Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quite reQuarkable! ;-)

Stu

My apologies for the tabloid headline, but I have just finally managed a first light with my Quark and it totally knocked my socks off (or it would have done if I'd been wearing any :p)

Having packed down from PSP expecting rain in the afternoon, I left in clear blue skies and sunshine!! Typical! I'm now back in Bakewell for the night and set up the scopes in the driveway to catch some late afternoon sunshine.

I used the TV85 to start, with the Herschel Wedge whilst the Quark warmed up. I powered the Quark from a Power Monkey 7000mAH battery pack, and it worked perfectly, only taking 8 or so minutes to go green.

That active region really is spectacular in white light, the biggest I've seen for a while. The seeing wasn't amazing, but still loads of detail visible during the steady spells.

So to the Quark. I took out the HW and popped in the 2" diagonal with UV/IR cut on the front, Quark and a 32mm TV Plossl, found the focus point and bang, what an amazing image. The first thing I saw was the lovely prominence on the Eastern limb (tired so I hope I've got that right). It looked totally 3D as it wrapped over the limb and onto the surface as a filament.

So, first question answered, does the Chromasphere Quark show the prominences well? You betcha!! There were plenty of others on show, including a lovely one extending quite a long way from the limb, plenty of detail visible.

Surface detail was remarkable too, granulation, the large active area which has just come into view and some lovely filaments. This was just a quick look in between some patchy cloud, and with a somewhat impatient 7 month old budding astronomer sitting in a pram next to me so please excuse the sketchy detail.

The TV85 showed a large part of the disk, over half at a guess but I may be over estimating that, will check again next time out.

I switched to the Tak FS-60C which I had bought with the aim of achieving full disk views. Straight away I would say that the views in this scope exceed the PST in every way. In both 32 and 25mm Plossl I was getting full disk, with the prominences clearly showing all around. The 32 was preferable I would say. There is more contrast, resolution and detail visible, plus far less of a sweet spot. The prominences are much more visible without being centralised.

I must say I'm delighted. These views were based on a very quick setup. The warm up time was hardly a problem as I got it started whilst I was setting up the tripod. I only used the Quark with the adjustment centralised, I have yet to experiment with different settings but even as it is, the features are right there for you, whereas the PST required tuning of the etalon to pull out the different features.

I will be quite happy taking just the 60 away with me, with Wedge and Quark the views will be more than enough to keep my interest. It all fits neatly in the case, and mounts on the Giro-WR/Induro tripod very well.

I can't wait to try it in the 120ED, should be incredible.

29990788e1aaecee8537afc14a3d7328.jpg

This was a picture from PSP with the Tak 76 and TV85 side by side, but I only managed a very hazy white light view then.

b4e8328a88cd3cac58fcc098dcb8bed6.jpg

Cheers

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like I am going to have to buy one Stu   :laugh:  I quite fancy the prom version.

Would the Quark work in a Lunt I wonder ! or would the front Etalon interrupt proceedings 

I think you should Shaun :-). Think carefully about the prominence version though, I don't know anyone who has one (possibly Aaron but he has been quiet for a while). Not sure if they would be disappointing on surface detail?

Brilliant post, gorgeous pictures and informative to boot! One of the best posts I've read in ages, so thanks Stu  :grin: I'm glad everything worked out well and hopefully sometime in 2015, I will have saved enough to get a Quark eyepiece with gear. I'm on the case, and hopefully within a month or so will have a TV 76 to begin the process :smiley:

As ever Stu fantastic detailed report and I wish I had got to look through it at PSP.

Agree through, tired is an understatement and can't believe you managed to get back to bakewell with the tent you'd put up in the car to keep dry with!

Well done on getting first light

Excellent report, got the first decent look through my Quark today and couldn't tear myself away, the prom's look great so not sure what the prom version brings to the party.

And I think everybody should have one Shaun :)

Dave

Great report Stu. Sounds mouthwatering. I have to admit to being tempted. especially as it will 'force' me to buy at least one more scope. possibly two............maybe an ED80............oh god........

It's tricky isn't it Shane. I think the ED80 would be a great partner for it. Don't want to throw a spanner in the works re the Lunt 50 though!

Refractors? Whatever next!!!!

If anything they were too bright, the spicule layer showed up well but the brightness of the disc surface swamped the surface details. I've been used to large PST mods which show prominences and surface detail exceptionally well, the chromosphere Quark gives very similar views. I would buy the chromosphere Quark if I was starting from scratch but it doesn't add anything to what I already have, I can get superb full disc and high power images from the same 120mm+ telescope. My standard PST is good enough for grab and go operation. :smiley:

It sounds like I am going to have to buy one Stu :laugh: I quite fancy the prom version.

