Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyra's other Double Double

Hi all.   Last night, 21st June, I was out with my 70mm Pronto.

After viewing Saturn & Mars at around 22.15 (BST) the sky was dark enough to observe the brighter double stars.  After those, thought I'd check out some fainter ones.

Most of you will know the famous Double Double near Vega, but some may not be familiar with Lyra's other Double Double, Struve 2470 / 2474.  It's easy to find, it forms a triangle with Sulafat & OC Stephenson 1.    I've put an arrow to show its position on the attached star map.

At 20x and 3.4 degree field in the Pronto, all 4 stars of 2470 & 2474 were a nice sight, but at 53x and 1.5 deg field, the view was better with the darker sky background.

Details here :-

Struve 2470 - Mag 7.0 / 8.4, Separation 14"

Struve 2474 - Mag 6.8 / 7.9, Separation 16"

Regards, Ed.

post-6906-0-86853300-1403428322_thumb.jp

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work Ed, I've not got into splitting doubles yet but I can see the fascination

Hi Knobby, I just love viewing doubles, partly because they are little affected by light pollution  ( I live half a mile north of Southend town centre )

I get as much fun chasing down doubles from my backyard, as I do hunting faint stuff from a dark site, and of course get far more opportunities from my garden.

Regards, Ed.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm going to give this a look see next time i'm out.

mike

Good one Ed,

I did not know about these doubles. ... But coming to think about it, there's a lot I do not know !!

I have taken note of these stars and highlighted them on my Uranometria star charts ( vol 1, p49).

I will have to wait until the middle of August to get a good look at Lyra. Vega transits at an altitude of about 20degrees.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Hi Knobby, I just love viewing doubles, partly because they are little affected by light pollution  ( I live half a mile north of Southend town centre )

I get as much fun chasing down doubles from my backyard, as I do hunting faint stuff from a dark site, and of course get far more opportunities from my garden.

Regards, Ed.

I think doubles are much nicer to look at than feint fuzzies!

I totally agree!! and you never run out of new ones to look at ..But once you start to get into the dimmer pairs it become quite a challenge to even find them...

mike

I was looking at this last Thursday - A lovely pair of doubles that are curiously parallel and equal.

What atlas was that from, Ed?

Hi AndyWB, the pic was from my Cambridge Double Star Atlas.  I've been told it's out of print, and people are asking silly money......

Sorry, but mine's not for sale.............wait a mo...........someone's offered me £250.......... :grin:

Regards, Ed.

You get a more consistent view with doubles no matter when you view them but depending on lunar cycle the view of the same fuzzy can be like chalk and cheese, at new moon some fuzzies can be FAR from feint!  :grin:

Hi AndyWB, the pic was from my Cambridge Double Star Atlas.  I've been told it's out of print, and people are asking silly money......

Sorry, but mine's not for sale.............wait a mo...........someone's offered me £250.......... :grin:

Regards, Ed.

I have this atlas, it's THE classic guide to doubles, apart from the WDS.

well I think tonight looks good for a shot at seeing this double double ..Lets hope the clouds stay away..if it turns out well I will let you guys know of my evening..

mike h

I'm on it right now its 21.59 est usa ..I need to wait a while for it to get darker. Very nice

mike h

I'm on it right now its 21.59 est usa ..I need to wait a while for it to get darker. Very nice

mike h

Hi Mike h, that's a great thing about double stars, can be seen well in less than dark skies, light pollution has minimal impact, moon can be up......... :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

It was well worth the effort a very nice pair. I had a 25mm plossl in the scope when I first seen it and that split it nicely ...But then I put in a 7.5 epic ed 2 in and that combo framed it nicely. I'm going to give it another shoot when the moon is not so bright so I can get a better look at the surrounding star field ..Thanks Ed for call out attention to this STF pair..

mike h  

Yes, a very nice double double indeed - I love the way the pairs are parallel and the intensities match with the most intense of each pair on the same side. despite the haze and moonlight  :eek: , I could see a few field stars between and next to, the pairs. best with a 32mm EP (x50) with my Mak.

As the seeing was so good, I wandered across to some of the other nearby doubles including Lambda and Delta Cyg best split I've had of Lambda so far.

Chris

Yes, a very nice double double indeed - I love the way the pairs are parallel and the intensities match with the most intense of each pair on the same side. despite the haze and moonlight  :eek: , I could see a few field stars between and next to, the pairs. best with a 32mm EP (x50) with my Mak.

As the seeing was so good, I wandered across to some of the other nearby doubles including Lambda and Delta Cyg best split I've had of Lambda so far.

Chris

they really do match nicely don't they chris ..when it gets darker i'm going to give them another go over and see what colors I can come up with..

mike h

Archived