Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart & Soul - Halfway there (130pds)

Uranium235

Got a bit of a grump on at the moment becuase of all this cloud (and no chance of it going away anytime soon), so Ive decided to throw together five of the six panes ive already collected for this.

Ive already got a chunk of the Soul, but ive left it out so it doesnt look too unfinished (you can just see it popping out, bottom centre left). Its probably going to take another six hours to get it to where I want it - but at this time of year thats something easily achieveable in one night (if we get some clear stuff!!!..grrrr) :D

The finished article will probably have a different look to it, since I may have to balance out the differing brighness of each object (maybe a layer mask required). Im into uncharted territory in regard to mosaics, but its tunring out pretty well so far - even though I left myself with little room for error with one or two of the overlaps. One thing that surprised me is just how flat the sky isnt! Once you start to cover 4 or 5 degrees, your panes get rotated into all sorts of positions when you register them. I had to rotate them back  in a way that meant I wasnt chucking away too much FOV when cropping the panes prior to stitching them together.

6x900 (Ha), x5 panes, 2x2 bin

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6, MPCC MkIII

Resolution: 3.4" p/p

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

15475608637_3558a48624_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7476/15475608637_18616541c9_o.jpg

Coco, on 29 Oct 2014 - 9:40 PM, said:

Then you can go back and get all the rest of the colour data :D

Erm..... or maybe not... lol... :D

I'd recommend looking at the fullsize version, the preview version here doesnt quite do it justice.

Still mad to think that this telescope still cost me less than my coma corrector!

Erm..... or maybe not... lol... :D

I'd recommend looking at the fullsize version, the preview version here doesnt quite do it justice.

Still mad to think that this telescope still cost me less than my coma corrector!

Wow I didnt notice the big version on my tablet... geez its going to be a cracker!

Cheers guys :)

Im pinning my hopes on Friday being the only chance to take this further - getting more difficult now though being as the Moon is back, it might unbalance the background a little (the first strip was taken under a perfect sky, no moon).

Really crisp. Spot on.

Very true about field curvature. It seems that in PI you can register your panels to a map of the sky. Another way is to register them to a template, a widefield image of the same region upsized to the dimensions of your proposed final image.

Olly

Yep, the full-size version really shows the quality of this image - nobody handles stars better than you Rob! This perpetual cloud cover is really depressing, weeks of it now, and no signs of much improvement either in the near future. Hope you get some luck in your area tomorrow though.

Martin

Hello Dear Rob, how many planes are you planning?

There will be 10 in total, but I may add more subs for the ones covering the two nebulas (about 5-6 panes) - 90min per pane feels a bit light, another hour each would improve it further. But I may be waiting a while, tomorrow night is looking doubtful now :(

As others have said it has great definition and looks so clean....  I actually think it looks really great given the dramatic look of the cinema effect... it leads the eye from the left into the nebulosity on the right, love it!

Andy

There will be 10 in total, but I may add more subs for the ones covering the two nebulas (about 5-6 panes) - 90min per pane feels a bit light, another hour each would improve it further. But I may be waiting a while, tomorrow night is looking doubtful now :(

You could make a huge wallpaper for your living room :-)

You could make a huge wallpaper for your living room :-)

If it were unbinned it would be big enough. But binned, it would probably look best printed in A2 format - quite tempting to get a canvas done. But if I were to do that it needs to be completely spotless - which means more subs (it aways does!).

Tis excellent work sir. Full res is superb. Out of interest the 3 isolated small nebula areas just left of upper centre, are they part of the heart or some background nebula region of their own?

I was also taken by surprise by those odd few blobs to the left of the heart. Ive just looked them up and their designations are: Sh2-192, Sh2-194 and Sh2-196.

Well, the clear sky hasnt exactly appeared, quite a lot of high cloud so not worth setting up for imaging.

So what I did was to quickly set up the 80ED with a 2x barlow + 17mm Hyperion EP - and let my little four year old boy have his "first light ever" on the Moon. After a while he asked if we could get closer - so I doubled up on the barlow (x4) and used a 10mm EP - then moved the scope so it was pointing at the terminator. He was pretty much glued to the EP for the half hour we were out there! :)

Start em' young!

Archived