Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First post - be nice :).

dynamo hum

As I've mentioned in my introduction, I've not got round to getting to the observing stage of this new hobby of mine yet but I have done some images of the moon now and again with my camera. This one was taken about a week ago (I think that means it was the moon was in the last quarter?). I normally shoot with an Olympus E-3, and used a 50-200mm lens @200mm + EC-14 extension to give me 280mm focal length (though it's double that in 35mm 'old money' if that makes sense :D). I've obviously cropped it as I'd need quite a bit more length to fill the frame, but anyway - it is what it is.

2271183832_3b69484279_o.jpg.

How can you possibly expect us to be nice when your first post is that good? A very nice image indeed and there is a lot of colour data captured there as well if you wanted to make an enhanced colour version. Either way, a great image for a first post!

Well you are imaging the moon like a pro. Paul.

I don't know the Olympus E-3, but it has produced a great image here. I have the E-500, which also produced good lunar images.

Just keep posting them up when you get them.

Well done.

Ron. :D

Thanks guys :D. I feel a bit of a cheat as this was a crop of a shot taken with a DSLR and a normal telephoto lens - nothing like the magnification I see here.

I've made my first step into proper observing today :lol:. Placed an order for a pair of Revelation 15-70 binoculars and tripod adapter. I was outside just now and the skies were very clear. I've always loved just gazing upwards from since I was a child, but for some reason never made the progression into astronomy. If I can get a few nights like now when my binos arrive I'll be very happy. Still so much to learn - but hopefully lots of time to do it in.

OK - well now I don't feel such a cheat using a long telephoto on a DSLR, here are a couple I took last year when we had that amazing lunar eclipse.

This first shot was as the eclipse was starting.

moonshot1.jpg

This was at the full eclipse, but unfortunately is not very sharp. I didn't realise how quickly the moon moved across the field of view and so my shutter speed was too slow! I was hoping to apply what I'd learned from that for last week's eclipse, but sadly it was just too cloudy :D.

9693d1172967947-mooney-11-rule-moonshot4.jpg

Great images Paul :D:lol:, let alone for a first post.

You will be surprised what you can image with your setup, providing you keep the exposures short (longer the focal length the shorter your exposures will require to be) you can image a wide variety of objects you can image.

Keep the images coming.

Brendan

Archived