Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lining up the sun for viewing

I have just purchased a solar filter for my SW 150PL which fits inside the OTA nicely so I am ready to go, when the clouds part!  

I am aware that I need to remove the viewfinder or ensure the caps are on, any other do's and dont's for safety? Whilst the sun is a large object and it is approximately clear where to aim the scope, how do I line it up without actually looking at the sun, which of course I don't want to do - seems like something of a conundrum? 

Use the shadow of the OTA, or you could build yourself a little solar finder easily enough. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/157629-ideas-for-a-homeade-solar-finder/ 

I like the 'bent aluminium with a hole' approach - it's very like the finder that came with my solar scope.

Of course, you'd still have to align it...  ... which probably means finding the sun....

Thanks, could you explain what you mean by the OTA shadow method please?

It just means looking at the shadow your scope is casting on the ground, them moving the scope until it is minimized, and round. That means the scope is pointing at the sun and is the method I use with my fracs but the same principle with work with your scope.

I've never felt the need for a solar finder, and usually get it pretty quickly even at x50 or 60

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can't find it just pop open the clutches and slew around a bit, it's fairly easy to find as it doesn't matter much if your not in focus when looking for something so big and bright.

I think the sun is too big to use a bahnitov mask on, even at low magnification it fills most of the view.

Just use the sunspots and the edge of the sun as a guide to focusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bye the way - can you use a Bahtinov mask in conjunction with a solar filter for focusing?

No..a Bahtinov only works on a point source of light.

Using the limb of the Sun, or if using high magnification, a sunspot is the best option.

Just bought an Lunt LS60DS and didn't find finding the Sun that easy as anywhere near the Sun shows a red fuzzy ball in the eyepiece, shadow method didn't help as it's stuck on the LX200 with several other things so not a very good shadow, once you find the actual Sun it's pretty obvious but  I bought a TV Sol Searcher (DIY is all very well but some ones got to keep the astro shops in business :) ) once aligned it's spot on every time, or at least the three times the Suns actually been out since I bought it.  :grin:

Dave

I will admit that shadow method works best on a frac, trying on the mak and the fact that it's about as wide as it is long causes issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With refractor on EQ mount works excellently, with 10" SCT on wedge with guidescope, finder and Solar scope and other junk hanging off it not so clear :)

Dave

shadow method works very well!

Dave

After fitting the filter to the telescope I remove the eyepiece from the focuser and look down it from a suitable distance for the bright area sweeping in az then alt, or with an eq mount sweeping in dec then ra. This method will not focus the sun, and will also indicate small pinpricks in the solar film if any are present.

Archived