Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Paramount MX+ Problems

Liquid360

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky & Telescope said it best...

"The folks at Software Bisque have spent years perfect- ing robotic observing with their various programs and telescope mounts. The Paramount MX currently stands

at the pinnacle of the company’s success. Whether your interest is robotic gathering of research data or pretty astronomical images, and whether your telescope is in your backyard or on another continent, the MX can do it. And even if you’re “old school” like me and enjoy being with your equipment while observing, the MX offers an experience that won’t soon be forgotten. Please pardon the pun, but the MX is an incredible gem. ✦"

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/Paramount+MX+2012+LR+copy.pdf

Greetings

the situation has been resolved to the satisfaction of the customer and that is the only issue of this thread the supplier resolved the problem in short order.

Yes there was a problem but it was addressed quickly, I understand that it did not break but just did not boot up by my definition that is a fault that was missed by quality control.

can anyone name a product that is perfect every time it leaves the point of creation,I even believe that a house is never perfect first time, and the cost of that house is a little more than a mount.

if I had the funds I would not hesitate in buying this mount!

Andy

live and let live

Greetings

the situation has been resolved to the satisfaction of the customer and that is the only issue of this thread the supplier resolved the problem in short order.

Yes there was a problem but it was addressed quickly, I understand that it did not break but just did not boot up by my definition that is a fault that was missed by quality control.

can anyone name a product that is perfect every time it leaves the point of creation,I even believe that a house is never perfect first time, and the cost of that house is a little more than a mount.

if I had the funds I would not hesitate in buying this mount!

Andy

live and let live

I believe it no longer became the only issue when people began singing the praises of a dead (or at the very least crippled) mount. I don't believe there have been any personal attacks and members are expressing their opinions in a civil manner which is only right. I agree that there are very few if any products with a 100% success rate, but when a company demands monies to rectify their mistakes and are praised for their brilliant customer service then I think I've a right to question it. Did they do a turn-around after realising the issue was on an astronomy forum? I don't know. 

When someone says that they are Happy because it took them 2 months to get working correctly at their own (time) expence then I think I've a right to question this also.

I did not say that I would not be happy to own this mount. I will however say that if it didn't work out of the box, I'd be less than pleased

Greetings

Reputation is everything in todays world of value for money buying any product is like getting married the relationship last a lifetime be it limited by expectation or material but your partner is the product creator,

most products are guaranteed for 12 months but often longer a good partner will support longer be there if needed and listen when required this interaction helps resolve and improve for both.

this is a big part of the decision to buy, we all have different criteria by which we make this decision but it's nice to be able to fall back on reputation what ever the issue.

a good outcome and free speech prevails for all

Andy

Sky & Telescope said it best...

"The folks at Software Bisque have spent years perfect- ing robotic observing with their various programs and telescope mounts. The Paramount MX currently stands

at the pinnacle of the company’s success. Whether your interest is robotic gathering of research data or pretty astronomical images, and whether your telescope is in your backyard or on another continent, the MX can do it. And even if you’re “old school” like me and enjoy being with your equipment while observing, the MX offers an experience that won’t soon be forgotten. Please pardon the pun, but the MX is an incredible gem. ✦"

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/Paramount+MX+2012+LR+copy.pdf

Sky and Telescope. Remind me, where's that published?

How an individual feels about the service they receive is up to them, but when that service is posted on the net surely those reading it have the right to feel as they wish.

My own view is that sending the purchaser the fixed parts without question in double quick time is absolutely fine. Mistakes are made, we are all human, but the original service situation was well out of order.

Olly

My original post was just for seeking help. And now I just wanted, for any future reference to this thread, to denote that I had a problem. They fixed the problems to my satisfaction. I'm a happy Bisque customer... Nay, a fan [emoji6]

I want to clarify for the record that I did not have 2 entire months of issues with the mount. Some of the issues were operator error which can reasonably be expected with a product of this pedigree & complexity of software. Yes- I had a few niggles with internal cabling issues but these have now happily been resolved. If I was a knowledgeable amateur astronomer then you might question why I enjoyed things being broken but in my case it has been a learning journey so I'm content with having a working mount & a steady increase in knowledge so ultimately I'm happy.

Clear skies to you all. 

IMHO I think the whole point is :-

1. If you pay for anything you have the right to expect it to work first time.

2. Sometimes things don't work on arrival and if so one has the right to expect great customer service comes into play at no extra cost to you the buyer.

3. The number of problems with a particle product,especially over a long period, does indicate something is wrong with the product or quality control . Initial problems with new products are to be expected but on going problems is not a good sign.

4 The amount of money you paid has nothing to do with receiving a working product. They should , in a ideal world, all work.

5. Being happy about customer service or the product is a personal thing but  information about the products problems or bad customer service is global issue and if shared can be acted upon if one see's fit and again is a personal action.

But don't take things personal when others don't agree and do things that you won't do - I never do when my wife say's I am wrong  :evil:

I think what's good is that the owners are now happy and that they have detailed accurately their experiences with the product and services. None of the premium mounts seems to be immune from this, and I do mean none, including 10 Micron where I know, personally, of three returns. The main thing is to have the information out there so individuals can react as they wish.

I used to ride BMW motocycles which were very expensive, generally very reliable but certainly not perfect. For some the lack of perfection, at the considerable price, was an affront and they wouldn't consider them. For me, these bikes were as good as it got and, while perfection would have been nice, I could live with the shortcomings. There's no right or wrong here. We react as we do and we're all different.

Out of interest, why is it so difficult to produce almost perfectly QC checked mounts? The extreme precision we demand? The high IT dependency? Something else?

Olly

The part arrives this morning and I very much look forward to putting this in my rear view. I look forward to posting questions and images!!

I'll certainly be more careful with my posting in the future.

I'll leave this thread behind now. Thanks for an..... interesting time....? [emoji6]

I'll actually be attending a Bisque hosted workshop next month which I'm very much looking forward to. An entire day with the Bisque people teaching us how to use our mounts! Should be awesome!!!

Out of interest, why is it so difficult to produce almost perfectly QC checked mounts? The extreme precision we demand? The high IT dependency? Something else?

Olly

Only takes one person to be in Friday afternoon mode, have a deadline, and a faulty piece of gear appears. One of the drawbacks the weekend off working concept "Has to be out on Friday" which is a deadline made by the fact the day starts with an F.

I read alot of forums and it seems high end mounts have a higher failure rate than for example a Heq5. Mass produced chinese stuff works?

Possible, or it might be that people complain more loudly when an expensive mount has problems. Besides, the more expensive the mount, the higher the expectations

I read alot of forums and it seems high end mounts have a higher failure rate than for example a Heq5. Mass produced chinese stuff works?

I dont think they have a higher faliure rate, its probably down to quantity in the field and expectations, a faulty EQ6 with say bendy bolts is a not uncommon issue for example, to the point where there are upgrades available to fix it before you even use it, this would only work where there are lots of mounts in the market and be a common enough issue to retail a product to pre-emptivley fix it. Id go as far to say that the bendy bolt issue is so common that its gone beyond been an issue anymore, just Par for the Course.

It would be interesting to see how many various mounts are in the UK in active use, and then see what the failure rate is to draw a comparision, 1) I doubt the data even exisists and 2) I doubt the manufacturers would release it if it did any way.

No single retailer in the UK covers all the options out there, so they cant really give a factual statement and can only go by what they sell.

Archived