Hi

Yearofthegoat

Hi Everyone.

Just signed up as I'm thinking of getting a telescope and these forums seem to be quite friendly and very helpful.

Am considering an EQ5 mount with Synscan / Goto capability, along with a 130 or 150PDS so that I can do some visual and some AP without the kit being so heavy it never leaves home.  But that'll be the subject of my next post!

Forgot to add any info about myself!

I live in Guildford (Surrey, England) and so far have only used telescopes at beaches, so a complete noob. But one of my other hobbies is photography, so I understand about chromatic aberration, focal lengths, lens speeds etc etc.  I did take a photo of saturn a couple of years ago with my Canon 30D using a 200m lens with 2x adapter IIRC. At least it was the right shape for Saturn anyway!

Am going to try some photography without telescope before taking the plunge on kit. I guess the EQ5 would be okay tracking something with just the DSLR strapped to it?  More research needed but perhaps I'd get that first.

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  Good luck with the AP.  Hope to give it a go next year perhaps, but need new gear first. :huh:   If you copy your post to the Beginners section, more people tend to read that section rather than the Welcome section.

Hi Yearofthegoat and welcome to SGL. If you want to try tracked camera photography and you can manage a bit of DIY look up "  Barn Door Tracker " projects, simple devises for photographing the night sky with a camera  :)

Archived