Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quite reQuarkable! ;-)

Stu

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's encouraging, hope it's right, have you contacted Daystar direct ?

Dave

No, just dealing through my retailer (Astrograph), who have been very good. Seem to have good information from Daystar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone measure one with a micrometer?, it would be interesting to see how much + the fitment is.  :smiley:

Just measured with my cheap digital calipers.

1.25 eyepiece measures 31.50mm  Quark measures 32.05mm.

Dave

It is quite surprising that they 'escaped' like that.

It still looks a little daunting to swap but I shall wait until I receive the parts with instructions before deciding what to do

This error is quite surprising as I wouldn't imagine they are producing huge volumes, a simple "Go and No-go" gauge would have prevented it from happening :shocked: 

Mind you during my many years as a quality manager I have found it is amazing how often the obvious is overlooked resulting in both financial and reputational costs.

On the plus side at least from what I have read at least Daystar are doing right by their customers :smiley: I am sure it is frustrating for all involved though.

I agree with Shane though and I would be more than happy to give a second opinion should anyone want to post their Quark to me.

Fairly frustrating attempt today in the 120ED. Was clear earlier, but by the time I could get outside there was hazy cloud at best, with patches of thicker stuff. I had a few goodish views but the contrast was cut back by the haze. Plenty of potential, loads of detail in the large AR, just not a wow because of the conditions.

5a0f3aa6806c33925de376d3077eced4.jpg

The Quark matches the Moonlite very nicely :-)

0117b5ed11483bd3fe85fe61612e751f.jpg

I think from what I've seen, the 32mm will be plenty in this scope, perhaps a 40 or the focal reducer may be an idea.

Stu

ps If you know how to humanely get rid of moles (ie move somewhere away from my garden), then please drop me a pm. It is starting to resemble a battlefield! :-(

An update to this, with information from Astrograph.

The incorrectly dimensioned 1.25" barrel was caused by a bent CNC tool.

Anyone with an affected unit can get a replacement part. The barrel just unscrews from the body of the Quark so it is user replaceable.

I should have a replacement waiting for me at home which was taken from units being returned to Daystar, others will have to come from the US.

I will post up some images tomorrow hopefully.

Stu

This is the barrel I have received, looks like a straightforward screw fit entirely separate from the internal gubbins.

I'm not going to try it tonight, too tired but will give it a go tomorrow.

1f89d2c175f7bba555fe324a88e0241c.jpg

Stu

The Opticstar F5.5 AR 90DS has an all metal focuser and the optics on it are better than an ST80 and EVO 120 IMO The 90S has an R&P so not sure on that one, these are both from the original range that opticstar sell.

Hi folks,

Long time no post. Sorry, I've been caught up doing other things, most particularly spending time with my now 11 month old little munchkin, Luca.

Wow, it looks as though the Quarks have gained some popularity since I was last on. Congrats on yours, Stu. Glad to hear that you appear to be impressed with it and that you now also seem to have the barrel situation sorted.

Whilst I haven't been overly active with the scopes at night of late, I've still bee sneaking a peak with the Quarks when I've had a chance. Good news is, after having them for a number of months now, I'm still mighty happy with them. I have it set up as we speak, actually. Here is a little shot of her in action at the moment. Hope to speak with you all soon.

Aaron

post-30253-0-59705200-1414274033_thumb.j

Welcome back Aaron, was wondering where you had got to!

Yep, very pleased with the Quark, although I still need another decent session with it without dodging clouds all the time. My first light was fabulous but conditions have been pretty rubbish since. It'll happen sooner or later.

Nice view you have there!! :-)

Thanks Stu, it's good to be back.

I'm sure you'll get to have plenty of decent sessions with your Quark. I must say, it certainly looks the business attached to your Skywatcher with Moonlight focusser. Looks like they were made for each other!

It's a beautiful morning here in sunny Sydney, so thought I would use some artistic license when taking that shot :)

Archived