Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

By far my best M3 to date

Hi all,

I have just bought myself a 2nd hand EQ5 clone mount which is proving much better at holding my ED100 steady than my previous EQ2. Anyway as the sky was clear tonight I thought I would have another go at M3 as I still felt that I could do better than my previous 2 attempts. So here is the result which comprises of 25 x 30 second subs and 4 x 30 sec darks. As far as this target goes I am still battling with the nearby street lamp but I feel that this is by far my best attempt to date. My next step will be to purchase an electronic shutter release for my Canon EOS 400D so that I can increase the exposure length of my subs beyond the 30 second limit of the camera.

Hope you like it

:wave:

Ian

post-14420-13387733983_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your very encouraging comments :lol:

There is so much to learn both in terms of capturing and also processing but I truly feel that I am at least moving in the right direction, (and having lots of fun along the way). Marius has indeed made a clear improvement to the background so if you read this Marius, thanks and can you please let me know what you did. I tried to bring out as many of the faint stars in the outer parts of the globular as possible but in doing so ended up with a sky which was grainy and no where near as black as I would have liked. Whatever I then tried to darken the sky had a detrimental effect on the faint stars and so I tried to strike a compomise.

:rolleyes: Ohhhhhhhhh this is so addictive :)

Thanks for all your very encouraging comments :lol:

There is so much to learn both in terms of capturing and also processing but I truly feel that I am at least moving in the right direction, (and having lots of fun along the way). Marius has indeed made a clear improvement to the background so if you read this Marius, thanks and can you please let me know what you did. I tried to bring out as many of the faint stars in the outer parts of the globular as possible but in doing so ended up with a sky which was grainy and no where near as black as I would have liked. Whatever I then tried to darken the sky had a detrimental effect on the faint stars and so I tried to strike a compomise.

:rolleyes: Ohhhhhhhhh this is so addictive :)

Top image there. You're on the ball with the addictive...........I spend far more time (trying to ) image stuff than I do looking through the eyepiece and I only bought my scope last Nov.........I had a go at M3 last night but had the grain that you spoke about. What ISO where you on? I've found that 400 gives the best results with capture versus noise but then you have to expose for so much longer and you have the problems that that brings......I've decided that the next three times I have the scope out I'm leaving the camera in the drawer, just get some visual in for a change.

Hi thing,

Until I purchase a remote shutter release from my camera I am limited to a maximum exposure time of 30 seconds and therefore to capture as much detail as possible in this relatively short period of time I have to max the ISO to 1600 so this probably does not help in terms of the grain. None the less, Marius has made a significant improvement to the image and it would therefore be very nice to know how he achieved it :rolleyes:

I love observing but simply lllllllllllllooooooooooovvvveeeeeeeee imaging as having a record to keep refering to brings a great feeling of satisfaction, not to mention the fact that you can then share what you have seen with friends and relatives which adds to the whole enjoyment of it all :hello1:

Yeah I agree with your thought on imaging there. It's just that I think I might be missing out on some eyeball stuff as well......... :rolleyes: I obtained a shutter release last week and tried some 1 minute shots but your alignment has to be spot on. Also ( I don't know what program you are using ) Deep Sky Stacker likes the shots to be all exactly the same exposure otherwise it doesn't like to play. I hardly know the program so I may be wrong but it seems to like to stack shots that are exactly the same exposure. Steep learning curve ain't it.

I am indeed using DSS so your comments about the exposure times is interesting.

Your comment regarding exposure length versus alignment accuracy is a concern I have but I feel that any increase in exposure length would help prize out more detail, (even if it was only by a further 10 seconds or so, I remember taking 10, 20 and 30 second exposures of the Orion nebula and the difference in detail recorded between each was significant).

Another thought about imaging versus observing - with imaging at least we can still enjoy our hobby by processing images during our typical British evenings :rolleyes::)

Archived