Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific 100º Eyepieces - Family Reunion

I finally managed to get my hands on the Explore Scientific 5.5mm 100-deg.  Apparently they're out of stock almost everywhere I looked in the UK and Europe. A word with  Explore Scientific in Germany and they managed to secure one for me.

And here's a bunch of photos of the EP...and EP family reunion... :)

Review yet to come as I'm still waiting for my streetlight to be sorted out and my scope to arrive!!

post-27451-0-25671900-1404213173_thumb.j

post-27451-0-78790900-1404213175_thumb.j

post-27451-0-55113600-1404213178_thumb.j

post-27451-0-12023300-1404213212_thumb.j

post-27451-0-94568500-1404213216_thumb.j

post-27451-0-95913000-1404213222_thumb.j

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are these like in 300p you have and stretched stars around the edges ect.?

Pat

I only used the 20mm and 14mm on the 12". They were fantastic. Coma is around the very far edge of the FOV...barely visible. I compared the 14mm with a 13mm Ethos ...The performance was nearly identical. If anything I found the ES slightly more comfortable.

very nice Emad :)

you are missing one. the 25mm ES 100 deg :D

I know, Gaidis. :) I just think the 25mm doesn't make much sense...magnification and field of view is not massively different to the 20mm. I'd rather go for the 30mm 82-deg ...It will give me less power with more field of view...then again, 80% of my observing is 20mm down...I think Explore Scientific are also introducing a 3" 30mm 100 - degree eyepiece. Imagine the size of that beast and of course you will need a 3" adapter...or probably a new scope :D

Thats a lovely family of EP's you have there Emad :) As a proud ES82 owner is there much difference other than FOV? i.e. the quality of views with the ES82 are lovely but you do need to get your eye right in there to see more than a porthole view, is that the same with the 100's?

Chris

Yes, Chris. With the 100 - degree you need to move your head around to see all the field of sometimes. Literally a spaceship window effect - especially with low power ones...even the Mrs who doesn't have much of a clue about EPs agrees they are different.

I have 20mm, 14mm and 9mm and im going to get the 5.5mm when I have my scope finished but as I have the 2x focal extender I will be ok if I dont.i wanted the 25mm but the exit pupil in the 22" will be too much.the 20mm may be borderline yet

Lovely set of grenades, I'm just a wee bit jealous.

You don't need to be...they're not that expensive. Great value for money...plus it took me almost a year to buy them all  :D We're all poor in this world :D

Thats a lovely family of EP's you have there Emad :) As a proud ES82 owner is there much difference other than FOV? i.e. the quality of views with the ES82 are lovely but you do need to get your eye right in there to see more than a porthole view, is that the same with the 100's?

Chris

have both 100 deg and 82 deg (20mm in 100 and 30mm in 82),optically very nice and sharp eye pieces,100 degree will be showing you more coma on outer edge on fast scopes,but it gets very well corrected with coma corrector in likes of Paracorr type 1 or 2. Keep in mind,100 deg versions are quite bulky and heavy and can upset your scopes balance very easy.Reasonably good eye relief,shows good dark background,i like 20mm 100deg for sort of low power and it does get a lot of use in my 14".Unfortunately the 9mm didnt get that much use and found its new home at Emads EP case :D ,I just found that i dont need that 100 deg views on high powers and replaced them with a set of vintage Meade UWA in 84 degrees.Much lighter (apart of the beastly 14mm) and gives me exact FOV what i want. 

There will be NO optical difference between your 82 deg and 100 deg versions apart of FOV.I personally think that 82 deg version is even a tiny bit sharper and less demanding eye piece as the 100 degree version. Also 100 degree is either hit or miss.You will either love it or hate it.I like them on low power just for the share size of FOV,but i found 100 degrees distracting on high powers.But thats me and someone else might be different.Emad seems to like that space walk so nothing wrong with it.one thing for sure,ES are very good quality EPs and great bang for your hard earned money.

Emad,you can loose the 20mm and replace it with 25mm,as one option if 100 degs are the target for you,or yea,get the 30mm one.Its a lovely EP and I am keeping mine too!

I only used the 20mm and 14mm on the 12". They were fantastic. Coma is around the very far edge of the FOV...barely visible. I compared the 14mm with a 13mm Ethos ...The performance was nearly identical. If anything I found the ES slightly more comfortable.

Was looking for a low power ep for the 16" they look and sound great

Pat

Was looking for a low power ep for the 16" they look and sound great

Pat

If your scope is a fast one f/4 or lower...then you're probably better off with a coma corrector. This will apply to the more expensive EPs as well. Either way, the 20mm is ideal for the 16". The 82-deg 30mm is perfect for wide field low power observing.

have both 100 deg and 82 deg (20mm in 100 and 30mm in 82),optically very nice and sharp eye pieces,100 degree will be showing you more coma on outer edge on fast scopes,but it gets very well corrected with coma corrector in likes of Paracorr type 1 or 2. Keep in mind,100 deg versions are quite bulky and heavy and can upset your scopes balance very easy.Reasonably good eye relief,shows good dark background,i like 20mm 100deg for sort of low power and it does get a lot of use in my 14".Unfortunately the 9mm didnt get that much use and found its new home at Emads EP case :D ,I just found that i dont need that 100 deg views on high powers and replaced them with a set of vintage Meade UWA in 84 degrees.Much lighter (apart of the beastly 14mm) and gives me exact FOV what i want. 

There will be NO optical difference between your 82 deg and 100 deg versions apart of FOV.I personally think that 82 deg version is even a tiny bit sharper and less demanding eye piece as the 100 degree version. Also 100 degree is either hit or miss.You will either love it or hate it.I like them on low power just for the share size of FOV,but i found 100 degrees distracting on high powers.But thats me and someone else might be different.Emad seems to like that space walk so nothing wrong with it.one thing for sure,ES are very good quality EPs and great bang for your hard earned money.

Emad,you can loose the 20mm and replace it with 25mm,as one option if 100 degs are the target for you,or yea,get the 30mm one.Its a lovely EP and I am keeping mine too!

Yep, 30mm is on the list. But I guess I need to scope to arrive first :D

Archived