SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tal100r coming my way!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super, super pics

does the r&p focuser screw to the tube backplate? I can see what looks like threads. Have you unscrewed it for the photo?

Not touched it....I see what you mean about the threads though. I will carefully remove it and have a look.

Well its not moving...and have stopped. I just tested it looking out the front, and I get a perfect (or perfect to me) view. Andy...I assume it would be standard thread direction.....though if it works I am tempted to leave it....no knowing how long it has been like that. I never noticed it before...just shows you...

Do let us all know how you get on.

Meanwhile.......... the focuser that I was aware of on the 'R', was as on the earlier Klevtsovs. ie: a push fit diagonal, but with a flange built into the original one piece casting, as in these pics of the back of my Klev.

I wonder if there was ever a further revision and they changed it once again to a push fit, but this time with a flange-less type. Using a smooth 1.25" diagonal, as in your pic above, but with a mating piece on the focuser ala the later Tal-1.....

Tal 1 focuser #1

Mmmm............ intriguing............

rathbone9.jpg

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Well its not moving...and have stopped. I just tested it looking out the front, and I get a perfect (or perfect to me) view. Andy...I assume it would be standard thread direction.....though if it works I am tempted to leave it....no knowing how long it has been like that. I never noticed it before...just shows you...

Oooft. Sounds like a previous owner has threaded it back in and it's caught on the wrong threads. Hellspawn.

Shane...there is a long story.....but to put it simply:

1) buy a TAL100rs....it arrives...slightly damaged (IE one of the finder scope screw holes was slightly depressed..and was chipped paint...I was despondent at that point)

2) took some pictures and showed the vendor. they were shocked. They agreed to send a replacement (which they did). I was expecting to return the first one....but they did not want it back as it would cost them too much to repair and sell on again...so they did not bother picking it up...so I now had two 100RS yet no mount to put it on.

3) I needed a tripod and fell in love with the old TAL wooden one. whilst looking for one for sale, I came across the 100r for sale (with original box and tripod and mount plus lots of there extras) at a camera shop in wales. I paid for the thing, and got it shipped to Essex....I now have an AVX, and just recently put a new dovetail bar on one of the RS for use.

SO there you have it...though would not mind converting one of the RS to Solar use at some point....

Oooft. Sounds like a previous owner has threaded it back in and it's caught on the wrong threads. Hellspawn.

Yes....though am tempted to leave it. I don't want to apply force on the focuser itself....and do damage (although these are built like tanks. Also don't want anything to drop inside the tube and damage the lens. Andy, do you have any contacts who can confirm the threading and which way to turn. if you want some other pics etc then I will gladly sort those out.

I'd get that sorted. Even if it's solid and not moving as is, that's a decent angle it's at. Will defo be clipping the light cone, even with the diagonal collimated to get the best alignment, you're never going to be getting the best out that scope. Not by a long shot.

It's alluminium so go carefully as you use force to unscrew anti clockwise. I think there's going to be a bit of damage no matter, but with luck not severe. Once off, check for thread damage before screwing back on. If damaged it could make the threads even worse and totally knacker them, by screwing together as is. Use a very small modellers file and clean upo any potential nastyness on the thread. Use a magnifing glass if necessary. This is all worse case senario by the way, not trying to be a doom n gloom merchant. :sad:

Andy.

Will have another go...though might need an extra pair of hands to hold the tube. Will have to cover the tube body with something to protect it, and use some sort of grip...would some WD40 be wise...?ensuring the OTA is kept parallel? Might wait until daylight and get some additional engineering expertise over to my place....do have all my modelling files so no worries there. cheers for the advice.

Will have another go...though might need an extra pair of hands to hold the tube. Will have to cover the tube body with something to protect it, and use some sort of grip...would some WD40 be wise...?ensuring the OTA is kept parallel? Might wait until daylight and get some additional engineering expertise over to my place....do have all my modelling files so no worries there. cheers for the advice.

Good post. Take a deep breath and leave alone for now.

I agree with Andy. Do this when you have plenty of time. you could take the focuser pinion off and remove the drawtube and also take off the focuser body from the scope and then you don't have to worry about optics etc.

it's unlikely to be as bad as it could be.

Archived