap QHY set and I much prefer them. They are just nicer to use and giving me more quality frames to play with.

Best regards,

Ralph

Incidentally just for everyone`s information the time on the photograph is incorrect it should read 21.19UT not 20.19!! That change in the hour to BST has confused me more than I thought LOL!!!! :BangHead:

Best regards,

Ralph

Many thanks Leveye :smiley: !

Best regards,

Ralph

Many thanks for that kind comment Dan :smiley: - much appreciated! Yes, I was very happy to get a little detail on Ganymede!

Best regards,

Ralph

Many thanks Martyn, Stuart, Pete & Tom for your comments. Much appreciated as always :smiley: !

Thats a fabulous image - and you say done with a C8? Nice job and great detail on the moon.

Yes Tom, taken with my C8. :smiley:

Best regards and clear skies,

Ralph

Very many thanks for those kind words Michael & Robert. Very much appreciated - was just glad to capture a few Jupiter`s recently with the bonus of transits with favourable domestic circs and weather coinciding!.....and before Jupiter heads towards next door`s trees...lol! 

Very nice shot! C8s are great scopes. Mine is 19 years old and still going strong

They are indeed Michael. Coming from my little ETX 105PE before, it took me a little while to become comfortable with it - collimation tweaks et al....But now I am very happy as it is at about the max weight that I (disability) and my mount can comfortably handle without the luxury of a permanent setup! Sometimes I wish I had a bigger version - but when I am cream crackered after a session and it`s time to carry all back in that thought soon passes!!! 

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived