Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where have all the Essex boys gone ?

knobby

Dengie dark skies are at risk from new wind farm security lights and new gates preventing access around the marshes. I have been working with the council who have talked to the landowners about the establishment of a dark sky site. Anyone support the idea of the establishment of a public dark sky site within 40 miles of London? Not asking for money, just trying to judge whether I'm wasting my time?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Honestly I'm a bit surprised at the lack of interest, maybe it's too far for people to travel ? I'd be interested ( about 45 minutes from me) but don't get permission from the Mrs very often to get out what with other comitments. I know the forum goes pretty quiet this time of year but should probably pick up a bit when the clocks go back.

Where have you been looking ?

It might also be worth pursuing this with the backing/support from the local Astro society, which in this case would be the East Essex society, based in Burham on Crouch I believe. If the site needed a commitment of usage, then a society could help with that, with something similar been done further north with the Essex Wildlife trust site at Abberton and the North Essex Astro Soc where the NEAS do outreach events there regularly now.

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Blazar said:

Hmmm..it has been quiet hasn't it.....I know I have been AWOl for  while, but where is everybody?

There's still Essex people about. Not met any of you yet as I haven't been out to any of the local meets.

Frustrated with the clouds here in South Woodham Ferrers. Looked out 30 minutes ago to see a whole ten stars, Jupiter, and the moon illuminating plenty of high thin clouds. They may look nice, but they're being absolutely no help to me tonight!

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Wobbly Bob said:

Still about, got rid of the obsy and all my astro gear a couple of years back BUT could not give up astronomy so just bought some BIG bins. Any one around the Clacton area want to meet up so I can try these big boys out.

Wrong end of Essex Bob, I'm south ! and very rarely get a night pass from the boss :icon_biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Hi All - I am based in Essex (Thurrock). Any of you good folk near my location and could suggest/recommend dark sites for me to take my gear without getting stabbed/shot etc :icon_biggrin:

I have been building my setup over the last two years and I know the LP in my back garden is really going to hold my progress back....I recently picked up a SW Evostar 80ED and really want to see how good the result can be in clearer skies and also see just how good my 8" EDGE HD is for observing!

Cheers!

On 9/19/2017 at 08:29, AstroKane said:

Hi All - I am based in Essex (Thurrock). Any of you good folk near my location and could suggest/recommend dark sites for me to take my gear without getting stabbed/shot etc :icon_biggrin:

I have been building my setup over the last two years and I know the LP in my back garden is really going to hold my progress back....I recently picked up a SW Evostar 80ED and really want to see how good the result can be in clearer skies and also see just how good my 8" EDGE HD is for observing!

Cheers!

Hi, Well I'm over in Hockley, and a few others are a little further out towards the city. Quite happy to get out to nice site we found recently. Me and knobby usually get out (when his other half lets him ;-))  I will keep an eye on the weather and keep watching the forum. We did have a post that was used to let everyone know if anyone was heading out. It is better in a group to be fare. I have done solo sessions in fields, but it gets a bit weird if other cars turn up and then disappear....

The edge 800 is a great scope. Knobby has one, and I used to own one. Great for planets and lunar etc. They work well for observing as well (though designed for imaging to be honest). I will dig out the post and see if we can resurrect some nights out.

Regards

15 hours ago, knobby said:

We're gonna need a bigger field :icon_biggrin:

Nah...as long as the farmer has not dumped loads of chipping again we will be fine ;-) Let's make sure we keep an eye on the weather etc now its getting dark. I don't mind meeting up a little earlier so people can find the place. At the moment Moonday (literally) and Tuesday night are looking promising. Moon is 91%, but apart from that....

Had a sail to Bradwell and walked to St Peters a few weeks back, plenty of parking, apart from the monster turbines it looked promising, and I often see anglers at Holywell point with lots of stuff, must be able to park close ? good sky's to the East but a bit of a glow from Kent and Southend to the South.

Is Bradwell airfield an option ?

Nige.

• 9 months later...

How's everyone doing? I've been MIA for a while, i'm still not in Essex but have moved several times... Still have my all my equipment but in NE London with very little view from my garden :(

On 19/07/2018 at 13:56, dan_uk said:

How's everyone doing? I've been MIA for a while, i'm still not in Essex but have moved several times... Still have my all my equipment but in NE London with very little view from my garden :(

Hi Dan, Blazar and myself were talking about you the other night, how have you been keeping ?

DAAAANNNNN!

Good to hear from you mate! as Gary say's we were out the other night and we spoke of the good ol days ? NE london...so not too far then. Last time I heard you moved over to Kent? I thought you were setting up an observation over there. All ok on the non astro side of things I hope!?

We should do a reunion over at MR....:-)

Archived