Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Too Many Stars ?

For the past couple of months I've been learning my constellations and using bins to find M31 and the ring neb. It's taken me weeks to get accustomed to the areas to look for these items. I decided I was ready for the big stuff and thought it was going to be easy to revisit them with my new toy. Last night I took my 8 inch Dob outside (only had it delivered 30 hours earlier). Set up 25mm EP lined up vega and bang. Never seen so many stars in my life!. Totally swamped so it threw me 10 left. After 3 hours never managed to find M31 or the Ring Neb which wasn't for the want of trying. So many stars up their I don't even want to think about putting my Panaview 32mm in the focuser. Any suggestions members ?

Last night I took my 8 inch Dob outside (only had it delivered 30 hours earlier). Set up 25mm EP lined up vega and bang. Never seen so many stars in my life!. Totally swamped so it threw me 10 left. After 3 hours never managed to find M31 or the Ring Neb which wasn't for the want of trying. So many stars up their I don't even want to think about putting my Panaview 32mm in the focuser. Any suggestions members ?

You kind of get used to it, I try to ignore some of the really faint ones.  Use the basic star field shapes of the brightest stars of the constellation (ie 1st 2nd 3rd 4th & 5th magnitude) to guide you to the rough area with the finderscope (use you binos too to plan the star hops if needed). 

Funnily enough you say you don't want to think about using the 32mm panaview but that could be the best advice to give you.  You will lower the magnification of your scope, widen the field of view and have more chance of seeing your target in the field, you can then center the target in the 32mm and then carefully swap back to the 25mm without knocking the scope off, or taking long enough for it to drift out of the view.  You will then have saved lots of 'needle in a haystack scanning'.      

.......Nice scope, good decision!

Use all your eyepieces, starting with the widest, until you get the image you like, ie fills the frame, although M31 won't fill your eyepiece, unless you go to a dark site and view??? Then you'll be blown away! My 'Super 25mm wasn't wide enough last time I looked, so I bought the panaview for that reason.
Try this link for locating M31. Its really easy. Just a touch above Mirach?  Once you find it, you will never forget where it is.
A telrad is a good trick, and not too expensive, although I don't have mine now ( might get another one?) but when using the 9x50 finder, view with both eyes open. Rotate the Dob to a point on the horizon beneath your target, then slowly raise the dob into position. Using both eyes, the target object eventually aligns/overlaps when sighted and on target, then back into the eyepiece, to view in all its glory.

I ended up getting a triple mount for finderscopes, I have a red dot finder on one side and a right angle finder on the other. I use the ral to get the scope close, the raft to fine tune and then there's usually not too much problem when I get to look through the eyepiece. Takes a bit of getting used to but good fun.

Success at last. Chuffed to bits getting my first light with the Dob last night. Changed tactics and followed advice of members.

Set up my Telrad on 4 inch riser for the first time. In the words of the famous TV celeb SIMPLES.

Went straight to the Ring Neb. This has given me the boost and confidence telling me I made the right decision to take up astronomy.

I Love It.

Thank you all for your support Now does anyone know what we do to ensure we keep the clouds away !!

A combination of finders? No Telrad here, but certainly find the "Baader Skysurfer V" (RDF) very useful.

Once centered therein, with ADDED accurately aligned 9x50 finder, I can go directly to high-ish mags. :)

Currently working on VIDEO finders. With an EQ-mounted Newt, my first problem is to FIND the finder? :D

Budget CCTV mini-cams, cheap mini-screens for car-reversing etc., not such a daft idea I'm finding (sic)!

The following link will take one to the sky-charts by Wil Tirion. These are quite detailed and should help in locating/sorting objects of interest and the surrounding star-fields:

http://www.jimscosmos.com/star-charts/tirion-charts/

They are on Adobe in pdf. format. The rest of this site is great, too!

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Success at last. Chuffed to bits getting my first light with the Dob last night. Changed tactics and followed advice of members.

Set up my Telrad on 4 inch riser for the first time. In the words of the famous TV celeb SIMPLES.

Went straight to the Ring Neb. This has given me the boost and confidence telling me I made the right decision to take up astronomy.

I Love It.

Thank you all for your support Now does anyone know what we do to ensure we keep the clouds away !!

Well it seems I am on a roll. Went back last night to have a second go at the Ring Neb to prove it wasn't a flook and found her almost straight away. Really pleased. While I was in the vicinity had a go at M13. Managed to get that one in with my 25 mm EP. I was unable for some reason to get it again using my Barlow with the 25mm. So put my Williams 6mm and was amazed at the clarity.

Well it seems I am on a roll. Went back last night to have a second go at the Ring Neb to prove it wasn't a flook and found her almost straight away. Really pleased. While I was in the vicinity had a go at M13. Managed to get that one in with my 25 mm EP. I was unable for some reason to get it again using my Barlow with the 25mm. So put my Williams 6mm and was amazed at the clarity.

I nearly always find that once I have found an object it is easier subsequently.

Archived