Would the Quark work in a Lunt I wonder ! or would the front Etalon interrupt proceedings

This post implies that it would work..... But I have no experience or knowledge about it so more research needed I think.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/227844-Lunt-DS-60-%2B-First-Quark-test-shot

Yes Stu :smiley: That answers that little question, the proms are great in the Lunt as is - Chromosphere it is then.

I wonder how long one will take to get here. What make of battery packs do you all have ?

Yes Stu :smiley: That answers that little question, the proms are great in the Lunt as is - Chromosphere it is then.

I wonder how long one will take to get here. What make of battery packs do you all have ?

I'm sure they are on back order but hopefully the QA problems are sorted so they will be catching up with production now.

Yesterday I just used something I had already which is a 7000mAH Power Monkey which charges from the mains or from a solar panel. It has a 2.1A output for iPad charging and that worked very well. I guess I was running it for 45 mins and it was still showing full at the end.

I ordered one of these recently after Nick (Spaceboy) suggested it. Still waiting delivery but should last all day.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261588029479

Great report. More and more tempted myself. I can see me getting a Quark in the ST80, and putting it in tandem with the 80mm APM with Herschel wedge.

That would be a great combination Michael. The ST80 should give nice resolution with the Quark. Sure the Mini Giro will take both too, with a extra clamp

Stu

Interesting report Stu as are the comments from others in the thread :smiley:

If, (a big if at the moment !) I was to weaken my resolve and go for one of these. almost certainly the Chromosphere version, I assume it would work OK with either my ED120 F/7.5 or ED102 F/6.5 refractors but which would be best do you think ?

Interesting report Stu as are the comments from others in the thread :smiley:

If, (a big if at the moment !) I was to weaken my resolve and go for one of these. almost certainly the Chromosphere version, I assume it would work OK with either my ED120 F/7.5 or ED102 F/6.5 refractors but which would be best do you think ?

Well I should have it at SGL10 John if you hang on that long.

They are supposed to work best at between f27 and f32, which with the x4.2 Barlow works out at f6.5 to 7.5.

I reckon both would be fine, it will come down to seeing conditions vs resolution and magnification I reckon. Worth using both in summary

Thanks Stu.

I have a set of TV plossls now so thats the eyepieces catered for I guess. I could always consider getting a focal reducer for the ED102 to get closer to full disk views.

I'll probably wait to see how these settle down over the next few months before deciding anything.

The focal reducer must be behind the quark, both to prevent shattering under heat stress and (if a front-mounted ERF is used) due to the fact that the telecentric lens in the Quark is not optimal for Petzval and similar objective/reducer configurations. What I find curious is the fact that the tele-centric lens in the quark would be at odds with wide-angle EP designs, because the PowerMates use the tele-centric design to prevent all sorts of problems barlows can produce with SWU and UWA designs. If I get a Quark, I will first get a 0.5x focal reducer to screw into the cemara nose piece or EP, and try the MV 24 on its own; check out how this works, and only if this doe snot will I invest in Plossls. I would not buy them at first, but just ask my colleague who bought my 26 and 36mm Plossls (Vixen) if I could test them. BTW, I cannot imagine that orthos would not work. A 24 or 25mm ortho might be just the ticket.

The focal reducer must be behind the quark, both to prevent shattering under heat stress and (if a front-mounted ERF is used) due to the fact that the telecentric lens in the Quark is not optimal for Petzval and similar objective/reducer configurations. What I find curious is the fact that the tele-centric lens in the quark would be at odds with wide-angle EP designs, because the PowerMates use the tele-centric design to prevent all sorts of problems barlows can produce with SWU and UWA designs. If I get a Quark, I will first get a 0.5x focal reducer to screw into the cemara nose piece or EP, and try the MV 24 on its own; check out how this works, and only if this doe snot will I invest in Plossls. I would not buy them at first, but just ask my colleague who bought my 26 and 36mm Plossls (Vixen) if I could test them. BTW, I cannot imagine that orthos would not work. A 24 or 25mm ortho might be just the ticket.

The Daystar site and instructions are quite clear that 'fast' eyepiece designs do not work well with the quark, and specifically recommend TV Plossls or even some older Kellner designs. I have a 24mm Panoptic I can try alongside the 32 Plossl so will let you know how they compare.

I may try a focal reducer behind the quark but need to buy a 1.25" version. The aim seems to be to get the light path as parallel as possible through the etalon, hence the long focal ratios required and the inclusion of the x4.3 ( or 4.2?) EDIT x4.2 Barlow. Any reducing should be done after the quark otherwise the etalon won't perform correctly (aswell as heating issues already mentioned)

Stu

Great write up, Stu, delighted your socks have been blown off :D

Shaun I would also say think carefully before getting the Prom version. If you far prefer proms or want to image proms mostly then than one makes sense but proms still look fab with the Chromosphere and the disc detail has more contrast, a little bit like single stack Lunt 60 versus double stack, only you don't have to pay the (lot) extra :D

Archived