NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Paramount MX+ Problems

Liquid360

My new PMX is all hooked up but nothing is turning on. It's obviously getting power but no lights, no sounds, nothing. I'll call Bisque this morning obviously, but thought I'd post here in the meantime. Thoughts? All cables are firmly attached, light on on the transformer box.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reread and i think the 12v and 5v are ports (output)  Doh......... :shocked:

Found this now i have had a cuppa tea...:)

Power supply included. Paramount MX power supply specifications: Max Power Output: 80W, Input: 100-240VAC ~47-63 Hz 1.9A, Output: 48V 1.66A max.

I've followed instructions and removed the electronics box to be sent back. They require a $300 deposit to send back a new one. I do completely understand the reasons for this, but it's a tad tough to swallow after having spent a total, for mount/tripod/battery, of $12,000USD. It's a tremendous amount of money, but it's a truly stunning piece of hardware and undoubtably very expensive to produce/engineer. That said, for that kinda money in the current economic climate, I'd rather them just overnight me a replacement and trust me a bit. It's one of those things that, while I understand the economics and intellectually understand the logic, it still feels kinda bad.

Prior to actually seeing this object first hand, I had a tough time understanding the price of admission, but trust me when I say that once you handle it you understand the price.

If it worked I'd be the happiest customer that ever there were. It's a sad sight indeed to see it just sitting with its guts exposed. I hope to see this moment in my rear view ASAP.

post-22697-141261679432_thumb.jpg

I understand your frustrations. I am a proud owner of a Paramount MX+- you can find my posts on the Bisque forums as mashelton. You will see I had my fair amount of problems with the new mount. I now have these issues resolved. One very good piece of advice when you get your mount functional is to run the essential cables through the mount. I did not do this until Sunday & had a cable tangle which resulted in damage to 2K worth of CCD camera & a full set of cables chewed to pieces as the mount slewed. I have now done the "cabling" job properly (I hope) so there are no dangling cables. Don't hesitate to send me a PM with any questions when you get the mount up & running. It is a long learning curve but well worth the journey as the mount accuracy is amazing.

Thanks so much!!! I have no doubt you'll be hearing from me! As I said, despite my problems, I am in awe of this piece of hardware... the most beautiful piece of machinery I've ever seen bar none. Can't wait to grow into the thing! I sincerely hope this learning experience doesn't cost me as it had you! To remain loyal after that 2k nightmare is a testament to the brothers bisque. I've purchased my dream setup all at once, the mount/tripod/etc, an fsq106, an SV90, a QSI 683, and every extra piece offered. I'm so anxious to get to work I can hardly stand it!

Again, thanks for your response!!!!

Nate

I understand your frustrations. I am a proud owner of a Paramount MX+- you can find my posts on the Bisque forums as mashelton. You will see I had my fair amount of problems with the new mount. I now have these issues resolved. One very good piece of advice when you get your mount functional is to run the essential cables through the mount. I did not do this until Sunday & had a cable tangle which resulted in damage to 2K worth of CCD camera & a full set of cables chewed to pieces as the mount slewed. I have now done the "cabling" job properly (I hope) so there are no dangling cables. Don't hesitate to send me a PM with any questions when you get the mount up & running. It is a long learning curve but well worth the journey as the mount accuracy is amazing.

As I've said before on here, I get to meet lots of mounts and lots of owners and no single make has got a clean slate. They can all go wrong or be effectively dead on arrival. This shouldn't happen.

If you bought this mount new I am staggered that Bisque have the nerve to start calling the tune to you regarding deposits etc. I don't see the logic. I see a hard nosed attitude and a refusal to grovel when grovelling is absolutely the only option they have.  What this says to me, though this is surmise, is that it isn't a rare occurrence. If it were I think they'd just send you to spare out immediately and trust you to return the original. For a one-off they'd take the risk. 

Olly

I'm with Olly on this one, their attitude is quite unacceptable. It's probably different in the States, but over here we have the Sale of Goods Act. Any company that tried to pull a stunt like that could (And should) be hauled through the courts.

We're getting into small car territory with prices like these. When you buy a car, it should just start, and if it doesn't the manufacturer should sort it PDQ without charging you.

Another reason to strike Paramount off my list for when I buy my serious mount. Mesu, 10 Micron, Avalon but not Paramount or ASA.

Greetings

I hope this is resolved very quickly but you have a case of goods being sold defective and not fit for purpose , you should not be liable for any costs for defective equipment check the warranty statement about what is covered !

It would be worth a quick look at your consumer rights with regard to this situation.

you are effectively paying for sorting their problems, I would accompany the mount with a strongly worded letter of dissatisfaction with what should have been an experience of joy not disappointment and possibly their lack of quality control!

The bottom line you should not be liable for any costs to rectify a problem that is clearly not yours!

don't roll over and take it !

Andy

Just to update... I received an email just now that they are in fact overnighting me a new board without my needing to ask that they do it with no mention of the deposit.

They have stepped up as I'd hoped they would.

Whew!! I have so much respect for what they've built that i REALLY did not want to have that tainted. There will always be issues, even with a Rolls Royce, but it how a company stands behind their product that matters and sets tone.

Now I can't wait to take this beautiful thing out for first light!!

I'm just a wee bit stunned by this thread. a kings randsom has been spent and the thing don't work but you're still calling it a thing of beauty yet folk spend a grand on an neq6 and scream blumming murder that the bolts are bendy when they knew they would be before even buying the the thing? 

Go figure

I'd be thinking the same thing, but when you handle this mount you can't deny its a stunning piece of work. Ever single bit is a beautiful piece of tooled metal, no plastic. The fact that I don't feel at all ripped off is a testament. If I felt ripped off I'd return it and raise holy hell. It's as much art as engineering.

I'd be thinking the same thing, but when you handle this mount you can't deny its a stunning piece of work. Ever single bit is a beautiful piece of tooled metal, no plastic. The fact that I don't feel at all ripped off is a testament. If I felt ripped off I'd return it and raise holy hell. It's as much art as engineering.

This is exaclty my point. $12000 dwn on an until proven otherwise, non functioning mount and you're singing it's praises. give me functioning over pretty any day of the week :)

I'm glad that my mount broke & it took me 2 months to get everything working the way it is now. Do you think I'm mad?- let me explain. When things are not working as expected or broken this mount is designed to be field fixed & when you "field fix" you get to know the product intimately. I delved into the electronics box, the motor & gear assemblies and the intricacies of the software interface & I'm richer & more knowledgeable for that experience. I learnt all these lessons myself with the help of the Bisque family & I don't blame them in the slightest for the issues I had. I have had expensive motor cars which should have been perfect but alas life comes with shades of grey. I promise that Bisque will deliver, you will be richer for the experience & have a stunning & beautiful mount.  

Some people are content getting from point A to point B in a Chevy while others prefer a Ferrari. How tiresome would the world be without such choices? There will ALWAYS be be mechanical or technically issues with any scientific instrument or anything made by man. As they say, i don't hold mistakes against you, but I do require you take care of them. They've done that as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather drive a chevy than push a ferrari. If I want to know my car, mount, house intemately, I'll build it myself. I don't need someone to sell me a dud to do it.

One also has to wonder why the quick change of heart shortly after their service was slated in this thread? Or am I being sceptical?

Archived