Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobfest II - Off the grid camping in brecon

Daniel-K

i'll let steve explain but this was....eventful :rolleyes:

the highlight of the week end was meeting Alan and Simon and getting a look through the 22" they have been working hard and I must say the craftsmanship of the scope is truly excellent. The views where stunning NGC891 was amazing in Si's 10mm Ethos. with the galaxy stretching nearly the whole fov and the dark dust lane through the centre of the galaxy was breath taking. should not have looked through the 21E!!

M27- Simon was using his lumicom OIII and for me this blew me off my feet seeing the outer shell was a first and a stunning sight.

sadly we had some patchy cloud so only had around 2 hours of clear sky but  being able to have a look through a number of scopes was great.

Alans homemade 14" gave some impressive views of m82 and ngc891.For a homemade scope this is very impressive, just wish had more time to look through it.

it was nice to meet to extremely nice and down to earth chaps with a similar passion and enthusiasm for astronomy .Hopefully they weren't scared away by the terrible 5 and would meet up with us again.

anyway im a little traumatised by the midiges and getting stung by a wasp! but waking up this morning to the view from my tent made it worth while. enjoy the pics and im sure steve and cal will be adding to this :)

post-6284-0-12598300-1411917767_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-35031100-1411917783_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-87122200-1411917800_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-34068000-1411917823_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-41312100-1411917850_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-58539700-1411917880_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-10562200-1411917911_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-12296600-1411917964_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-00297100-1411917986_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-17951700-1411918003_thumb.jp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great report Dan and it was cracking to meet you all!

Alan and I had a brilliant time and would love to go back if you'd have us.

The sky was amazing during the clear bits, soo dark, although I hear the llyn peninsula is darker, lol!

The highlight for me was when you showed me that star cluster in m31, incredible size and unbelievable we could see it from a different Galaxy!!!

We went round the corner from the hostel on the way home and found this

eb1048f60f08ebb768dfdd5234080bcf_zps99eb

Love to go back and see the Milky Way reflecting off this!

It was great to meet you all and sooo good we had some clear sky Friday. It was tremendous to look through some bigger apertures so I can't wait for my new scope to arrive. Saturday was looking dodgy all day so had a great chat around a camp fire with Simon and Alan.

The Veil in Simons 22" was very special, I don't think I'll ever see one like that again. Thanks Faulksy for organising it, as well as great skies the scenery is stunning.

It was great to meet you all and sooo good we had some clear sky Friday. It was tremendous to look through some bigger apertures so I can't wait for my new scope to arrive. Saturday was looking dodgy all day so had a great chat around a camp fire with Simon and Alan.

The Veil in Simons 22" was very special, I don't think I'll ever see one like that again. Thanks Faulksy for organising it, as well as great skies the scenery is stunning.

had a email from michael on the 25th saying he's started my scope so when mines done i think yours will be next :) 

It was great as all said and really nice to meet scooot harv and Simon and the master wood worker Alan. We seen the same lake Simon on our lost travels and there was a good spot for all tents u9utuqa2.jpg2eqy4a3y.jpg

sent from my fone using fingers

Was fantastic , never seen the Milky Way like that and later shining behind thin cloud cover! Seeing 80% of M51 when the conditions weren't that great and the 3D veil in Simons are highlights the midges at the hostel were not!!!

Does look good doesn't it Mike, mind, don't want to loose your footing in the dark up there!!

Was fantastic , never seen the Milky Way like that and later shining behind thin cloud cover! Seeing 80% of M51 when the conditions weren't that great and the 3D veil in Simons are highlights the midges at the hostel were not!!!

Despite several goes, I never got a look through your scope Calv.

Every time I came over the clouds rolled in. Hopefully try again next time!

The midges were not too bad after Friday, I think they were filled up on Dan!

Calv, spot on mate. The Milky Way shining through the clouds is the sight that sticks with me most. Awesome. I have seen the MW as a beautiful bright grainy full sky band, but here the grainy band became a billowing almost cloudy band in the clear skies.

We thought it might be Mike that would need the tow out!!

the last time the reading was done there it was around 22.6

Must have been under cloudy sky or the meter was faulty. Best observatories in the world don't get above 22. And sky quality is about the view down to horizon, not just zenith. i'm sure it's a great dark site, but important to be realistic. Our dark sky assessments can be a bit like anglers' estimates about their catch....

Must have been under cloudy sky or the meter was faulty. Best observatories in the world don't get above 22. And sky quality is about the view down to horizon, not just zenith. i'm sure it's a great dark site, but important to be realistic. Our dark sky assessments can be a bit like anglers' estimates about their catch....

galloway says 23.6?http://www.visitscotland.com/download/dark-sky-park-pdf

Archived