Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Double Cluster

PhotoGav

I have finally got round to processing my subs of The Double Cluster, taken during a couple of breaks in the dank, foggy, yucky, tedious cloud that we are enduring this winter... Oh lovely and dark, but to what use?! Sorry, I digress....

NGC 869 & NGC 884 - The Double Cluster in Perseus, collected on 14 & 23 November:

post-29321-0-98933500-1417475749_thumb.p

Skywatcher ED80 with Reducer, QSI-683, HEQ5.

R = 18 x 300s

G = 18 x 300s

B = 18 x 300s

Total integration time of 4.5 hours

I've opted for the colourful look, not sure if that was a good choice, but it's what I did! I have wondered about collecting some Ha subs to see if I can bring a suggestion of the red nebulosity that these clusters sit in, though I'm not convinced that it would do anything for this image at this focal length. Probably a good idea for a wider shot of this area of sky?

Is this a 'boring' target to photograph? That is the question that has gone through my mind while processing this image.... Yes, I am suffering from lack of scope time....

As ever, I look forward to hearing your opinions, suggestions, advice and criticisms.

I quite like it and don't find it boring at all. But "each to their own" I suppose? Planetary doesn't interest me whatsoever.

I like the Star colouring as well.

I guess the main thing is that you like it otherwise you wouldn't have taken the time to photograph it?

IMO it's not boring, the DC is a nice target to have a go at and yours has turned out very well.

Have just done a wide image of this area with the Heart and Soul but did'nt notice much red around the DC.

Conditions were poor so surprised I got as much as I did.

Looks good as is. Some of these open clusters hide some real gems. I was bored and did about a half dozen or so last year and was surprised to find nebulosity and small galaxies in the FOV. Who knew.

JB

Clusters are a challenge because they are often so crisp at the eyepiece. (Yes, I do have eyepieces still!) It can be very hard to make them pop in images.

This was an arresting picture from the first glance, probably because of the feisty colour - the strongest I remember on the DC. So the image has something to say, and the strong colour is responsible for that. Good call. It isn't just another DC.

Also worth noting that the stars and the background sky are frequently the hardest part of an image to get right and here they are both bang on. 

Olly

Thank you all for your positive comments.

I do like the target very much, wouldn't have gone there if I didn't, and I am very happy with the way the image has turned out. I think the 'boring' thing was just a result of 'process-brain-melt-down', too long staring at millions of little dots... There's a question - how many stars are in this image? Answers on a postcard to....

The colour is an interesting one. I have processed this really quite unagressively, all the colour is very much in the data. The QSI never stops amazing me with its sensitivity. I have done the usual saturation tweaks, a play in LAB colour mode and one 66% iteration of Saturate Block, but no more than that. Those stars are a colourful bunch and they certainly surprised me in the processing!

Today's bonus - a clear sky forecast tonight.... Will have to spend the day working out the best way to use the limited time!

Thank you Pete, Martyn & Martin.

Martyn, re. saturation boosting - just using the Hue/Saturation controls in PS doesn't give the best results. I normally just use that at a very low level, perhaps 10%, a couple of times while stretching the stars to stop them bleaching out. My favourite colour boosts are the LAB Colour technique, the Saturate Block method and, for stars, Noel's 'Increase Star Colour' action.

Thank you Pete, Rob, WaveSoarer & Goonrdolly.

Pete - you're right, boring doesn't exist out there beyond our atmosphere!

Rob - yes, the APOD pic that I flicked past in my research has all that Ha dusty cloudiness in it (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140123.html), but it is a much wider field of view. I'm not convinced that this FOV would have enough non Ha to give the colour contrast, so it would just turn the background colour a bit reddish. Would love to try a wide shot of this area - another good reason why I 'need' a baby q with reducer!

Archived