Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tal100r coming my way!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great find! Pics and first light report asap please!:-)..

Some users rate the 100r lens even higher than the later RS optics..they are certainly prettier, with a really deep purple hue..

Purple haze and all that, man, LOL!

Dave

Fleabay sometimes delivers the goods! Little-used scope with original wooden tripod for £150 nearby. Very pleased :)

(So long as it doesn't have the condensation damage that the other recent scope on eBay had!)

Lovely buy they really are a cracking scope for the money you wont be disappointed  :smiley:

I had one of the early TAL 100's, buying it new in 1999. The model was the TAL 100RT and that had the machined metal dew shield and a diagonal that attached to the drawtube using an SCT-type screw fitting. The focuser did not have a great deal of travel and you were limited to 1.25" eyepieces but it was a great scope. I have fond memories of it  :smiley:

post-118-0-60330500-1421261727_thumb.jpg

Glyn,

Thanks for posting the photos, that colour on the lens coatings is stunning! How does the serial number dating work? (Noticed you say yours dates to 2002?).

John, I too bought my first 100R in 1999, from Warehouse Express. It was my first online astro purchase and being a scope I was very nervous about it arriving in one piece so to speak..

I needn't have worried - it arrived in a Siberian coffin which I swear must have weighed almost as much as a real coffin - with a real body inside!! Lol :-).

The crate was actually quite battered on the outside, no doubt due to its' marathon journey from Siberia, but inside it was as new, with everything securely in place and that certain "Tal smell" that their kit always has when new.

As I recall I paid around £250 for it, with full eq mount and very nice wood tripod-its a shame they don't still sell the tripod, they would mate well with an Eq5/Cg5 mount.

Good memories:-)

Dave

Glyn,

Thanks for posting the photos, that colour on the lens coatings is stunning! How does the serial number dating work? (Noticed you say yours dates to 2002?).

John, I too bought my first 100R in 1999, from Warehouse Express. It was my first online astro purchase and being a scope I was very nervous about it arriving in one piece so to speak..

I needn't have worried - it arrived in a Siberian coffin which I swear must have weighed almost as much as a real coffin - with a real body inside!! Lol :-).

The crate was actually quite battered on the outside, no doubt due to its' marathon journey from Siberia, but onside it was as new, with everything securely in place and that certain "Tal smell" that their kit always has when new.

As I recall I paid around £250,for it, with full eq mount and very nice wood tripod-its a shame they don't still sell the tripod, they would mate well with an Eq5/Cg5 mount.

Good memories:-)

Dave

My experience mirrors yours almost to the letter Dave :smiley:

I think I paid £250 delivered as well but mine was ordered from Sherwoods who then had a Birmingham showroom. The wooden "coffin" was sent to my work place as I was on holiday in the USA when it was delivered. I think they thought Count Dracula had arrived ! :grin:

As you say, nice memories :smiley:

Hi MoA:-)

I believe so, yes. My CG5 has a fixed height robust wooden tripod which replaced the original (and very solid) 2" tubular steel unit. I can honestly say the wooden tripod damps vibrations down more quickly and is more rgid..others might feel different though:-)

Dave

Dave I got mine on ebay for 110 pounds last august.

I had a great bargain as it came with all the original parts including boxes and wooden tripod.

It also had the original booklet which had the date 24 april 2002 I think.

Not sure sure the significance of the serial number im afraid.

I will post some pics when I get home from work in the morning.

Wow! I like the wooden tripod.Are they really much better at dampening down vibration in comparison to metal legged tripods of similar size?

Hi moa as dave has said it really is a very solid tripod and the slo mo controls are very handy tho i prefer the ease of the az 4.

Might do a comparison test sat if the weather is clear.

Congrats. I could not resist my 100r when it came up...was really just after the mount...but ended up with the whole thing. Now I have two x 100RS  and the 100r. Might make a large set of bins out the 100RS 's ;-)

The box of doom...really heavy stuff:

med_gallery_27945_2335_75882.jpg

and what is inside:

gallery_27945_2335_482802.jpg

really are nice scopes...loce it how the serial number is emgraved on a plate on the box. This is another 1999 model though with a plastic dew shield, but with the screw on focuser.Also has the screw on camera attachment. got a great deal for £180 a couple of years ago now,

If anyone has a screw-on Tal diagonal for the early 'R', I would dearly love to see some close up pics. I might have seen a pic once. Tis a rare thing.

:)

Andy

ps: The RS I had was an early one, with the 2" R&P focuser, similar to the Synta types of the time. Just found the handbook in a pile of scrap paper in a cupboard. I realised it was an early one, but it turns it was very early, perhaps one of the first runs. #0856 and dated 14 ноя 2001. ноя being short for ноябрь, or November.

pps: useless Tal fact, I found at the weekend #1 = Factory price of fully kitted out 100R(scope, mount, tripod etc) was £102 going by historic x-change rate calc :tongue:

If anyone has a screw-on Tal diagonal for the early 'R', I would dearly love to see some close up pics. I might have seen a pic once. Tis a rare thing.

:)

Andy

ps: The RS I had was an early one, with the 2" R&P focuser, similar to the Synta types of the time. Just found the handbook in a pile of scrap paper in a cupboard. I realised it was an early one, but it turns it was very early, perhaps one of the first runs. #0856 and dated 14 ноя 2001. ноя being short for ноябрь, or November.

pps: useless Tal fact, I found at the weekend #1 = Factory price of fully kitted out 100R(scope, mount, tripod etc) was £102 going by historic x-change rate calc :tongue:

Andy....are these ok for you? I put it up against a standard TAL100RS diagonal for comparison, and added a rough scale. Any others you need let me know.

gallery_27945_3014_345621.jpg

gallery_27945_3014_5204954.jpg

med_gallery_27945_3014_1717242.jpg

med_gallery_27945_3014_1303763.jpg

gallery_27945_3014_3292182.jpg

gallery_27945_3014_4965402.jpg

gallery_27945_3014_3152505.jpg

I don't mean to highjack the thread...but Andy did want these ;-)

Errata...mine has the metal dew shield, that seems to have a thread on the inside edge?!?

Regards

Archived