Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My New Grab-n-Go Set-up

I'm off to the Caribbean soon so have put together a nice little Grab-n-Go package that can be easily transported on the flight.

The flight case, which turns into a trolley,  cost me less than £40 and is a perfect fit for the C6 SCT. There is enough spare room to accomodate half a dozen Plossl EPs and the diagonal once I decide what I am taking. The case + foam + OTA + EPs/diagonal will weight around 9kg.

The AstroMaster Alt-Az Tripod collapses down to 24" long and weighs around 4kg so will easily fit in a suitcase along with any other bits and bobs I decide to take.

post-33858-0-76952800-1409511244.jpg

post-33858-0-34526300-1409511263.jpg

post-33858-0-75314000-1409511261.jpg

post-33858-0-63733400-1409511260.jpg

:cool:

That is awesome!

Have you given it a test run? I assume you have to work to keep stuff centered in view.

I've only just received the OTA today so just had a quick glance at the Moon in white light and am very pleased. Can't wait for it to get dark!

My Ethos 13mm frames the moon with plenty to spare around the edge so shouldn't be too much work provided I don't go too high on the magnification.

That's one heck of a grab and go :-)

What size is the case? I assume small enough for carry on baggage??

Should be amazing!

The case is 440mm x 300mm x 220mm so is a nice size for carry on. It's this one, which doesn't come with foam so I bought that separately.

Excellent telescope, good luck with the mount.  :smiley:

I realise that I am pushing things a bit with this tripod but when the scope is at home it will be on the EQ5 :wink:

The Astromaster is really just for practicality when flying and a way of avoiding carrying too much weight.

I realise that I am pushing things a bit with this tripod but when the scope is at home it will be on the EQ5 :wink:

The Astromaster is really just for practicality when flying and a way of avoiding carrying too much weight.

Perhaps a mini giro on a decent tripod would work?

Perhaps a mini giro on a decent tripod would work?

I might get there eventually but have the fallback that I have a suitcase that will take the EQ5 if the tripod doesn't cut it. But that would be stretching the truth about it being grab-n-go!

I don't think the tripod will be the problem, it's more likely to be the weight of the OTA over the pivot making it difficult to point accurately and hold position much above the horizontal. I would recommend you give it a good try before you leave.  :smiley:

Hi Derek,

I keep my C6 stored in the same case... don't think you will get away with it as "carry on" though!

Airports and airlines are again tightening up as to what constitutes as "carry on". I have to plead to the check-in agents at LHR & LGW that optical equipment does not bounce very well or being squashed when placed inside an aircraft container.

Archived