Ethos 21mm First Light

DRT

After a failed attempt last night I managed to give my new Ethos 21mm a decent road test this evening.

First up was Comet Lovejoy Q2, just west of Cassiopeia, in the 12" Dob. One of the best views I have had of it with a very clear core and green coma amongst an enormous field of bright stars - quite awe inspiring.

Next was M45 in the same scope. Not quite a wide enough field to get it all in but the clearest view I have had of the nebulosity around the main stars. The sharpness of the field was quite noticeable with this cluster given the intensity of the star field across the entire FOV. Stunning.

Then to Jupiter, this time in the StarTravel 102. Given the field of view I dispensed with a finder scope and just panned around looking for the gas giant. I then stumbled upon the Beehive Cluster (M44), which was a new one for me, and was blown away by the beautifully framed scene in front of me. A few seconds later I panned east and found Jupiter just a few degrees away. Two seconds later I was back at the Beehive - Jupiter can wait :wink:

By now the Moon was up above the rooftops so I couldn't resist having a peak through the Dob. Wow! Fabulous detail for such low mag but it wasn't long before I was bee watching again :smile:

An excellent but short introduction to the wonders of the Ethos 21mm. I have almost forgotten the £600 that I no longer have :lol:

Derek,

Due to stupidity I have only prior to Christmas started using mine on a regular basis, something about the 20mm Nagler made me pick that up every time ( maybe it was lighter) so I sold it, even though I did say on site I would not. I am sure as clear nights come by you will get many more chances to explore, I am pleased you enjoyed it so much and look forward to more from you, not sure I could forget 600 quid so quickly though.

Alan

i was using mine last night as well which i havnt used much since buying a few months ago.same targets as you plus m42,m81 82, the double double lots of different colours. i must of had a bargain with mine i only payed £590 :grin:

not sure I could forget 600 quid so quickly though.

That's why I said "almost" :smile:

...and I made the mistake of telling Mrs T how much it cost so I will never be allowed to forget even if I tried! :lol:

It is the the eyepiece that tends to stay in my scope (C11) for everything. It never fails to impress (both me and any casual observer looking through my scope) It scares my observing friends when I use it for public outreach but even a novice can actually get a clear view through it as it does not seem fussy about eye placement. I have had it a few years now as I bought it just after it was first released. Not one moment of regret. Actually there is a regret in that i wish i had bought it and used it before I then bought the E17, 13, 10 and 8 as they may not have made it into the collection as they are seldom used.

It is the the eyepiece that tends to stay in my scope (C11) for everything. It never fails to impress (both me and any casual observer looking through my scope) It scares my observing friends when I use it for public outreach but even a novice can actually get a clear view through it as it does not seem fussy about eye placement. I have had it a few years now as I bought it just after it was first released. Not one moment of regret. Actually there is a regret in that i wish i had bought it and used it before I then bought the E17, 13, 10 and 8 as they may not have made it into the collection as they are seldom used.

Isn't that strange. I bought the 17mm and 8mm at the same time as the 21mm and every time I put the others in the focuser I have gone straight back to the 21mm. I haven't tried them in the CPC1100 yet as I currently have the dreaded 0080 problem and am waiting on the cables so that I can fix it before SGLX.

But I have to say the 21mm has already ticked the box and made me glad I pulled the trigger. I am sure the others will do the same when I work out the right scope/target/EP combination.

I find with the collection of Ethos it depends which scope I am using as to which eyepiece or eyepieces I pick up, I usually go to the scope with at least one in the bag (or photo vest pockets). On longer scopes like the C11 and my LX 12inch I find the 10mm, 8mm and 6mm a bit too short even from a good dark site except on the Moon, though it was the 8mm that cracked the centre star of Messier 57. 

Glad you say that Alan as I'm going to powermate my 8 to crack 57..x510 might do it!

Good plan. Some of the best views I've ever had of the Moon were on a night of superb seeing last year when even the Powermated 6mm Ethos (530x) gave fabulous views with my 12" dob :smiley:

I never got on with the Ethos I had (13mm) on the moon. It gave weird blobs of pink and blue colour in averted vision which I found very distracting. Nothing like this with my old Naglers - one reason I got turned onto them. They are amazing on everything else though.

Calvin

I would have thought you would be able to do that with the 18 inch, I managed it just twice now with the 12 inch but that was when it was absolutely overhead and top seeing, I have tried it for a total of about 60 hours though so not the best record ever.

Alan

Archived