Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New focuser for SW100 ED DS PRO

Hi

It seems my focuser on the SW100 ED DS PRO has quite possibly reached the end of its life so was wondering what the options are for a replacement? Luke on here recommended the Baader steeltrack but it seems the version for refractors is not available anymore, FLO have it as unavailable as well. I saw that Moonlite have a version but it is very expensive so was wondering if folks on here could suggest anything else that is available. I cant seem to find the Synta replacement part for this type of scope even though I would rather have something a bit better. Any ideas on this.

Thanks for any help

John

I've used a Moonlite and a Feathertouch - In my experience the Moonlite may look nice but does under perform. It quickly became notchy and was pretty poor in my opinion. The Feathertouch focusers on the other hand - Wow, they are lovely.

I do agree that Feathertouch are at the top of the pile, very lovely Focusers.

If budget is more of an issue, this is another one to consider. Very nice focuser, I fitted one to a 120ED before selling it and it is smooth and solid. Only issue is the need to add a finder bracket shoe somewhere as there isn't one on the focuser.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3945_MONORAIL-2--Refractor-focuser---e-g--for-Skywatcher-96mm-flange.html

Stu

Have a look on the telescope service website, word of warning, i read some where the screws that hold the focuser to the tube may be "glued" in and can be a tricky job to get out

Hello Jules, I removed the 3 scews and they were really in there very tight, didnt see any evidence of glue though.

If it's a keeper, go for a Moonlite.

Ant :)

Yep Ant is is a keeper, optically it is very nice especially on planets. Have had memorable views of Saturn in this scope and Jupiter as well.

I've used a Moonlite and a Feathertouch - In my experience the Moonlite may look nice but does under perform. It quickly became notchy and was pretty poor in my opinion. The Feathertouch focusers on the other hand - Wow, they are lovely.

Thats interesting, not seen many negative views on the Moonlites, did you ever get it looked at? Astro Baby had one that had a spring worn out and on her web site it says they were excellent at sorting the problem out.

I do agree that Feathertouch are at the top of the pile, very lovely Focusers.

If budget is more of an issue, this is another one to consider. Very nice focuser, I fitted one to a 120ED before selling it and it is smooth and solid. Only issue is the need to add a finder bracket shoe somewhere as there isn't one on the focuser.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3945_MONORAIL-2--Refractor-focuser---e-g--for-Skywatcher-96mm-flange.html

Stu

A feathertouch would be very nice but at their prices may as well get a new scope! Thanks for the link that looks a contender but point noted about the finder shoe. Not keen on drilling holes into telescopes! Thanks Stu .

Must admit a bit surpised about the few choices out there, but Moonlite is edging it somewhat. Time to put a few exra hours in at work.

Thanks for all the responses.

Thats interesting, not seen many negative views on the Moonlites, did you ever get it looked at? Astro Baby had one that had a spring worn out and on her web site it says they were excellent at sorting the problem out.

It was never looked at - The biggest issue with the 120ED was the frankly ridiculous way that the focuser had to fit the tube - It was basically a step down ring from the tubs held in with three screws - It was totally impossible to get the focuser orthogonal, even shimming it made no difference. Had I managed to even sort that I would have probably been happier all round.

Although the Moonlites have a good general reputation Sara is not the only friend to have expressed dissatisfation with them. Another friend with a multiple rig was much less than happy. In my view the Crayford design is inherently not ideal for imaging. I've used a Steeltrack which did work but would always prefer rack and pinion. Feathertouch, yes, now you're talking! It's the best I have here.

Olly

It strikes me that cost of a replacement focuser for the Skywatcher ED refractors is pretty steep.  For the 80ED it can be the same as the scope cost.  Might it not be a better idea to consider just replacing the whole scope?

John, as for your predicament,  if you were happy with the original focuser, have you considered seeing if someone has an original one they took off a 100ED and simply swap it with your now-worn one?

Although the Moonlites have a good general reputation Sara is not the only friend to have expressed dissatisfation with them. Another friend with a multiple rig was much less than happy. In my view the Crayford design is inherently not ideal for imaging. I've used a Steeltrack which did work but would always prefer rack and pinion. Feathertouch, yes, now you're talking! It's the best I have here.

Olly

To be honest I doubt I will ever use the scope for much imaging, possibly planetary or moon with dslr now and again but its main function would be visual. I haven't investigated whether a R&P would fit my scope as if it did it might open up more choice. Feathertouch, yes lovely but, but costs more than a new scope!

It strikes me that cost of a replacement focuser for the Skywatcher ED refractors is pretty steep.  For the 80ED it can be the same as the scope cost.  Might it not be a better idea to consider just replacing the whole scope?

