Hi Everyone!

Bagofmostlywater

Hi All, I've been a bit of a lurker over the past few weeks (so much so that I only registered an account this evening) but finally decided to take the plunge and join in.

I was introduced to the sky by my binocular wielding father back before telescopes were quite so accessible (enter the other three Yorkshiremen). Purely by chance I recently came across an article on modern beginner telescopes, a few hundred quid later here I am!

I have a background in photography so I'm quite happy with the optical side of things. Aside from that I've been working as an archaeologist for the last few years and I'm hoping astronomy will force me to pull my trousers up and start acting like a real scientist. I'm particularly looking forward to the challenge of learning how to use a whole load of new equipment.

...and on that note if anyone knows what to do with a slightly rattly sadle plate feel free to let me know before I pull the whole thing to bits for no real reason ;)

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I look forward to pestering you all in the future.

Welcome to SGL - what scope/kit did you get?

Picked up a second hand EQ6 (the older, black type without a GoTo function) which is the source of my wobbly saddle plate woes (hopefully just a loose grub screw but you never know). On Saturday I am picking up an 8" Helios which from what I understand is a Skywatcher 200P from before Skywatcher 200Ps existed. Still need to get a couple of odds and sods: wouldn't mind a collimator.  No doubt I'm missing a couple of useful/essential widgets so all suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

Hi and welcome to SGL, before you start work on the saddle plate of the EQ6, it might prudent to repost the problem into the Equipment help and advice section, you should get a more positive response to your inquiry than here in the Welcome section :)

Hi and welcome to SGL, before you start work on the saddle plate of the EQ6, it might prudent to repost the problem into the Equipment help and advice section, you should get a more positive response to your inquiry than here in the Welcome section  :)

Much appreciated however luckily all it took was a quick clean and tighten. No doubt I'll be in there soon begging for advice when I break something... ;)

Archived