NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

We need your help - top ten gadgets / gizmo's / items

Ant

We want to put together a list of the top 10 useful things that you've come across for astronmy.

It can be (within reason) anything, but it ideally needs to be something the someone new to astronomy wouldn't have thought of. So Eyepieces, telescopes, mounts, upgrades etc are all NOT to be included.

One's that spring to mind for me include.

1. Red Light torch

2. Turn left at Orion

3. Pirates :afro: Eye patch

4. My sheep skin trappers hat

There will be loads more, I'm going to try and provide this list with a rough price and place to buy if they are interested.

So the question is

What's the best simple purchase you've made that makes life easier while observing - that other's MAY not have thought off?

The final list will be decided by Admin - it's going to be limited to 10 (ideally) but if there are more than 10 exceptional idea's then it'll be longer.

This is not a thread for traders to promote there own products - if it's a great idea then it can stay. If it's a "My 2x Barlow is great and I couldn't live without it" post it will get deleted.

Come on then guy's and girls, lets have them answers...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thread :afro:.

1:Padded, thermal, WINDPROOF trousers such as Skiing/Snowboarding salopettes. Everyone's got a big coat but a pair of jeans just won't cut it on a gloriously clear freezing February night especially trying to polar align your mount and getting a wet backside. Get yourself down to Blacks or Snow & Rock (or whoever) and treat yourself to a pair. Your legs will love you for it.

2: Boxes. Be they plain old plastic containers or supercool flight cases, if you're organised you'll take less time faffing about looking for stuff and more time for your session, simple.

3: A table or two is good. I have the kids' blue plastic one permanently out in the garden plus a aluminium camping one.

I'm sure there's more...

Tony..

1/The love of a good partner is vital and priceless

2/One of those little 12volt dc liquid heaters for mashing a brew

3/A 12volt dc to mains ac inverter for charging up the laptop whilst out in the field

4/Bit obscure one but a one of those FM radio mini scan gadgets can maybe help with weather bulletins

call it quits there for now I have a website to run you know!
:shock: :afro:

1.) Extra and cheap new batteries for the Camera (Canon 400D in my case) - I never run out of steam now, as when one is finished, the other has recharged. Bought off ebay, very cheaply.

2) Green Laser Pointer. I bought a 100mw pointer again from ebay. It is ideal for showing others what you are looking at, and where it is in the sky. Also has a daytime benefit of driving the neighbours cats mad by shining it on the floor and getting them to chase it.

3) Hot tub. Ideal for naked, naked eye astronomy. Perfect for meteor showers. Couldn't possibly comment on aphrodisiac benefits :afro:

4) Book choice; Illustrated guide to astronomical wonders.

5) USB extension cables - Maplins

Ant, start a 'booby' list as well, for the worst buys.

My No.1 = Off axis guider

TJ

Thermal long johns

Philip's Deep Sky Observers Guide

Ironing stool from Aldi

A good idea at the time was my battery powered flameless ciggy lighter. Could light a smoke without frazzling my night vision. I gave up smoking 3 months ago so gave the lighter away.

My mechanics stool (Aldi £15) - on wheels, keeps me still while observing so I observe rather than look, allows me to keep my feet off the floor which keeps them warmer

Velcro - for attaching handsets to tripods, scopes, keeping cables tidy etc etc

The sticky stuff that stops rugs moving - great for adding to an eyepiece tray or toolbox to stop the bits rolling around

Glow in the dark paint - add to eyepiece boxes etc so you can pick them out in the dark

Pocket warmers - keep your hands and your eyepieces warm

A Buff or turtle fur neck warmer to stop the drafts that come when you bend your head.

Helen

Digital Weather Station......great for predicting local weather.Gives you constant barometer charts so you can see what the air pressure is doing,temperature,humidity,dew point,wind speed/direction,all updated every minute or so.

Using this in conjunction with satellite images it is surprising how accurately you can predict your own weather.

post-13543-133877338835_thumb.jpg

Archived