Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Huge naked eye sunspot

FenlandPaul

Just has first light with my new Baader film filter for my Revelation 20x80s. When I tested the film before putting it on the bins I saw an enormous naked eye spot towards the left of the disc. I assumed at first it was an imperfection in the film, but then I realised it was a monster! Through the bins it looked awesome. If you get a clear spell this afternoon, well worth a look! I think some folk on here have imaged it in the Imaging / Solar section.

And a fantastic initiation for my new filter. Very chuffed.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caught sight of it with the 80mm and wedge this morning.... So many skiddy clouds it was not worth trying to image. Lots of little sub spot all about... Going to interesting to see how it develops as it goes around.

Peter

Just grabbed 5 minutes with the bins this lunchtime and the Monster is coming into view nicely. It's starting to look a little like M51, the Whirlpool, with a small satellite spot off to the upper right. Lovely.

Using  my new bino mount and  holding a piece of paper In one hand and a Nixon Coolpix in the other, I attained some reasonable shots through the cloud:10153272_290448254486708_719913490113936
Don't think the camera is good enough to be able to pick up the sunspots clearly though. They were in focus on the paper. It did better with a little cloud cover:

1924391_290448234486710_1128772680124798

Not had a chance to point the scope at it but had a good look with bino's at lunch and it's looking really good. Hopefully the wind will die down a bit and the clouds go away tomorrow.

Not had a chance to point the scope at it but had a good look with bino's at lunch and it's looking really good. Hopefully the wind will die down a bit and the clouds go away tomorrow.

Did you get a chance to look, D4N? It was beautifully clear with me for most of the day, but unfortunately was stuck in meetings all day!

Archived