SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What EP do you find best on tweaking galaxy detail?

bomberbaz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...only thing I like on BCOs are winged eyguards.

I like the volcano top too, it makes the eye lens easier accessible, the 10mm BCO's 8mm ER feels not not worse than 16mm Maxvion's 12mm ER, to my eye.

I had BCOs, and did not like them. Some FC was seen on end of FOV.

Are you sure it's FC? I'd think it's the increase FOV (some 20% more than conventional abbe ortho) which makes the astigmatism in edge more visible than orthos, and the bigger FOV shows the pincushion distortions in edge too..

But the on axis sharpness beats many of eyepieces I've used, such as BST, Maxvision etc.

I have 2 eyepieces that show threshold or near threshold objects in my 10"- the 10E and the 18mm BCO/VIP 2x barlowed and I'm positive a 10mm BCO would be at least as good, probably better. I tested repeatedly on Stephan's Quintet and some other faint objects that are totally dependent on excellent sky conditions for their detection. The FOV is very challenging for me in the manual dob however.

Great conclusion and report John.

FC is False Colours ;-)

I see, my bad, because most of the time, people write FC meaning Field Curvature.

Still, the false color is only seen in the edge, and it is, IMHO, the result of bigger FOV than conventional abbe orthos. While the transmission and sharpness on axis are as good as second tier abbe orthos, with ZAO II/CZJ/ZAOI as the best ones.

Alan, If you like to try some BCOs, with the EP assortment you have, I'd think 10mm and 18mm might be of more interest, 6mm has a tad more scatter than the other two is what I can see, just as John pointed out in his earlier BCO review.

Can someone explain what light scattering is and the causecause of it. I assume it is something to do with the glass in the lens and this causes defraction of light particles! Just want clarification and also how does this manifest itself?

Oh aand under what circumstances is it most prevalent please.

Steve

Yong

A very good point, if I were to get them and that here is fairly easy as TS stock them among others, I would use them mainly on the LX and Mak with their never ending focal lengths, it would give very good cover on the planetary powers and 10mm and 18mm are the sort of numbers that would work well on these scopes. On my other scopes I have at the moment 10mm and 6mm are not really short enough for this work.

I find it interesting that the 10mm must be new and not just a rebrand where as the 6mm and 18mm have appeared elsewhere in different clothes or are they all new reworked designs?

John's work suggests this is the case.

Alan

Apparently Baader now own the original designs and detailed specifications of some Zeiss products and the Baader CO's are made to emulate a Zeiss eyepiece design.  I've never dismantled a BCO but I'd expect the optical design to follow the classic 3+1 abbe orthoscopic layout. The curves of some of the lens surfaces might have been tweaked here and there though.

Can someone explain what light scattering is and the causecause of it. I assume it is something to do with the glass in the lens and this causes defraction of light particles! Just want clarification and also how does this manifest itself?

Oh aand under what circumstances is it most prevalent please.

Steve

Steve,

As I understand it, scatter manifest itself as a white patch around a bright planet, typically Jupiter and Saturn, the more scatter, the bigger the white patch and more intensified. Scatter leads to lower constrast for planetary viewing.

Also, when viewing neighborhood of bright star(s), such as looking for Sirius pub, or E/F in trapesium, scatter level might determine if you can see the faint star(s) or not.

I find it interesting that the 10mm must be new and not just a rebrand where as the 6mm and 18mm have appeared elsewhere in different clothes or are they all new reworked designs?

John's work suggests this is the case.

Alan

Alan,

I agree with John, the volcano top of 10mm and 6mm BCO indicate some design change comparing to BGO, where the 10mm BCO seems to be a more successful one.

It's one of these "it all depends" questions I think Steve.

With my 12" dob I generally find that using enough magnfication to frame the galaxy so that it fills a decent chunk of the field of view is the most effective but the eyepiece that achieves this will vary as the angiular size of galaxies varies a lot. For M31 I find the 21mm Ethos (76x) delivers more contrast than the 31mm Ethos (51x) although the latter shows more of the galaxy. For galaxies such as M82 and M51 I find the 8mm Ethos (199x) very effective - it was great for observing the recent supernovae in those galaxies. I have used the 6mm Ethos on smaller galactic targets from time to time too and the 13mm Ethos is great for the intermediate sized targets. 

This is not really helping I guess other than demonstrating that you need a number of "tools" in your toolbox !

it helps loads it basicallys says ditch the DELOS & buy te ETHOS :D

Tele Vue have trusted me with the prototype 31mm Ethos. Only problem is that it's a 3" format eyepiece that weighs 4kg ! :shocked::wink:

it helps loads it basicallys says ditch the DELOS & buy te ETHOS :D

Not necessarily. If you are not an ultra wide junkie, like me, the Delos goes a little deeper and the 10mm Baader CO a touch deeper still. But I am an ultra wide junkie, so ........ :grin:

Tele Vue have trusted me with the prototype 31mm Ethos. Only problem is that it's a 3" format eyepiece that weighs 4kg ! :shocked::wink:

Erm? a don't suppose TV have given you permission to post a pic or two have they ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ....... it was worth a shot :D

Dan,

I can't agree with the dump the Delos buy the Ethos line. I have a very good selection of both and I know it is scope and target related but I prefer my Delos at some magnifications in the array of scopes I have. Much about X150 in the LX I go for Delos every time or the humble BGO/Hutech orthoscopic. It is simply horses for courses.

Alan

Dan,

I can't agree with the dump the Delos buy the Ethos line. I have a very good selection of both and I know it is scope and target related but I prefer my Delos at some magnifications in the array of scopes I have. Much about X150 in the LX I go for Delos every time or the humble BGO/Hutech orthoscopic. It is simply horses for courses.

Alan

it was simply a bit of humor Alan. i really like the Delos range just not wide evough for me :D

Archived