Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do filters really increase detail?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't find filters that useful on the planets or the moon personally. I have tried a number of different types but overall I prefer the unfiltered views of these targets.

On nebulae and especially planetary nebulae and super nova remnants such as the Veil Nebula, a narrowband filter such as a UHC or a line filter such as an O-III can make a significant difference to what can be seen. These filters work by blocking the unwanted wavelengths of light letting the ones through that these objects emit so the background stars dim a bit, the sky darkens and the contrast of the target object is increased, sometimes quite substantially.

In answer to your question "Do filters increase details?"  Well, yes and no.  

As far as I understand it, this is how colour/nebulae filters work.  

These selective filters (i.e. ones which let through more of one wavelength of light than another wavelength light) are designed to increase contrast in the image on your eye. Your brain perceives fine differences of contrast  and colour as what we call detail.  

So if you're using a suitable contrast filter is there more detail there?  No, you can only get more detail by having increased resolution and that needs bigger and/or better optics. Does your brain perceive more detail?   Yes, contrast is improved and your brain can therefore make out more of the details that is already in the image on your eye.

I hope this helps.

PS I'll second the recommendation of a Neodymium filter.

my experience reflects Stu's exactly.

I agree that filters tend to only enhance features which are there in the non-filtered view and often when you remove the filter you can then see the feature without. I suppose that's why they are called filters - they remove what you don't want allowing you to see what you do want more clearly.

It can also depend on the telescope. For a refractor with good but not perfect colour correction or a reflector with good but not exceptional optics I find the right filter has the capability to enhance the continents on mars but if the scope is bang on then generally I prefer the view without. Can't say I've ever found filters that useful on the other planets myself though I have friends who swear by them - and occasionally at them :D

OIII, UHC etc, are of course a different story. The way light pollution is going we're gonna need filters to see the moon!

I think a lot depends on the size of

the scope.My C11 was a lot better with

them on luner & planets.It cut down a

lot of the glare.With my 4 " refractor

I don't use them. This is what I use.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

Just what I find.

Steve

Yeah,my telescope has got meade gso optics 92% reflectivity and diffraction limited 1\12wawefront. Can't i just use sunglasses?

Is it a Lightbridge ?

They sound like the standard GSO specs - 1/12 wave RMS = 1/4 wave PV = about diffraction limited.

I don't find filters that useful on the planets or the moon personally. I have tried a number of different types but overall I prefer the unfiltered views of these targets.

On nebulae and especially planetary nebulae and super nova remnants such as the Veil Nebula, a narrowband filter such as a UHC or a line filter such as an O-III can make a significant difference to what can be seen. These filters work by blocking the unwanted wavelengths of light letting the ones through that these objects emit so the background stars dim a bit, the sky darkens and the contrast of the target object is increased, sometimes quite substantially.

Viewing the moon when full is impossible with out a filter ?,

Depends on the filter that is in use, a blue filter on Mars is not much use, whereas I have read that an IR filter on it is.

And yes I know you do not see IR but that is reported on many occasions.

All an ND filter does is reduce everything, so they are realistically for comfort not an effect of removing a section of the spectrum. However if the viewing is more comfortable you tend to look at the object longer and possibly better.

One thing to remember is that any filter removes part of the spectrum, it does not add.

Concerning buying one, a thread elsewhere said the only one worthwhile was an OIII, don't ask me why, I have no idea. There are however different quality OIII filters so that is another aspect.

Viewing the moon when full is impossible with out a filter ?,

It's not that interesting when it's full but I don't find it a problem even with my 12" dob. Obviously I'd not go searching for faint DSO's immediately after viewing the Moon but then faint DSO's are mostly off the menu when there is a bright Moon in the sky.

Really the question is what does the OP want a filter for and to do?

The question is too broad.

Is it simply the moon is too bright - looks like that owing to the comment of wearing sunglasses, which in astronomy is a questionble idea.

Is it light pollution and so what wavelengths are the problem.

I think there are about 3 possibilities for LP reduction filters at present, so again the question is what is the filter requied to do.

If it is to help viewing DSO there are generally 2 filters that are used for this but again what is the problem.

Even in planetary filters there are (were) a few available from TV that were reported to aid this aspect.

So when viewing through the scope what is being observed and what is the problem that is being encounterd?

Buying a filter at what almost appears to be random, is only aiding the retailer from which it was purchased.

I am a fan of filters for lunar and planetary, from simply reducing the moons glare to isolating subtle planetary features that would be swamped with unfiltered viewing they are a worthwhile addition to any astronomers gear.

Planetary filters have been around for well over a hundred years and used by many famous observers so they do something :-)

As for teasing dim dsos out, I wouldnt be without my lpr, h beta and o111 lumicons.

If the problem is that the moon is too bright then increasing magnification will help a bit too, and doesn't require filters. But I find looking at the moon at all knocks out your dark-adaption. It won't damage your eyes, though.

I have a 10"lightbridge yes.

If the glare of the MOON is that bright I'll just wear sunglasses instead of buying expensive filters or just look at it and get used to the light.I'll buy a neodynium filter definetly and a blue filter.

It's not that interesting when it's full but I don't find it a problem even with my 12" dob. Obviously I'd not go searching for faint DSO's immediately after viewing the Moon but then faint DSO's are mostly off the menu when there is a bright Moon in the sky.

I find it a prob with the 16"

I find it a prob with the 16"

By all means use a filter then :smiley:

Each time this comes up a range of preferences come forward and that's to be expected perhaps.

As has been posted earlier, when you increase the magnification the effective brightness reduces. I just don't find it a problem.

Hiya,

I bought a Revelation astro #82A filter back in the spring, as I was told it would help when viewing Mars. This link suggested it I think: http://agenaastro.com/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html

I've used it a few times, but haven't really seen any benefit from it. I actually tried it at the weekend on some galaxies, as it is also supposed to help with faint detail, such as spiral arms, etc. Can't say I noticed any difference.

I'll keep hold of it, and will probably try it again from time to time, under different seeing conditions, etc, but I don't expect much form it, to be honest.

An OIII is on my wish list, tho.

Kev

Archived