SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My PST stage one / two mod

Moonshane

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not with the BF5. it's about a quarter disk. the BF10 or bigger would give full disk views which is my next purchase as I do like to see the whole picture.

With my BF10 I can get FD views with a 15mm Plossl, just. I can let you borrow it to try out sometime after this weekend, as i am off to Galloway.

Ian

Cheers Ian

there is a chance I may get to see Peter Drew this weekend and he has offered a chance to use a bf10/15 if I do (on the day). If not I will be in touch :o)

You really have got the Solar bug!  Are you planning to go to tod saturday night weather permitting ?

Darn it..... now you got me thinking of PST mods again lol. Really chuffed for you getting what sounds like some superb results out of the PST mod. I know you were struggling with the growing choice that has appeared over this past year as have so many of us :icon_confused:

As I said before I think Lunt shot themselves in the foot pre-empting the release of the LS50 but respect them for not just letting out duff scopes on the market. It appears for you at least that this was a blessing in disguise.

Nick, the main thing putting me off a mod was the practicality of pulling it all together. I just knew it would take me ages and the Quark gives instant (well after ten mins!) gratification in comparison.

With my range of scopes the Quark was also a good choice. The one thing I am 'missing' is full disk views with the resolution of a larger aperture. I can get this in the 60mm but without a side by side I don't know how much difference there is. I believe the Quark vs PST mod at high mag should be fairly comparable, possibly in Quarks favour as I can go to 120mm.

Anyway, Shane has done really well to pull together a kit which has been fairly trouble free to assemble and is giving great results :-)

Happy days :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick question. Putting the ERF inside the tube for full aperture... Wont it get hot n cause tube currents etc? When outside the tube it will be exposed to the air so not get so hot. Just asking!

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Just a quick question. Putting the ERF inside the tube for full aperture... Wont it get hot n cause tube currents etc? When outside the tube it will be exposed to the air so not get so hot. Just asking!

Yes there will be some tube currents but as you are observing during the day I find that there is more image degredation from what you are observing over i.e. roofs, roads etc. This is why the best viewing is usually undertaken in the morning before everything heats up.

Saturdays are the only days we can guarantee to be open, other evenings rely on a keyholder to be available. There will be a few of us up tonight for some further tests on the rebuilt 30".

Re solar, a Baader D-ERF reflects heat out of the telescope so even if placed internally there is minimal heating effect, a Quark by comparison lets all of the heat in but nobody has yet complained about  tube currents, similar situation with a HW. BTW I'm still getting good results in Ha with a 120mm aperture despite the low Sun.  :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

well thanks to Chris, another SGL member, who kindly agreed to do the machining work, I now have a cell which fits 10" down the tube of my TAL, allowing full aperture Ha at 100mm.

I have yet to flock the top end of the scope, and probably the from of the cell, to reduce internal reflections and then put it all back together to trial it. I should have this done for next week and will report back at that point.

amazingly, another SGLer has agreed to loan me their BF10 (thanks Ian!) so I'll hopefully be able to gauge whether or not that investment is worth it. I suspect that with 4x the field of the BF5, it will be!

I now have a rebuilt pst 2 mid with internal DERF!

Will add pics when I get the chance but Although I flocked the tube top end I messed it up a bit and may redo it if I ever paint the tube. That said I like the fact the tube on this looks shabby as it will increase the shock when you see the views!

met with Ian (uplooker) today and it was great to see him albeit briefly. he loaned me his BF10 so I can now try a 'finished' PST stage 2 mod. full disk at 100mm aperture - yummy. cheers Ian! I'll look after your valuables - promise :smiley:

Archived