Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ST80 Mods for Imaging

Gina

Done it :)  Warming the plastic worked a treat - thread came undone quite easily with two hands (one each end).  So I've taken the lenses out and blacked the edges with black marker.  The end of the focuser had lost a bit of matt black paint so I did that too :)  Should be good to go now.  Might be an hour or two clear tomorrow night.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new ST80 is back in place and I've focussed and aligned it onto my favourite daytime target - the tree on the far hill.

Here are screenshots of the Artemis software for each of the three imaging systems via TeamViewer.

Esprit 80ED with 460EX and OIII filter

post-13131-0-60683200-1417965369.jpg

ST80 with 460EX and Ha filter

post-13131-0-77021600-1417965372.jpg

ST80 with 314L+ and SII filter

post-13131-0-82674900-1417965370.jpg

That's probably my problem too and I have little hands! Bu

What I would try, put telescope between legs with rubber gloves as a lining to your legs then wear a rubber glove and try twist pull the dew shield off.

I find yellow marigolds rescue me on jar opening loads

Clear skies but having equipment problems - guiding just refuses to work properly (using PHD) :(  No known reason - guiding setup hasn't changed.  I'm just going to have to run unguided so I'm limited to 5m subs :(  Makes me wonder if it's worth continuing tonight :(

post-13131-0-59175900-1417984201.jpg

I can see that the stars are no longer triangular though so I've cured the pinching :)

What I would try, put telescope between legs with rubber gloves as a lining to your legs then wear a rubber glove and try twist pull the dew shield off.

I find yellow marigolds rescue me on jar opening loads

Thanks, I'll bear that technique in mind if I ever have another go. (We're gonna need more gloves!)

Louis2

My Borg is a swine to work on, I bought a couple of Boa Constrictor rubber oil filter wrenches, they do the job wonderfully.

Oil filter wrenches?!  I thought the time-honoured way to remove a reluctant oil filter was a hammer and a large screwdriver :)

(No, I don't do it that way :)  I have a clamp mechanism that fits on the end of a 1/2" socket drive.)

James

I have had to drill holes in T2 extension tubes to get them apart when the above rubber and plastic tool and others have failed.  Same as the old oil filter hammer and screwdriver principle but cleaner :D  (I don't do car servicing these days.)

I have had to drill holes in T2 extension tubes to get them apart when the above rubber and plastic tool and others have failed.  Same as the old oil filter hammer and screwdriver principle but cleaner :D  (I don't do car servicing these days.)

There is a huge market for adapters with groves in so as to allow a steel rule to be places accross the diameter as jam unlock system, I dont rate the two holes some designs have theu are often not deep enough to take a point and it slips out if dealing with a jam.

There is a huge market for adapters with groves in so as to allow a steel rule to be places accross the diameter as jam unlock system, I dont rate the two holes some designs have theu are often not deep enough to take a point and it slips out if dealing with a jam.

It is possible to buy proper pin spanners for this purpose.  Finding ones with small enough pins for some astronomy gear seems to be a bit more challenging though.

James

My Borg is a swine to work on, I bought a couple of Boa Constrictor rubber oil filter wrenches, they do the job wonderfully.

DA0C2F3E-C2E8-459E-B308-023264814FA6.jpg

Marigolds might be more fun though!

Just wondering if one of these would be big enough to wrap around an 80mm dew shield - about 340mm in circumference?

Give the marigolds a try they get me opening stuff I have otherwise failed.

Now I know how the dew shield comes off on mine and how much force is needed I can do it by hand just. Though I appreciate I have the Orion one and that dew shield is metal not plastic.

Just wondering if one of these would be big enough to wrap around an 80mm dew shield - about 340mm in circumference?

Sure is, I have two of different sizes, the larger will cope with over 50 cm circumference.

H

Sure is, I have two of different sizes, the larger will cope with over 50 cm circumference.

H

Oh ok, thanks. I can't pretend I understand about their quoted sizes.... They have this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BOA-13-2612-Standard-Strap-Wrench/dp/B00096JDKS/ref=sr_1_3?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1418065621&sr=1-3&keywords=boa+wrench#productDetails

It says '160mm' then says 10-100mm in the spec. Doesn't seem big enough... Do you have a link?

Louise

Hi Louise, I think that the two sizes are quoted as 100mm dia and 160mm dia. 

http://www.tools-warehouse.co.uk/BOA-CONSTRICTOR-STRAP-WRENCH/product/TB14503/0652628425217/

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/boa-constrictor-wrench---160mm-771506

The smaller, blue, model is called a baby boa I think

Huw

Thanks but I'm still confused about the sizes - do they refer to diameter rather than circumference?

Louise

Archived