John, as for your predicament,  if you were happy with the original focuser, have you considered seeing if someone has an original one they took off a 100ED and simply swap it with your now-worn one?

Interesting point Michael and have given this some thought. A new replacement is £625, or a second hand one at say half the price but either option leaves me with a tube in the cupboard gathering dust and it seems a crime to discard something which is optically really quite nice. A Moonlite is £329 at FLO which is about the same cost as a second hand scope so is just about cost effective. If I could source the original part brand new I would be happy to opt for that but I have not seen it anywhere. :sad:

I have never regretted getting a good focuser. I would vote get a good one now and if your scope ever leaves you, move the focuser onto the new scope. Those ED100's are very good optically, I paid for a Steeltrack for mine and do not regret it.

The Feathertouch Rack and Pinion on my ED120 is even nicer and looks like it will hold an overweight elephant, but Steeltrack was good enough in terms of focusing or handling heavy eyepieces (21mm Ethos) or my dabbles with DSLR imaging. Have mostly only heard good things about Moonlite, but have only used the Newtonian version, which has served me very well on my dob handling a heavy Paracorr and 21mm Ethos. Does not slip.

Good luck with the hunt, you could try asking for a focuser in the classifieds and see if anything offers itself?

I have an Orion 80ED (same as the Skywatcher).  I used to have problems with it slipping and with a bit of sag on the drawtube.  I then changed the tensioning knob and did the trick with running a grinding stone over the contact area on the drawtube and both problems solved.

I run it with an Accufocuser attached which make focussing even easier.

Have you tried advertising for an original focusser that's been taken off for upgrading?  I feel sure there will be lots of these sitting in draws unused.

I have an Orion 80ED (same as the Skywatcher).  I used to have problems with it slipping and with a bit of sag on the drawtube.  I then changed the tensioning knob and did the trick with running a grinding stone over the contact area on the drawtube and both problems solved.

I run it with an Accufocuser attached which make focussing even easier.

Have you tried advertising for an original focusser that's been taken off for upgrading?  I feel sure there will be lots of these sitting in draws unused.

I thoroughly inspected the focuser looking for something obvious and ensured it was all intact, and also tried tensioning it as well. Not much luck though. Ads are a good idea of course but now on reflection and with the rate of Skywatcher gear failure I have had lately I think it may be just as well to bite the bullet and order in a Moonlite if I can find one.

Hi All check  out the willliam Optic site they have  syntna type focuser`s on there, on sale at the mo!!!!!!!

HTH.

Regards

MIke

Thanks Mike, I took a look at these but unsure whether any would fit, hard to find exacting info on them.

I thoroughly inspected the focuser looking for something obvious and ensured it was all intact, and also tried tensioning it as well. Not much luck though. Ads are a good idea of course but now on reflection and with the rate of Skywatcher gear failure I have had lately I think it may be just as well to bite the bullet and order in a Moonlite if I can find one.

I'm not entirely sure if your focuser would be the same as mine, but if it has 4 little bearings that the focuser tube runs on then it is worth checking them. My 100RS focuser had a nasty click every inch or so. I visually checked the bearing and they seemed fine. However, I checked them at work under a microscope and found two were cracked. I guess under compression from the tube tensioner, the cracks widened and caused the click. I ordered some replacements from SMB bearings ( slightly wider - for durability and better weight capacity) now the focuser works like a dream.

Not saying that this is what your problem is but worth checking before you spend what is a lot of money.

Roy

I'm not entirely sure if your focuser would be the same as mine, but if it has 4 little bearings that the focuser tube runs on then it is worth checking them. My 100RS focuser had a nasty click every inch or so. I visually checked the bearing and they seemed fine. However, I checked them at work under a microscope and found two were cracked. I guess under compression from the tube tensioner, the cracks widened and caused the click. I ordered some replacements from SMB bearings ( slightly wider - for durability and better weight capacity) now the focuser works like a dream.

Not saying that this is what your problem is but worth checking before you spend what is a lot of money.

Roy

I did notice them, I think there was 2 of them but I didn't inspect them very closely apart from rolling them to see if they were loose. May take a peek when I get home.

I put a moonlight on mine, expensive but very nice indeed.

Your not the first person to say that to me today!!!

Feather touch all the way!!!! The others just don't come close, well ok moonlite does but not the same, but like comparing champions league to Europa league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An update on this, I did get a reply back from the Skywatcher distributor Optical Vision who have told me a replacement focuser would have to be specially ordered and would cost £109 inc p&p and that payment is cheque only. They also told me it would be a 4 month wait so it would be end of July before I get it.

Moonlite it is then as soon as FLO get stock

Archived