reviews of Sky-watcher Sky-liner 200P

malwood9

Hi everybody, I'm trying to get honest reviews of the above telescope. Up to now I've just had a starter newtonian but I'm in the process of looking for a new scope and hope someone out there has one and can tell me about it. Many thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can tell you that it's the UK's best selling scope and for good reason. Great amount of aperture for the price, not so big that setting up or transporting it to a dark site is a problem and the general build quality is pretty good too. Dobsonian type scopes (newtonian scope on a dobsonian 'alt-azimuth' base) will always afford you the best value for money as nearly all of it has been devoted to the mirror instead of goto or special glass and coatings that you can find with refracting telescopes. Neing a newtonian scope you can always put some rings around its body and transfer it onto an equatorial type mount if tracking or goto is later required, though it can place the focuser in some interesting positions. 

Overall there is no one perfect scope as it very much depends on what you intend to do with it. If you want to observe solar system objects (planets/moon) then maybe a more expensive schmidt cassegrain scope is a better choice given that it will be big on magnification but has a limited field of view due too its long focal length. Newtonian type scopes are especially great on deep sky object (DSO's) as they are able to collect sufficient faint light to reveal structural details that make observing so worthwhile and are modestly priced. Refractors provide probably the best contrast due to their coatings and great on planets and brighter DSO's and of course their size and focal lengths lend themselves to the dark art of astrophotograpy but only when attached to an accurate equatorial mount. The other big consideration of course is cost and is why the 200P is probably the ideal choice for those wishing the explore the cosmos at a more serious level. The thing to remember too is that due to its popularity, the 200P will also command a good resale price should you decide to change your viewing habits (type of scope) or wish to upgrade to a bigger reflecting scope in order to view even more detail (...none to many of us 'sufferers' as aperture fever! :grin:) I am sure others may have there own preference to recommend to you but you are not going to go wrong with the Skyliner.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Hello and welcome to the SGL. This is the telescope which I have. I have been using it since May and , skies allowing, I have been amazed and what it can reveal. It is simple to use and set up, though I have found it not so portable. I found it very difficult to use the straight through finder scope supplied and replaced it with a RACI. I have also replaced the eyepieces supplied, but that was a personal choice and those which came with the scope are more than usable.

As for reviews, there are a few " first light " reports on this site which I found most useful and I think there is a review article on "The Sky At  Night " web site

Hope this is of help

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  I have the 200P Dobsonian, well pleased it with & would agree with laudropb. I have a RACI too. The scope is a bit heavy for me , hubby would normally set it up, although I have carried the base - just about.  If you type in 200P into the search at the top right and click on forums, you will get a wealth of knowledge from previous postings. It took me three months to finally make this choice & I haven't regretted it.  Good luck.

It's an absolutly fantasic scope.

Great optics, easy to collimate at F5.

You will need a coma corrector though.

It gives bright high contrast views of all objects.

The standard 25mm eyepiec is acceptable but the 10mm is not.

I would get the BST ED 10mm to replace the skywatcher 10mm.

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

I have the 200p on an EQ5, it's a wonderful piece of kit, very easy to

use, and gives great views, I'm more than happy with mine, collimation

is easy, not as daunting as all newbies think (and I was one of them).

You won't be disappointed with the 200p.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's  

Hi and welcome to SGL - The scope you mention is very well considered in visual circles. If I was ever so inclined to actually look through a scope, I think that's what I'd get.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hello I also had a Skyliner 200P Dob - the optics were superb - I should never have sold it !!!!!

It's a really good allrounfer - planets and deepsky for an wxcellent price.

If you decide you want tracking/GOTO you can easily upgrade it......

post-1055-0-51263700-1409469720.jpg

Hi malwood9 - welcome to SGL.  I have the EQ mounted 220P having started out with a small newtonian.  The 200P tube is wonderful! Over the past 3 years I've upgraded just about everything else, but the tube is still the best I've used and often receives compliments for it's views of both solar system and DS objects.  Mine came with a single speed Crayford focuser to which I've added a variable speed micro-drive, but that is the only change...  apart from...   (and this is where you'll find there are two distinctly differing opinions) ...   the finderscope:  mine has only ever been fitted to the tube "for display purposes" at public astronomy demonstrations given by my local Society.  I have never used the thing!   Instead, I use a Telrad finder - far more 'comfortable' to use and much quicker at getting to where you want to be pointing!  Rather than expand on it any further, I'll just suggest that you make it a subject for further investigation.  Have fun with whatever you decide upon!

Clear skies!

Archived