Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tal100r coming my way!

Gents....Success!  Decided not to start another thread. Was easier with someone holding the Tube, and after applying a bit more pressure it started to move. At that point we started to gently remove the focuser tube from the rear. after a couple of minutes, the two were separated. examination of the thread seemed to show it had not endured damage, though a quick once over with a file just to make sure.

Then checked the OTA side and again the threads seemed good, so obviously someone being ham fisted with it. A gentle clean, and then carefully wound backwards until the threads caught. then began winding it back in slowly and correctly. So all's well that ends will. Tested it out, and still get good views and its straight and as tight as needs be. Andy: apologies I did not take any photos of the work, but was concentrating on avoiding damage. I could have given you some shots of the internal tube. Sorry.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good result Blazar.

I don't know if it's accepted practice but I've always found that on noisy, sqeaky threads the lightest smear of vaseline/petroleum jelly does the trick - but not near glass lenses though!

Can we see pics of the newly aligned tube? Not that we don't believe you of course! :grin:  :grin:

Dave

Picked up the scope yesterday evening from a lovely guy who is a real camera buff. Consequently, the scope's been very well looked after. It was built in 2002 and bought in 2003 from Sherwoods Photo in Birmingham.

I had fun assembling it yesterday evening but it was too clouded out for any first light (naturally).

Spent a good part of the evening trying to learn how equatorial mounts work! It's my first exposure to these beasts :)

Over breakfast this morning I showed the kids the thin moon crescent from indoors using the supplied 25mm plossl and they were suitably impressed.

There was no box with the scope. The previous owner said it arrived in some kind of cardboard box.

IMG 2907

IMG 2910

IMG 2922

IMG 2916

IMG 2915

IMG 2927

IMG 2906

IMG 2905

This is a lovely scope, and I couldn't be happier with it. Tonight should be clear, and I'm hoping for a real test drive! :)

Nice, mister_wavey !!

Let us know how you get on :)

:smiley: Andy

ps: You may already know this, but I'll post it anyway, just in case ;) To adjust focuser for tension, grab left wheel and turn right wheel anti-clockwise. Might be pretty stiff if never adjusted before. if you don't think the focuser is as smooth as it could be, just say and I'll post up a pdf guide about stripping it down for a re-grease & re-build. Can make a difference. All my examples of this type of focuser are butter smooth after some tlc, to be honest.

My god, those Russians know engineering, don't they! I just tried the left/right wheel tweak and it worked great :)

thank you for that, lovely to know!

I still haven't had a proper session with the scope yet, weather hasn't been playing ball! 

John - They're just selling off what they have left in their stocks.

Tal, their astro arm, isn't profitable enough in comparison to say, a rifle sight. Sad but true.

I would really like to add to my collection....we will have to see whats out there. How are the klevstov's?

The Klevstov`s are interesting, heavy, but good optics with  a quirky focuser. Did i say they are heavy

Jules that's not quite true. It may be with the f10 Klevstov's, but my Tal200 f8.5 is a lot lighter and has a very good Crayford focuser.  :smiley:

Steve

Yes please - would love to see some pics of that 8.5 Klevtsov.

I am still kicking myself for not buying an immaculate 200 a few years ago at a silly price (£300)  - in its original coffin box and looked as if it had never been used.  Aaaarggghhhhh :(

Archived