Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Buy one, get one fr.........well actually it was "intend to buy one, end up with two!"

Stu

Stu,

I though joining the Dob Mob which we know is a secret soceity was a process with lots of secret ballots and a black ball vote, you seem to have got your feet under the table pretty quickly :grin: .

I was blackballed before I even applied :eek: .

Alan

Well I'm not sure I've been officially accepted yet. I've been practicing my funny handshake though so we will see how it goes ;-)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stu,

I though joining the Dob Mob which we know is a secret society was a process with lots of secret ballots and a black ball vote, you seem to have got your feet under the table pretty quickly :grin: .

I was blackballed before I even applied :eek: .

Alan

I think you're confusing being invited to a meet and invited into the inner sanctum Alan...They're just after his 'Scope :evil:

I was invited once but was told to bring a goat, some stocks and an egg beater......I declined :D

When does the Canopus arrive Alan?

I think 1/10th makes sense on the f6.3 as it will be more a high mag and planetary scope, particularly in the EQ platform.

Always tricky to know what to go for, although actually the upgrade cost from 1/8th to 1/10th is not so high?

I think you and me are very much the same as I know I would have come back with both as well, as far as I know we only live once.

I thought my Canopus would have been with me by now but it can only be a matter of days.  I believe your correct on the 1/10th-1/8 issue I want to see what my 1/8 PV Nichols mirror is like first.. I would really like the longer scope but I don't really want to be stepping up and down all the time, ideally I would have liked the same as John the 12 inch F 5.3 but I am a bit unsure of the extra weight on the Az eq 6, for me it is a bit too close to top end of the spec.

Alan

Alan

I think you're confusing being invited to a meet and invited into the inner sanctum Alan...They're just after his 'Scope :evil:I was invited once but was told to bring a goat, some stocks and an egg beater......I declined :D

The egg beater was a step to far Eh :D

Out of interest Alan, what are you hoping to do with it? 

Edit; The smaller scope that is :)

Steve,

I want it on my EQ mount mainly for planetary, I may put it in the obsey with the LX it is big enough, the dob will not be any use in there because of the design. Then again I could change my mind, as you do.

Alan

Steve,

I want it on my EQ mount mainly for planetary, I may put it in the obsey with the LX it is big enough, the dob will not be any use in there because of the design. Then again I could change my mind, as you do.

Alan

Alan, why not get an EQ platform and a dob base like the one I've just got? Sorted for planets and should be nice and stable.

The 10" f6.3 is not that tall, probably just at eye level for me when on the EQ platform at the zenith. I'm a fraction under six feet tall (not that I'm bitter about that fraction ;-) )

Stu

or buy another :)

Stop it Scott! I'm in enough trouble already without your help!

I think we need a Scopaholic section! Trouble is, everyone would just egg people on to buy more!! I once started a thread about whether to sell a 17 or 21mm Ethos. I'm sure most of the responses were either to keep both or even buy something else! ;-)

Congrats on the new scopes Stu. I had viewed the advert for the OO10" many a time while on UK B&S itching to find reason in buying another scope. Sadly as always funds became the deciding factor for not making the journey down to Plymouth myself. Glad to see it has gone to a good home and hope that maybe at some star party in the future I may get the chance to have a look through it myself ;)

I need to lose the Mak bit! :-)

Or buy another more like :grin: .  That reminds me I '\ve got a Mak.

On the platform I may well get one in due course, I just need to see a quality one, it\s like everything it would be so much nicer if you could touch and see one beforehand. I think I will see how I get on with the; nudge, nudge, wink, wink say no more.

Alan  (wearing one walking sock standing in a bucket of water with whisk in hand and antlers on my head)

Lol

I remember once selling a 13mm ethos and most comments centered on the emotional harm I might suffer! It's an eyepiece for goodness sale. I can always buy another in due course :0)

Actually, I do tend to agree with that Shane. I would hang on to my scopes and shift eyepieces first. Certainly the Vixen and Sumerian would be hard to replace whereas eyepieces are a bit easier, although you may have to buy new

Or buy another more like :grin: . That reminds me I 've got a Mak.

On the platform I may well get one in due course, I just need to see a quality one, its like everything it would be so much nicer if you could touch and see one beforehand. I think I will see how I get on with the; nudge, nudge, wink, wink say no more.

Alan (wearing one walking sock standing in a bucket of water with whisk in hand and antlers on my head)

Mr Potts, unless you have actually been barred from the UK for your bizarre attempts to persuade the Dob Mob to accept you into their ranks, I think you should hop on a plane more often and get over here for a star party somewhere dark. How about it?

True John but I believe Stu almost has 30 scopes now, I think he has more than me and I just can't sell them here unless I nearly give them away and sending them to the UK is not that easy.

Alan

I can't help being more interested in eyepieces than scopes  :embarrassed: 

I know it's weird and I'm going to seek some treatment at SGLX .....

Stu,

It is on my to do list, I don't know which one it would be and sleeping is a bit of a problem as I don't have any gear for that but I am sure you will see me one day. The biggest problem is my Son at school, they finish at 12.20 every day and I have to look after him in the afternoon, but maybe I can sort something out , where there is a will. I would love to come to one of the SGL meets, maybe fly into Manchester and get the train down to somewhere near.

John,

I too have a few eyepieces which is a problem as the wife is asking what this one does that this one don''t

Alan

its a more compact passion John!

True, eyepieces are easier to hide!

For the record, my current scope count is 13! This needs to come down quite dramatically to 8 very soon (if my maths is correct)!!

Stu,

It is on my to do list, I don't know which one it would be and sleeping is a bit of a problem as I don't have any gear for that but I am sure you will see me one day. The biggest problem is my Son at school, they finish at 12.20 every day and I have to look after him in the afternoon, but maybe I can sort something out , where there is a will. I would love to come to one of the SGL meets, maybe fly into Manchester and get the train down to somewhere near.

John,

I too have a few eyepieces which is a problem as the wife is asking what this one does that this one don''t

Alan

Sure we could sort you out with a tent Alan, I've got spares.

Archived