Narrowband

Where have all the Essex boys gone ?

knobby

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Ed ... and the CPAC member we met was very nice too  :grin:

Well now, it couldn't have been me, cos I'm only friendly if bribed with large quantities of chocolate !!

In truth, we are all in the same club really........Ed.

• 3 weeks later...

so how do I join area 51, I live in Southminster, and like the idea of bbq, and star gazing, someone in the know please give me the heads up ta, Lum , Southminster

Hi Tony.  You could contact Knobby on here, he's a co-founder of Essex cloud dodgers, or join Castle Point Astronomy Club http://www.cpac.org.uk/

CPAC doesn't get out there too often, some members have their own observatories, some of us do what we can from where we live, we've had astrocamps in Suffolk, or Kelling star party in Spring and Autumn, our public open nights etc, and some of us are armchair astronomers....

Do you have a garden ?  Surprising what can be done if you can shield nearby lights.

Or maybe find your own spot not too far from home, has the advantage you can go whenever it suits you.

Hope you find somewhere, Ed.

Area 51, as it's nickname implies is shrouded in mystery with only a few people actually knowing where it is  :grin: ... I've been in the general area, the disused airfeild and as Ed says it's great straight up and in certain directions but pretty orange towards the Bradwell power station

http://www.essex-family-history.co.uk/bradwellbay.htm

keep hoping to get to the CPAC, but that dreaded thing (work) keeps getting in the way, Still, retirement could be the answer, hopefully will get to a meeting in the next month, meanwhile, thanks for the suggestions for back garden etc, I actually think Bradwell airfield would be a better bet for me as my "security minded "neighbour seems to think he needs a security light on 24/7, had thought of a long stick to hit the light with in the hope it would break the bulb, only kidding! I think, see you all soon , Lum 

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys, I am still here :) and after Summer will be out more often. Promise!!! 

Short nights, no proper darkness means no DS or Milky Way. I have spent last evening to search for new site just a bit closer to Southend. Wallasea Island seemed to be got place, not far away from Area 51 (just across the river) however nearby jetty where Crossrail project is dumping material excavated from underground tunnels is full of bright flood lights frown. Mayby in 10 years when lights will go it will be different place:

post-9894-0-22694300-1433511586_thumb.jp

Anyway, just a postcard with Jupiter and Venus on one picture:

post-9894-0-66062800-1433511655_thumb.jp

Hi Bamus, yes indeed, those lights on the conveyor bringing the spoil from the Crossrail project are a pain.  

A few of CPAC have been to the RSPB car park on Wallasea, maybe your car parked to hide those lights could help a bit, but there's the problem that anyone can go there, so car headlights are quite likely.

The search continues......good luck :smiley: Ed.

• 4 months later...

Brentwood boy, exiled to Surrey for37 yrs, is escaping end of October and returning to Essex! Billericay to be exact. Moving date likely to be end of October. Hope to hook up with fellow astronomers in the area. And hoping for reasonably dark skies. Who's out there?

Brentwood boy, exiled to Surrey for37 yrs, is escaping end of October and returning to Essex! Billericay to be exact. Moving date likely to be end of October. Hope to hook up with fellow astronomers in the area. And hoping for reasonably dark skies. Who's out there?

You would be most welcome here http://www.cpac.org.uk/ on any Wednesday, or at our open night public event in November.  We have at least two members who live in the Billericay area.

Regards, Ed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This essex boy has been trying to get a short focal length imaging rig up and running and getting ever so slightly hindered by the frankly dreadful weather of the last few weeks/months. It is a little TS60 with an ASI1600 attached for those widefield beauties :

ts60asi1600.JPG

On 5 August 2016 at 00:52, MattJenko said:

This essex boy has been trying to get a short focal length imaging rig up and running and getting ever so slightly hindered by the frankly dreadful weather of the last few weeks/months. It is a little TS60 with an ASI1600 attached for those widefield beauties :

ts60asi1600.JPG

Now that looks nice....how is the TS60? was thinking of a small scope for travelling around with. looked at the Televue 60, but that has a helical focuser and might be an issue with the solar setup I wanted to setup.

On 05/08/2016 at 00:52, MattJenko said:

ts60asi1600.JPG

You've been busy ... Is that a pole master cap as well ?

6 hours ago, Blazar said:

Now that looks nice....how is the TS60? was thinking of a small scope for travelling around with. looked at the Televue 60, but that has a helical focuser and might be an issue with the solar setup I wanted to setup.

The TS60 seems very well built and put together. It is a long way ahead of an AA 60EDT triplet I owned before it. I have been struggling a bit with the flattener and spacings, given the ginormous field of view it gives, but although it is early days, it appears significantly better colour corrected than the 60EDT and the TS focuser is in a different league. I am doing a much more comprehensive write-up, but it is not finished yet, need a few more sessions of tweaking to come to a conclusion, but it is not going back, that is for sure.

Well just looked at the weather where I am going, and now wish I had got that travel scope sorted....might look at getting something to leave out there for when I visit my Bro in law again....

seeing.png

Archived